Millisecond Forums

Rotor Task Data Collection

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic21511.aspx

By aquirk - 5/5/2017

Hi,

I'm trying to use the pursuit rotor task script (with a few small changes), but when I do a trial run and look at the data, it's not correct. Specifically, the 'timeOnTarget_trial" column is recording numbers that are too high. It's saying I spent almost the whole time correctly on target, when I know I wasn't (I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time, and no matter what it's always registering as almost the whole time). I thought it was due to a change I made in the script, but when I went back to the original this was still happening. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it just my computer or a problem with the example script on Inquisit's website? 

Any help would be SO appreciated, thanks!
By Dave - 5/5/2017

aquirk - Friday, May 5, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to use the pursuit rotor task script (with a few small changes), but when I do a trial run and look at the data, it's not correct. Specifically, the 'timeOnTarget_trial" column is recording numbers that are too high. It's saying I spent almost the whole time correctly on target, when I know I wasn't (I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time, and no matter what it's always registering as almost the whole time). I thought it was due to a change I made in the script, but when I went back to the original this was still happening. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it just my computer or a problem with the example script on Inquisit's website? 

> I've tested it with my mouse on target for specific periods of time.

Could you specify *exactly* how? The ostensibly wrong numbers could be an artifact of the testing approach. E.g. if you, say, keep the mouse on-target for 3 seconds at the start of the trial, then move it off-target and never back on-target, that would violate (for lack of a better term) an assumption in the code and throw off the calculation.
By Dave - 5/5/2017

Dave - Friday, May 5, 2017
Hi,

Could you specify *exactly* how? The ostensibly wrong numbers could be an artifact of the testing approach. E.g. if you, say, keep the mouse on-target for 3 seconds at the start of the trial, then move it off-target and never back on-target, that would violate (for lack of a better term) an assumption in the code and throw off the calculation.

Okay, working off the above guess, I've slightly revised the code in a manner that should avoid the somewhat flawed assumption [1]. The revised script is attached. Can you give this a few test spins and let me know if you still see times that seem "off"?

[1] The code was premised on the assumption that a participant would make a "good faith" effort to move back on-target after slipping off-target.
By aquirk - 5/7/2017

Hi,

Okay, working off the above guess, I've slightly revised the code in a manner that should avoid the somewhat flawed assumption [1]. The revised script is attached. Can you give this a few test spins and let me know if you still see times that seem "off"?

[1] The code was premised on the assumption that a participant would make a "good faith" effort to move back on-target after slipping off-target.

Yes this file works perfectly thank you so much!!! Is there anything I need to know about the code before making changes beyond the "editable parameters"?? In the original file I added a few different types of rotation trials, etc. Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?
By Dave - 5/7/2017

aquirk - Monday, May 8, 2017
Hi,

Yes this file works perfectly thank you so much!!! Is there anything I need to know about the code before making changes beyond the "editable parameters"?? In the original file I added a few different types of rotation trials, etc. Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?

> Will that affect this at all, or should I be okay?

Changing the parameters should not affect things at all / should be perfectly okay.