Millisecond Forums

Presenting just one randomly picked item out of a pool of items

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic21653.aspx

By Clara - 5/23/2017

Hey there!

I have several pictures of 5 different categories, each category containing 7 pictures. I struggle to find any way to let the program just pick one picture out of the seven pictures randomly. So that every participant is presented with just one randomly chosen picture out of the category. I know how to show them all randomly or in a row, but I am not able to figure out how I can restrict this to just one item. 

If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate this a lot! 

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

So here is one example of the category "As_forced". I want that every participant just is presented with one item out of the seven items. 

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Clara
By Dave - 5/23/2017

Clara - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Hey there!

I have several pictures of 5 different categories, each category containing 7 pictures. I struggle to find any way to let the program just pick one picture out of the seven pictures randomly. So that every participant is presented with just one randomly chosen picture out of the category. I know how to show them all randomly or in a row, but I am not able to figure out how I can restrict this to just one item. 

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

So here is one example of the category "As_forced". I want that every participant just is presented with one item out of the seven items. 

Cheers, Clara

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = noreplace
/ selectionrate = experiment
</picture>

The /selectionrate attribute determines how often a selection is performed. If you want to only select one random item and keep that across the entire experiment, /selectionrate = experiment should be what you want. If you need more flexibility, you can use <values> as in

<values>
/ as_forced_itemnumber = 1
</values>

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = values.as_forced_itemnumber
</picture>

with

<list as_forced_itemnumbers>
/ items = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
</list>

and then select one of those item numbers as needed, e.g. /onexptbegin

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [values.as_forced_itemnumber = list.as_forced_itemnumbers.nextvalue; ]
</expt>

By Clara - 5/23/2017

Dave - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Clara - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Hey there!

<item As_forced>
/1 = "As -3"
/2 = "As -2"
/3 = "As -1"
/4 = "As 0"
/5 = "As +1"
/6 = "As +2"
/7 = "As +3"
</item>

Cheers, Clara

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

The /selectionrate attribute determines how often a selection is performed. If you want to only select one random item and keep that across the entire experiment, /selectionrate = experiment should be what you want. If you need more flexibility, you can use <values> as in

<values>
/ as_forced_itemnumber = 1
</values>

<picture example>
/ items = As_forced
/ select = values.as_forced_itemnumber
</picture>

with

<list as_forced_itemnumbers>
/ items = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
</list>

and then select one of those item numbers as needed, e.g. /onexptbegin

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [values.as_forced_itemnumber = list.as_forced_itemnumbers.nextvalue; ]
</expt>

Thank you so much! :) I will try it out immediately!
By Clara - 5/23/2017

It's working fine! :) Thank you!

Just got a further question in this context. Is there any possibility to show this at the beginning shown item again during the experiment? Since it is randomly chosen I'm not sure how to let inquisit show the same randomly chosen picture (item) again. Any advice is highly appreciated! 

Cheers, 
Clara 
By Dave - 5/24/2017

Clara - Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Just got a further question in this context. Is there any possibility to show this at the beginning shown item again during the experiment? Since it is randomly chosen I'm not sure how to let inquisit show the same randomly chosen picture (item) again. Any advice is highly appreciated! 

Cheers, 
Clara 

If only one selection is performed for the the given <picture> element, you can simply display that <picture> element again at any time -- no new selection will be performed and thus it will display the exact same item.
By Clara - 5/29/2017

Dave - Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Clara - Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Cheers, 
Clara 

If only one selection is performed for the the given <picture> element, you can simply display that <picture> element again at any time -- no new selection will be performed and thus it will display the exact same item.

Thank you very much, it worked! 
By Clara - 5/29/2017

I hope I'm not annoying with this topic. However, now I got a really tricky issue to solve. Actually, the pictures which a randomly chosen display how participants shall perform on the following task e.g. "Show a moderat preference for Turks compared to Germans." Then they do the IAT. How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this moderate preference? I know there is a feedback function, which tells exactly what the results of the IAT are. However, since the picture, how the participants shall perform is randomly chosen at the beginning, I can't check whether they actually performed well or poorly... If you do not really understand what I'm describing here, please let me know. 

