Millisecond Forums

Layer objects

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic19707.aspx

By Eitan.Hemed - 9/18/2016

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to order two shapes and a video object in a way that the shapes are 'on top'/'at front' and the video is 'on the bottom'/'at the back' (So it is partly hidden by the shapes). I've seen some reference from a couple of years ago in that topic regarding ordering the objects in a 'bottom to top' order through the stimulusframes attribute
(for example /stimulusframes = [10 = partlyHiddenObject, objectPartlyHidingOtherObject ;]), but for some reason it doesn't work for me.

If you could take a look at this excrept and direct me towards the answer, i'd be thankful, currently the objects are layered but vid_a_item is presented on top of leftFlankRec and rightFlankRec, even though i've tried ordering them differently in the /stimulusframes attribute. This is the opposite of what i'm trying to achieve.

<trial lernen_a>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.vid1 = list.vid_a_itemnumbers.nextvalue; ]
/stimulusframes = [1 = maske, fixation; 66 = vid_a_item, rightFlankRec, leftFlankRec;]
/trialduration = 1
/recorddata = true
/ontrialend = [values.datei = (video.vid_a_item.currentitem)]
</trial>

Thanks again.
Eitan
By Dave - 9/18/2016

Layering wont work like that if the stimulus in the "background" is a video -- the screen area occupied by the video must be constantly refreshed (otherwise there'd be no "moving pictures"), i.e., any *static* stimulus you put in the same area will immediately be overwritten by the video again (the static stimulus would be visible for a single frame, i.e., until that screen area refreshes / gets redrawn the next time for the video to keep playing).

The solution is to *not* use static stimuli here, but to have your "occluder" stimuli to also be <video>s (that just show a black screen for example).
By Eitan.Hemed - 9/19/2016

Thanks, i'll try to implement that.
Can videos overlap in Inquisit? Would it work that way (ordering via stimulusframes)?
By Dave - 9/20/2016

> Can videos overlap in Inquisit? Would it work that way (ordering via stimulusframes)?

Yes.