Millisecond Forums

Feedback message after block based on performance

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic20824.aspx

By bellreavue - 2/21/2017

My task involves blocks of a flanker task. Each block runs through a sequence of two types of trials. I want participants who have >90% correct and <75% correct at the end of the block on one type of trial only (flankertrial) to see a message telling them to go faster or go slower (and participants who have between 75 and 90% percent correct on those trials to see nothing).

I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

But it came up with an error: the element 'speedfeedback' in branch expression 'speedfeedback' is the wrong element type. I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

My next attempt was to add a branch to my <trial flankertrial>: 
/ branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

Error: expression contains an unknown element or property name. 

I'm thinking that the trial.flankertrial.count won't work because the count would always be 1 within the trial, which is why my first instinct was to add something to the block level. At this point I'm not sure how I can specify that participants should see a simple text message after the block depending on their percent correct on one of the two trial types. Any ideas?

By Dave - 2/21/2017

bellreavue - Tuesday, February 21, 2017
My task involves blocks of a flanker task. Each block runs through a sequence of two types of trials. I want participants who have >90% correct and <75% correct at the end of the block on one type of trial only (flankertrial) to see a message telling them to go faster or go slower (and participants who have between 75 and 90% percent correct on those trials to see nothing).

I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

But it came up with an error: the element 'speedfeedback' in branch expression 'speedfeedback' is the wrong element type. I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

My next attempt was to add a branch to my <trial flankertrial>: 
/ branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count == 80 && trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]

Error: expression contains an unknown element or property name. 

I'm thinking that the trial.flankertrial.count won't work because the count would always be 1 within the trial, which is why my first instinct was to add something to the block level. At this point I'm not sure how I can specify that participants should see a simple text message after the block depending on their percent correct on one of the two trial types. Any ideas?

> I tried adding this branch to my <block>: 
> / branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect < 90) trial.speedfeedback]
>/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.percentcorrect > 75) trial.accuracyfeedback]
> [...]
> I'm assuming this means I can't branch to a trial if I use it in the block element. 

Correct.

/branch-es must remain at the same "level":
A <trial> can /branch to another <trial>; a <trial> cannot /branch to a <block>.
A <block> can /branch to another <block>; a <block> cannot /branch to a <trial>.

Put the two trials in (a) feedback <block>(s) and /branch to those <block>(s).

> / branch [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]

is missing an equals-sign

/ branch = [if (trial.flankertrial.count < 80) notrial]