Thank you a lot for your help. Without it I would have probably get stuck already in the beginning.
By Dave - 5/30/2017

Clara - Tuesday, May 30, 2017
I hope I'm not annoying with this topic. However, now I got a really tricky issue to solve. Actually, the pictures which a randomly chosen display how participants shall perform on the following task e.g. "Show a moderat preference for Turks compared to Germans." Then they do the IAT. How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this moderate preference? I know there is a feedback function, which tells exactly what the results of the IAT are. However, since the picture, how the participants shall perform is randomly chosen at the beginning, I can't check whether they actually performed well or poorly... If you do not really understand what I'm describing here, please let me know. 

Thank you a lot for your help. Without it I would have probably get stuck already in the beginning.

> How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this
> moderate preference?

You need to encode what performance-level each picture item represents somewhere (e.g. in a <list> paired to the <picture> element; cf. the "How to present stimulus pairs" topic in the documentation.)

You then need to retrieve that information and check it against the existing feedback and/or the achieved expressions.d.
By Clara - 5/31/2017

Dave - Tuesday, May 30, 2017

> How can I tell Inquisit, that the picture means a "moderate preference for Turks compared to Germans" and let it then check whether participants were able to produce this
> moderate preference?

You need to encode what performance-level each picture item represents somewhere (e.g. in a <list> paired to the <picture> element; cf. the "How to present stimulus pairs" topic in the documentation.)

You then need to retrieve that information and check it against the existing feedback and/or the achieved expressions.d.

Thanks!! I managed the first part. However, I do not now how to retrieve that information and check it against the achieved expressions.d. 

This is my trail summary: 

<trial summary>
/ stimulustimes = [0=summary]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
/ ontrialbegin = [values.magnitude = "geringe bis gar keine"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.15 ) values.magnitude = "leichte"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.35 ) values.magnitude = "moderate"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.outgroupLabel.1]
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ items = ("As_-3.jpeg", "As_-2.jpeg")
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
/ select = picture.forced.currentindex
</text>

<trial forced>
/stimulusframes = [1 = forced]
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ stimulustimes = [0 = forced; 100 = forced_matched]
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

Now, Inquisit is showing the picture, which tells the participants which IAT level they need to achieve, at the beginning and at the end of the IAT it is showing the picture again and its corresponding meaning e.g. "-3" which is a strong negative preference. However, how can I tell Inquisit that this "-3" is the same as these both expressions form the summary trial:  

"/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]"
and
"/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]"?

Hope you understand, what I mean. 

Thank you a lot for all your replies! 

By Dave - 6/1/2017

Clara - Thursday, June 1, 2017

> moderate preference?

Thanks!! I managed the first part. However, I do not now how to retrieve that information and check it against the achieved expressions.d. 

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) > 0.35 ) values.magnitude = "moderate"]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.ingroupLabel.1]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0) expressions.notpreferred= item.outgroupLabel.1]
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

Now, Inquisit is showing the picture, which tells the participants which IAT level they need to achieve, at the beginning and at the end of the IAT it is showing the picture again and its corresponding meaning e.g. "-3" which is a strong negative preference. However, how can I tell Inquisit that this "-3" is the same as these both expressions form the summary trial:  

"/ ontrialbegin = [if( abs(expressions.d) >= 0.65 ) values.magnitude = "starke"]"
and
"/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d < 0.0) expressions.preferred = item.outgroupLabel.1]"?

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Pair your picture with values *directly* corresponding to the D-score cutoffs. I.e. a "strong negative preference" means something <= -0.65. I.e. your image item "As_-3.jpeg" should be paired with the value -0.65. Then compare that value directly against expressions.d (and so forth for the other image items and cutoffs). And don't use a <text> element paired to your <picture> -- use a <list>.
By Clara - 6/1/2017

Dave - Thursday, June 1, 2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Pair your picture with values *directly* corresponding to the D-score cutoffs. I.e. a "strong negative preference" means something <= -0.65. I.e. your image item "As_-3.jpeg" should be paired with the value -0.65. Then compare that value directly against expressions.d (and so forth for the other image items and cutoffs). And don't use a <text> element paired to your <picture> -- use a <list>.

Ok, got it, thank you. Just how can I compare the achieved expression.d (or d value) against a randomly chosen picture/value? 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

I mean how is the syntax for this command?
Something like... 
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0 && abs(expressions.d >= 0.65) ) expressions.magnitude= "You did it well!"  
.... there is missing something in the if part. Some expression that it also equals the value which was randomly chosen at the beginning...

