Millisecond Forums

slider increments

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic17222.aspx

By victoriaestrada - 9/24/2015

Hello,

This is just a simple question that I cannot seem to find the answer to in any of the help documents/forums.

I have survey items using sliders; however, I want the slider position to be in between two numbers (e.g., scale from 1 to 6, and slider start position between 3 and 4... or 3.5). I tried to change the /increment = .5 and /defaultresponse = .5, but this does not seem to work. Can increments in the slider be non-whole numbers? If so, how do I do this?

Also, I want their responses to only be whole numbers. So, I hope to only start the slider between 3 and 4, but I only want them to be able to report a whole number between 1 and 6. Is this also possible, given that my starting point would be at 3.5?

Thanks in advance!

Example item:
<slider SDO9>
/ caption = "It would be good if groups could be equal."
/ labels = ("1~rVery~rnegative", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6~rVery~rpositive")
/ slidersize = (60%, 10%)
/ range = (1, 9)
/ showtooltips = false
/ required = true
</slider>
By Dave - 9/24/2015

As detailed in the documentation, the increment must be an integer (i.e. a whole number).

> Also, I want their responses to only be whole numbers. So, I hope to only start the slider between 3 and 4, but I only want them
> to be able to report a whole number between 1 and 6. Is this also possible, given that my starting point would be at 3.5?

The above is not possible. You cannot place the slider on a value that does not exist on the scale as a response.

The only thing you *could* do, is only allow those options that represent your "whole numbers" as /validresponse:

<slider SDO9>
/ caption = "It would be good if groups could be equal."
/ labels = ("1~rVery~rnegative", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6~rVery~rpositive")
/ slidersize = (60%, 10%)
/ range = (1, 9)
/ validresponse = ("1","3","5","7","9")
/ showtooltips = false
/ required = true
</slider>

<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=SDO9]
</surveypage>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mypage]
</block>

This seems a bit awkward, though, and the other options will still be selectable.
By victoriaestrada - 9/24/2015

Ha, just shows my knowledge of the definition of integer! Thanks very much!