Millisecond Forums

Modification of AAT trials

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic20225.aspx

By alexa - 11/23/2016

Hello,

I have a question concerning the AAT. Imodified this script (Katja Borchert, APPROACH-AVOIDANCE-TASK (AAT), lastupdated: 09-04-2014) because I would like to compare approach- andavoidance-tendencies towards high and low caloric food. I listed themodifications at the end of the script.

I don’tknow if it’s possible to modify the AAT the way I would like: Instead of using4 categories (alcohol, non-alcohol, good pictures, bad pictures; 10 pictureseach; 2 times presented --> 80 stimuli), I would like to have 2 categoriesbut the same amount of trials (high vs. lowcaloric foods; 20 pictures each; 2times presented --> 80stimuli). After I have done my modifications, the raw data consisted of only 50(10 practice, 40 experimental) trials so I suppose I must have made a mistake. I put thescript (and the sequence generator) in the attachment. What do I have to change that it works the way I want?

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

By Dave - 11/24/2016

alexa - Thursday, November 24, 2016

Hello,

I have a question concerning the AAT. Imodified this script (Katja Borchert, APPROACH-AVOIDANCE-TASK (AAT), lastupdated: 09-04-2014) because I would like to compare approach- andavoidance-tendencies towards high and low caloric food. I listed themodifications at the end of the script.

I don’tknow if it’s possible to modify the AAT the way I would like: Instead of using4 categories (alcohol, non-alcohol, good pictures, bad pictures; 10 pictureseach; 2 times presented --> 80 stimuli), I would like to have 2 categoriesbut the same amount of trials (high vs. lowcaloric foods; 20 pictures each; 2times presented --> 80stimuli). After I have done my modifications, the raw data consisted of only 50(10 practice, 40 experimental) trials so I suppose I must have made a mistake. I put thescript (and the sequence generator) in the attachment. What do I have to change that it works the way I want?

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

If you want to use the sequence generator, you also need to adjust the category counts in the <values> element inside AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx:
If I understood your description and the changes you made in the "main" AAT script (AAT_test.iqx) correctly, you'll want to set a value of 20 for /count1 to /count4 in the sequence generation script.
By alexa - 11/24/2016

Dave - Thursday, November 24, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

If you want to use the sequence generator, you also need to adjust the category counts in the <values> element inside AAT_SequenceGenerator.iqx:
If I understood your description and the changes you made in the "main" AAT script (AAT_test.iqx) correctly, you'll want to set a value of 20 for /count1 to /count4 in the sequence generation script.

Okay, thanks for your hint! I now changed the sequence-generator script (I put it in the attachment and listed the changes in the script), but there must be an error: "expression 'values.totaltrialcount' is invalid. Do I have to change further parameters?

Thanks a lot for your help, Dave!
Alexa

By Dave - 11/25/2016

alexa - Friday, November 25, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

Okay, thanks for your hint! I now changed the sequence-generator script (I put it in the attachment and listed the changes in the script), but there must be an error: "expression 'values.totaltrialcount' is invalid. Do I have to change further parameters?

Alexa

#1: The sequence generator script will not run in isolation. It is integrated in the "main" AAT_test.iqx script via an <include>. values.totaltrialcount resides in AAT_test.iqx. i.e., This error will go away when you run the AAT_test.script.
#2: There is an additional minor change you need to make to the sequence generator script: Remove the invalid categories (5 to 8) from <list stimcats>. You only want categories 1 to 4.

See the attached script. I've added a simple <trial> to <block SequenceGenerator> that will display the generated sequence and its length on-screen. This gives you an easy way to verify that things work as they should. Simply remove the trial from the block once you are done with testing.

By alexa - 11/27/2016

Dave - Friday, November 25, 2016
alexa - Friday, November 25, 2016

Hello,

Thank youvery much,

Alexa

Alexa

#1: The sequence generator script will not run in isolation. It is integrated in the "main" AAT_test.iqx script via an <include>. values.totaltrialcount resides in AAT_test.iqx. i.e., This error will go away when you run the AAT_test.script.
#2: There is an additional minor change you need to make to the sequence generator script: Remove the invalid categories (5 to 8) from <list stimcats>. You only want categories 1 to 4.

See the attached script. I've added a simple <trial> to <block SequenceGenerator> that will display the generated sequence and its length on-screen. This gives you an easy way to verify that things work as they should. Simply remove the trial from the block once you are done with testing.

Thanks a lot for your helpful advices, Dave! This works exactly the way it should!