By Dave - 6/1/2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

Ok, got it, thank you. Just how can I compare the achieved expression.d (or d value) against a randomly chosen picture/value? 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

Something like... 
/ ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0 && abs(expressions.d >= 0.65) ) expressions.magnitude= "You did it well!"  
.... there is missing something in the if part. Some expression that it also equals the value which was randomly chosen at the beginning...

You're not supposed to compare it against a picture item. You're supposed to compare the expressions.d against the value *associated* with the chosen item, -- call it the "target d", if you will --  and ask "is the achieved expressions.d in the range proscribed by the value associated with the selected picture item". If yes, then the participant did well / as told. If not, s/he failed.

> / ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0 && abs(expressions.d >= 0.65) ) expressions.magnitude= "You did it well!" 

I don't understand what the above is supposed to achieve. Why would you want to manipulate expressions.magnitude? You almost certainly don't want that.

To cut this short, how about this: Put your script and everything it needs (images, etc.) in a ZIP archive and attach the whole thing to this thread (click +Insert -> Add File). I'll fix it for you.
By Clara - 6/1/2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

Something like... 

You're not supposed to compare it against a picture item. You're supposed to compare the expressions.d against the value *associated* with the chosen item, -- call it the "target d", if you will --  and ask "is the achieved expressions.d in the range proscribed by the value associated with the selected picture item". If yes, then the participant did well / as told. If not, s/he failed.

> / ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.0 && abs(expressions.d >= 0.65) ) expressions.magnitude= "You did it well!" 

I don't understand what the above is supposed to achieve. Why would you want to manipulate expressions.magnitude? You almost certainly don't want that.

To cut this short, how about this: Put your script and everything it needs (images, etc.) in a ZIP archive and attach the whole thing to this thread (click +Insert -> Add File). I'll fix it for you.

Hey, very nice offer, however, my script is quite messy right now since I just try to figure out how it could work. I just wondered whether there is any command which would implement what you just wrote: "is the achieved expressions.d in the range proscribed by the value associated with the selected picture item"
Something like this?
/ontrialbegin = [if (expressions.d >= 0.65 && target.d >= 0.65)
values.perfectscore = true

By Dave - 6/1/2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

Something like... 

Hey, very nice offer, however, my script is quite messy right now since I just try to figure out how it could work. I just wondered whether there is any command which would implement what you just wrote: "is the achieved expressions.d in the range proscribed by the value associated with the selected picture item"
Something like this?

The logic you'd implement would be similar to what you find in <trial summary> -- and broadly similar to your example, yes. I'll just hack up a quick example using the standard IAT script. I'll add it to this thread once I'm done.
By Dave - 6/1/2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

Something like... 

Something like this?

The logic you'd implement would be similar to what you find in <trial summary> -- and broadly similar to your example, yes. I'll just hack up a quick example using the standard IAT script. I'll add it to this thread once I'm done.

The attached example should hopefully give you a better idea of one way to approach this. The bulk of the additions to the script (it's not a lot) are towards the bottom of the file. There are some minor modifications in <trial summary> and <text summary> as well, but those should be pretty self-explanatory. Hope this helps.
By Clara - 6/1/2017

> moderate preference?

<trial summary>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and my paring: 

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

<text forced_matched>
/ items = ("-3", "-2")
</text>

<trial forced>
/validresponse = (" ")
/posttrialpause = 250
</trial>

<trial matching>
/ validresponse = ("8")
</trial>

and

<picture forced>
/ select = noreplace
</picture>

Something like... 

Something like this?

The attached example should hopefully give you a better idea of one way to approach this. The bulk of the additions to the script (it's not a lot) are towards the bottom of the file. There are some minor modifications in <trial summary> and <text summary> as well, but those should be pretty self-explanatory. Hope this helps.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! What a help. It's working perfectly fine. I really appreciate all your help! 
By Clara - 6/2/2017

Hey, I got a (hopefully) last question. It's rather a new topic but I hope it is okay to post it here. 
I'm doing a study with 5 different IATs. I want to randomize all these IATs. I know there is this easy way with a batch file. However, at the beginning of the whole study the participants will receive these instructions of the target.d what you just explained to me, which tells them how they have to perform on every IAT. During the experiment Inquisit will check how they perform. So my problem is that I can't randomize the 5 IATs through a batch file because these target.d instructions need to be for all IATs together. If I would put them in different file, Inquisit would not relate the instructions to the IATs. So is there any possibility to randomize the IATs/blocks in one script file? 

