Millisecond Forums

Script for Corrected Errors

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic14938.aspx

By ktsp1919 - 11/10/2014

I'm working on a simple program in which a stimulus number is presented and participants must enter that number in an open-ended trial. I'm assessing latency, correct responses, and (hopefully) corrected errors. A corrected error occurs when a submission would have been incorrect if the participant hadn't backspace-d to correct the error.

However, I can't figure out a script to assess corrected errors. I need something like:

<openended>
/ stimulusframes = [1=350]
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)
/ correctresponse = (350)
/ iscorrectederror = [openended.response includes a backspace && openended.response == 350]
\\ obviously, iscorrectederror is a made-up attribute \\
</openended>

In other words, I need a line of script that will give me a data output if the response included a backspace AND was a correct response, because that would be a corrected error.

Thanks in advance for your collective help!
By Dave - 11/10/2014

That's not possible using <openended> elements. The only thing you could do is evaluate the openended's firstcharlatency & lastcharlatency properties. If they are not identical, a correction must have occurred (assuming the input is a single character, such as a simple digit)).
By ktsp1919 - 11/12/2014

That's a really helpful suggestion and would've solved my problem if they were one-digit integers. Unfortunately, they're multi-digit. Thanks for the workaround!