Millisecond Forums

Data file location?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic12590.aspx

By tarcarter - 3/7/2014

Using a Mac, I've been trying to get Inquisit to save the data files in a subfolder, rather than in the folder where the script is located. I can get it to work with surveys like so:

<data>
/ file = "Data/"
</data>

Which saves the data file into the Data folder, but I can't seem to specify what the file should be called. So if I use

<data>
/ file = "Data/DataFile.iqdat"
</data>

It gives me an error saying that the file doesn't exist. Plus, when I try this approach on a more complex script like an IAT, replacing the default filename with "Data/" the data file does not save in the folder at all, just names the file "DataData_1_2014-03-07-22-35-20-723.iqdat". What am I doing wrong? There's precious little in the documentation about how to define a file path, especially on the Mac side.

Thanks!
By Dave - 3/7/2014

Does

/ file = "./Data/DataFile.iqdat"

work?
By tarcarter - 3/8/2014

No, that doesn't work -- it won't run the script with "./" at the front. I tried it several different ways (with and without the directory, with and without a file after the directory), and it always returns an error:

"Unable to access the data file at "./Data/". Verify this is a valid path.

By Dave - 3/8/2014

Thanks -- sounds like some sort of bug may be involved here. I'll make sure this gets looked into.
By gaumarjos - 9/25/2015

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same problem. v 4.0.8.0
By Dave - 9/26/2015

No, not yet. For the time being, it's best to simply use the default data file location, i.e., don't specify a custom path / subdirectory.
By seandr - 4/23/2018

To clarify, if all you want is data to appear in a subfolder, the following will work: 
<data>
/ file = "subfolder/"
</data>

What doesn't work in Inquisit 4 is specifying the subfolder and
file name. This has been fixed in Inquisit 5.

-Sean