This is my file, how it looks in the "expt" part... with 45 blocks for all the 5 IATs together:
<expt>
/blocks = [1=pictures_1; 2=compatibletestinstructions_1; 3=spacebar_compatible_1; 4=pictures_words_compatible_1; 5=pictures_reverse_1;
6=incompatibletestinstructions_1; 7=spacebar_incompatible_1; 8=pictures_words_incompatible_1; 9=summary_1; 10=pictures_2; 11=compatibletestinstructions_2; 12=spacebar_compatible_2; 13=pictures_words_compatible_2; 14=pictures_reverse_2;
15=incompatibletestinstructions_2; 16=spacebar_incompatible_2; 17=pictures_words_incompatible_2; 18=summary_2; 19=pictures_3; 20=compatibletestinstructions_3; 21=spacebar_compatible_3; 22=pictures_words_compatible_3; 23=pictures_reverse_3;
24=incompatibletestinstructions_3; 25=spacebar_incompatible_3; 26=pictures_words_incompatible_3; 27=summary_3; 28=pictures_4; 29=compatibletestinstructions_4; 30=spacebar_compatible_4; 31=pictures_words_compatible_4; 32=pictures_reverse_4;
33=incompatibletestinstructions_4; 34=spacebar_incompatible_4; 35=pictures_words_incompatible_4; 36=summary_4; 37=pictures_5; 38=compatibletestinstructions_5; 39=spacebar_compatible_5; 40=pictures_words_compatible_5; 41=pictures_reverse_5;
42=incompatibletestinstructions_5; 43=spacebar_incompatible_5; 44=pictures_words_incompatible_5; 45=summary_5]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]

Still missing is the target.d instruction at the beginning, which should be at the beginning for every participant. 

I again, would really appreciate some advice! Thank you

By Dave - 6/5/2017

Clara - Saturday, June 3, 2017
Hey, I got a (hopefully) last question. It's rather a new topic but I hope it is okay to post it here. 
I'm doing a study with 5 different IATs. I want to randomize all these IATs. I know there is this easy way with a batch file. However, at the beginning of the whole study the participants will receive these instructions of the target.d what you just explained to me, which tells them how they have to perform on every IAT. During the experiment Inquisit will check how they perform. So my problem is that I can't randomize the 5 IATs through a batch file because these target.d instructions need to be for all IATs together. If I would put them in different file, Inquisit would not relate the instructions to the IATs. So is there any possibility to randomize the IATs/blocks in one script file? 

This is my file, how it looks in the "expt" part... with 45 blocks for all the 5 IATs together:
<expt>
/blocks = [1=pictures_1; 2=compatibletestinstructions_1; 3=spacebar_compatible_1; 4=pictures_words_compatible_1; 5=pictures_reverse_1;
6=incompatibletestinstructions_1; 7=spacebar_incompatible_1; 8=pictures_words_incompatible_1; 9=summary_1; 10=pictures_2; 11=compatibletestinstructions_2; 12=spacebar_compatible_2; 13=pictures_words_compatible_2; 14=pictures_reverse_2;
15=incompatibletestinstructions_2; 16=spacebar_incompatible_2; 17=pictures_words_incompatible_2; 18=summary_2; 19=pictures_3; 20=compatibletestinstructions_3; 21=spacebar_compatible_3; 22=pictures_words_compatible_3; 23=pictures_reverse_3;
24=incompatibletestinstructions_3; 25=spacebar_incompatible_3; 26=pictures_words_incompatible_3; 27=summary_3; 28=pictures_4; 29=compatibletestinstructions_4; 30=spacebar_compatible_4; 31=pictures_words_compatible_4; 32=pictures_reverse_4;
33=incompatibletestinstructions_4; 34=spacebar_incompatible_4; 35=pictures_words_incompatible_4; 36=summary_4; 37=pictures_5; 38=compatibletestinstructions_5; 39=spacebar_compatible_5; 40=pictures_words_compatible_5; 41=pictures_reverse_5;
42=incompatibletestinstructions_5; 43=spacebar_incompatible_5; 44=pictures_words_incompatible_5; 45=summary_5]

Still missing is the target.d instruction at the beginning, which should be at the beginning for every participant. 

