Millisecond Forums

trialcode doesn't match stimulusitem in the data file

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic11182.aspx

By lulu - 9/10/2013

I  am trying to finish a picture stroop experiment. I wrote the script and tried to run, however, I found that the pictures in the trialcode  doesn't match the stimulusitem, three examples are listed below:

date      time   subject     trialcode               blockcode   blocknum   trialnum   latency                    response                             stimulusitem1   stimulusitem2

091113   19:13   1        picturemcwn1.BMP      M                     2                98          684     m-o_1_091113_1913_2_98.wav                     +               moincon4.BMP

091113   19:13   1        picturemscon4.BMP     M                   2               99          684     m-o_1_091113_1913_2_99.wav                       +                moincon7.BMP

091113   19:13   1           picturemsn2.BMP      M                    2              100        1101   m-o_1_091113_1913_2_100.wav                     +                 moincon6.BMP

Another question, how to remove the white frame in the instruction page (inclose a picture in the attachment)?

These are part of my script:

<item picture>

/1="mcwn1.BMP"

/2="msn2.BMP"  

……

/100="mon4.BMP"

</item>

<picture mcwn1.BMP>

/items = picture

/position=(50%,50%)

</picture>

<picture msn2.BMP>

/items = picture

/position=(50%,50%)

</picture>

……

<picture mon4.BMP>

/items = picture

/position=(50%,50%)

</picture>

<text fixation>

/items = ("+")

/ color = (255, 255, 255)

/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)

/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 40pt)

/ erase = false

</text>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** INSTRUCTION PAGES *****

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<page page1>

^^^

+

</page>

<instruct> 

/ screencolor = (0,0,0)

/ nextkey = (" ")

/ lastlabel = "Press the spacebar to continue"

/ nextlabel = "Press the spacebar to continue"

/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 40pt)

/ txcolor =  (255,255,255)

/ wait = 500

</instruct>

*** TRIALS *****

<trial picturemcwn1.BMP> 

/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation;1000=msn1.BMP]

/ responsetime = 1000

/ response = timeout(2000)

</trial>

<trial picturemsn2.BMP> 

/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation;1000=msn2.BMP]

/ responsetime = 1000

</trial>

……

<trial picturemon3.BMP> 

/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation;1000=msn3.BMP]

/ responsetime = 1000

</trial>

*** BLOCKS *****

<block practice>

/preinstructions=(page1)

/ bgstim = (fixation)

/ trials = [1-30 = noreplace(picturemcwcon1.BMP, picturemon2.BMP, picturemcwcon3.BMP……)

</block>

<block M>

/preinstructions=(page1)

/ bgstim = (fixation)

/ trials = [1-30 = noreplace(picturemcwcon1.BMP, picturemon2.BMP, picturemcwcon3.BMP……)

</block>

*** EXPERIMENT*****

<expt>

/ blocks = [1=practice;2=M]

</expt>

Could you please give me some help?

By Dave - 9/11/2013

I found that the pictures in the trialcode  doesn't match the stimulusitem,

There is no reason why they should match -- these are two completely unrelated things.

trialcode = name of the <trial> element

stimulusitem = the item displayed

Eyvery one of our <picture> elements samples randomly from 100 items, you cannot expect any given trial to select any particular item.

Another question, how to remove the white frame in the instruction page (inclose a picture in the attachment)?

It can't be removed. All you can do is increase the size of the instruction's "window" via the <instruct> element's /windowsize attribute.