It should be possible to use <batch> and pass the information through to every script:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm

If you want to go the "all IATs in a single file" route, see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm
You would have to set up an <expt> element for each possible IAT-order.
By Clara - 6/5/2017

Dave - Monday, June 5, 2017
Clara - Saturday, June 3, 2017

<expt>

It should be possible to use <batch> and pass the information through to every script:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/batchparameters.htm

If you want to go the "all IATs in a single file" route, see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/multiplescripts.htm
You would have to set up an <expt> element for each possible IAT-order.

Thank you!! 
By Clara - 6/12/2017

Hey Dave, 

could I also, instead of using a batch file or the include element, write literally everything of the 5 IATs in just one file and set up different <expt> element in that one file for each possible IAT-order?

Best, 
Clara
By Dave - 6/13/2017

Clara - Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Hey Dave, 

could I also, instead of using a batch file or the include element, write literally everything of the 5 IATs in just one file and set up different <expt> element in that one file for each possible IAT-order?

Best, 
Clara

> could I also, instead of using a batch file or the include element, write literally everything of the 5 IATs in just one file and set up different <expt> element in
> that one file for each possible IAT-order?

Yes, you can absolutely do that. But note that this is basically the same as using <include>. All <include> does is effectively paste the contents of an external script file into the "main" file.

By Clara - 6/13/2017

Dave - Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Clara - Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Hey Dave, 

Best, 
Clara

> could I also, instead of using a batch file or the include element, write literally everything of the 5 IATs in just one file and set up different <expt> element in
> that one file for each possible IAT-order?

Yes, you can absolutely do that. But note that this is basically the same as using <include>. All <include> does is effectively paste the contents of an external script file into the "main" file.

Thank you very much :) 
By Clara - 6/27/2017

Hey Dave, as you may remember I paired pictures with values in my inquisit file. I did this in the inquisit 5.0 version and now I wanted to test the script in our laboratory which has only Inquisit 4.0 and this error message occurred. As you can see the brackets are not actually missing but I do not know how to resolve the problem. 
Maybe you can help me again, I would really appreciate that! 

Thanks 
Clara 
By Dave - 6/28/2017

Clara - Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Hey Dave, as you may remember I paired pictures with values in my inquisit file. I did this in the inquisit 5.0 version and now I wanted to test the script in our laboratory which has only Inquisit 4.0 and this error message occurred. As you can see the brackets are not actually missing but I do not know how to resolve the problem. 

Thanks 
Clara 

It needs to read

<list targetdlist_Cel>
/ items = (-0.65, -0.36, -0.16, 0.0, 0.16, 0.36, 0.65)
/ selectionmode = picture.targetdpicture_Cel.nextvalue
</list>

There is no /select attribute for <list>s in Inquisit 4.

I'd also recommend you use the version you're going to use to collect data (here: Inquisit 4) to program your scripts in the future. If you rely on syntax features that were only introduced in Inquisit 5, your script will not work under Inquisit 4.
By Clara - 6/28/2017

Dave - Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Clara - Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Thanks 
Clara 

It needs to read

<list targetdlist_Cel>
/ items = (-0.65, -0.36, -0.16, 0.0, 0.16, 0.36, 0.65)
</list>

There is no /select attribute for <list>s in Inquisit 4.

I'd also recommend you use the version you're going to use to collect data (here: Inquisit 4) to program your scripts in the future. If you rely on syntax features that were only introduced in Inquisit 5, your script will not work under Inquisit 4.

Thank you very much!
By Clara - 6/30/2017

Hey Dave, 

are there any differences in the following commands for MAC and Windows Versions?
The script is running fine in Inquisit 4 and 5 on my mac. But today I tried it with a windows PC in the Inquisit 4 Version and the "targetreminder" (showing the picture again, which was randomly chosen at the beginning in front of every respective IAT. They get 5 pictures at the beginning and then each picture will be shown again once during the experiment) did not work. It did not show the pictures which were randomly chosen at the beginning. Instead it showed any pictures from the collection.

Do you have any idea what I need to change that it will do the same in the inquisit 4 windows version? 
(I already changed the "select" from inquisit 5 to "selectionmode" in inquisit 4)

Thank you!

****************Asia IAT****************

<picture targetdpicture_As>
/ items = ("As-2.bmp", "As-1.bmp", "As0.bmp", "As+1.bmp", "As+2.bmp")
/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_As>
/ items = (-0.36, -0.16, 0.0, 0.16, 0.36)
/ selectionmode = picture.targetdpicture_As.nextvalue
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_As = 0
/ targetdmagnitude_As = ""
/ targetdpreferred_As = ""
/ targetdnotpreferred_As = ""
/ goalachieved_As = false
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetd_As = list.targetdlist_As.nextvalue;]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetdmagnitude_As = "geringe bis gar keine";
if( abs(values.targetd_As) > 0.15 ) values.targetdmagnitude_As = "leichte";
if( abs(values.targetd_As) > 0.35 ) values.targetdmagnitude_As = "moderate";
if( abs(values.targetd_As) >= 0.65 ) values.targetdmagnitude_As = "starke";
if (values.targetd_As >= 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_As = item.ingroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As < 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_As = item.outgroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As < 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_As = item.ingroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As >= 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_As = item.outgroupLabel_As.1;]
/ stimulustimes = [1=targetdpicture_As]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_As>
/ trials = [1=targetdtrial_As]
</block>

<trial targetdreminder_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block targetdreminder_As>
/ trials = [1=targetdreminder_As]
</block>

****************Black IAT****************
<picture targetdpicture_Bl>
/ items = ("Bl-2.bmp", "Bl-1.bmp", "Bl0.bmp", "Bl+1.bmp", "Bl+2.bmp")
/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Bl>
/ selectionmode = picture.targetdpicture_Bl.nextvalue
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Bl = 0
/ targetdmagnitude_Bl = ""
/ targetdpreferred_Bl = ""
/ targetdnotpreferred_Bl = ""
/ goalachieved_Bl = false
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetd_Bl = list.targetdlist_Bl.nextvalue;]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetdmagnitude_Bl = "geringe bis gar keine";
if( abs(values.targetd_Bl) > 0.15 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Bl = "leichte";
if( abs(values.targetd_Bl) > 0.35 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Bl = "moderate";
if( abs(values.targetd_Bl) >= 0.65 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Bl = "starke";
if (values.targetd_Bl >= 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Bl = item.ingroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl < 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Bl = item.outgroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl < 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Bl = item.ingroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl >= 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Bl = item.outgroupLabel_Bl.1;]
/ stimulustimes = [1=targetdpicture_Bl]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Bl>
/ trials = [1=targetdtrial_Bl]
</block>

<trial targetdreminder_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block targetdreminder_Bl>
/ trials = [1=targetdreminder_Bl]
</block>

*****not the whole experiment******

<expt>
/blocks = [1=givetargetd_As; 2=givetargetd_Bl; 3=targetdreminder_As; 4=targetdreminder_Bl]
</expt>

By Dave - 6/30/2017

Clara - Friday, June 30, 2017

Hey Dave, 

are there any differences in the following commands for MAC and Windows Versions?
The script is running fine in Inquisit 4 and 5 on my mac. But today I tried it with a windows PC in the Inquisit 4 Version and the "targetreminder" (showing the picture again, which was randomly chosen at the beginning in front of every respective IAT. They get 5 pictures at the beginning and then each picture will be shown again once during the experiment) did not work. It did not show the pictures which were randomly chosen at the beginning. Instead it showed any pictures from the collection.

Do you have any idea what I need to change that it will do the same in the inquisit 4 windows version? 
(I already changed the "select" from inquisit 5 to "selectionmode" in inquisit 4)

Thank you!

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_As>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_As = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
if (values.targetd_As >= 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_As = item.ingroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As < 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_As = item.outgroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As < 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_As = item.ingroupLabel_As.1;
if (values.targetd_As >= 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_As = item.outgroupLabel_As.1;]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_As>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Bl>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Bl = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
if (values.targetd_Bl >= 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Bl = item.ingroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl < 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Bl = item.outgroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl < 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Bl = item.ingroupLabel_Bl.1;
if (values.targetd_Bl >= 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Bl = item.outgroupLabel_Bl.1;]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Bl>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

<expt>
/blocks = [1=givetargetd_As; 2=givetargetd_Bl; 3=targetdreminder_As; 4=targetdreminder_Bl]
</expt>

There are no syntax differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Inquisit 4. I'd suspect that the Windows PC you used has a different (outdated) Inquisit 4 version installed than you used on your Mac. Please make sure you use the same, latest Inquisit 4 release on both.
By Clara - 7/1/2017

Dave - Friday, June 30, 2017

Hey Dave, 

Thank you!

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_As>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_As = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_As>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Bl>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Bl = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Bl>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

<expt>
</expt>

There are no syntax differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Inquisit 4. I'd suspect that the Windows PC you used has a different (outdated) Inquisit 4 version installed than you used on your Mac. Please make sure you use the same, latest Inquisit 4 release on both.

That could be the case actually! However, we do only have the license for this supposed outdated Inquisit 4 version. How can I find out which commands it need to run like I programmed it on the other versions (test versions) ... it's actually all about logistic difficulties, that I use different versions, but I'm afraid that the chair I'm working for won't update their inquest license... 
By Dave - 7/3/2017

Clara - Sunday, July 2, 2017

Hey Dave, 

Thank you!

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_As>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_As = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_As>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Bl>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Bl = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Bl>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

<expt>
</expt>

That could be the case actually! However, we do only have the license for this supposed outdated Inquisit 4 version. How can I find out which commands it need to run like I programmed it on the other versions (test versions) ... it's actually all about logistic difficulties, that I use different versions, but I'm afraid that the chair I'm working for won't update their inquest license... 

You don't need a new license or a license upgrade. Updates within a major version (e.g. Inquisit 4.0.3.0 to Inquisit 4.0.10.0) do not cost anything. Simply download the latest Inquisit 4 release from the download page https://www.millisecond.com/download/ and install it.
By Clara - 7/3/2017

Dave - Monday, July 3, 2017
Clara - Sunday, July 2, 2017

Hey Dave, 

Thank you!

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_As>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_As = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_As>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_As>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

/ select = noreplace
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Bl>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Bl = 0
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Bl>
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Bl>
</block>

/ ontrialbegin = [
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

</block>

<expt>
</expt>

You don't need a new license or a license upgrade. Updates within a major version (e.g. Inquisit 4.0.3.0 to Inquisit 4.0.10.0) do not cost anything. Simply download the latest Inquisit 4 release from the download page https://www.millisecond.com/download/ and install it.

Thank you, I found a way to solve it :) .... 

<picture targetdpicture_Cel>
/ items = ("Cel-2.bmp", "Cel-1.bmp", "Cel0.bmp", "Cel+1.bmp", "Cel+2.bmp")
/position = (50, 50)
/ select = noreplace
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<list targetdlist_Cel>
</list>

<values>
/ targetd_Cel = 0
/ targetdmagnitude_Cel = ""
/ targetdpreferred_Cel = ""
/ targetdnotpreferred_Cel = ""
/ goalachieved_Cel = false
</values>

<trial targetdtrial_Cel>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetd_Cel = list.targetdlist_Cel.nextvalue;]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.targetdmagnitude_Cel = "geringe bis gar keine";
if( abs(values.targetd_Cel) > 0.15 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Cel = "leichte";
if( abs(values.targetd_Cel) > 0.35 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Cel = "moderate";
if( abs(values.targetd_Cel) >= 0.65 ) values.targetdmagnitude_Cel = "starke";
if (values.targetd_Cel >= 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Cel = item.ingroupLabel_Cel.1;
if (values.targetd_Cel < 0.0) values.targetdpreferred_Cel = item.outgroupLabel_Cel.1;
if (values.targetd_Cel < 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Cel = item.ingroupLabel_Cel.1;
if (values.targetd_Cel >= 0.0) values.targetdnotpreferred_Cel = item.outgroupLabel_Cel.1;]
/ stimulustimes = [1=targetdpicture_Cel]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block givetargetd_Cel>
/ trials = [1=targetdtrial_Cel]
</block>

<picture targetdpictureShow_Cel>
/ items = ("Cel-2.bmp", "Cel-1.bmp", "Cel0.bmp", "Cel+1.bmp", "Cel+2.bmp")
/select = picture.targetdpicture_Cel.currentindex
/position = (50, 50)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
</picture>

<trial targetdreminder_Cel>
/ stimulustimes = [1=targetdpictureShow_Cel]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<block targetdreminder_Cel>
/ trials = [1=targetdreminder_Cel]