Millisecond Forums

How to use the SPSS syntax template?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic22043.aspx

By AndresCorredor - 7/6/2017

Hello,

Im working with a small dataset of 40 participants (Collected the data using inquisit 5, with a picture IAT template). The data for the 40 participants is merged in one single file that I already imported into SPSS using the steps outlined in this link (which is also listed in another thread in the forum):
http://www.rondotsch.nl/importing-inquisit-data-files-into-spss-pasw/

I am trying to use the "IAT SPSS Script" (which I downloaded from http://www.millisecond.com/download/library/IAT/default.aspx) but I really do not understand how it works. When ever I try to run the syntax, i get errors like this:

GET TRANSLATE FILE = 'Data_Analisys.dat'
/TYPE=TAB /MAP /FIELDNAMES .

>Error # 6406. Text: Q:\U65S4C3Q.UIQ\VFS\SFT_PR~2\IBM\SPSS\STATIS~1\21\Data_Analisys.
>SPSS Statistics couldn't open the specified file.
>Execution of this command stops.

I am really lost when it comes to how to use the SPSS Script template. If someone have any tutorial or anything that explain how to use it i will be forever grateful.

I am attaching both my data set and the script template in case you need to check the data.

Kindest regards,
Andres
By Dave - 7/6/2017

AndresCorredor - Thursday, July 6, 2017
Hello,

Im working with a small dataset of 40 participants (Collected the data using inquisit 5, with a picture IAT template). The data for the 40 participants is merged in one single file that I already imported into SPSS using the steps outlined in this link (which is also listed in another thread in the forum):

I am trying to use the "IAT SPSS Script" (which I downloaded from http://www.millisecond.com/download/library/IAT/default.aspx) but I really do not understand how it works. When ever I try to run the syntax, i get errors like this:

>Error # 6406. Text: Q:\U65S4C3Q.UIQ\VFS\SFT_PR~2\IBM\SPSS\STATIS~1\21\Data_Analisys.

I am really lost when it comes to how to use the SPSS Script template. If someone have any tutorial or anything that explain how to use it i will be forever grateful.

I am attaching both my data set and the script template in case you need to check the data.

Kindest regards,
Andres

You will have to specify the FULL PATH in any commands in the syntax that read or write files. I.e. if your data file is stored on your Desktop, for example,

ought to read

GET TRANSLATE FILE = 'C:\Users\YourUserName\MergedData.dat'

You need to do the same for any commands that _write_
SPSS output/data files throughout the syntax. Also, you must store files in places where Windows actually allows SPSS to read and write files -- which is usually not the case for the SPSS installation directory. Use a suitable location like your Desktop or "My Files" directory instead.
By AndresCorredor - 7/6/2017

Dave - Thursday, July 6, 2017
Hello,

Kindest regards,
Andres

You will have to specify the FULL PATH in any commands in the syntax that read or write files. I.e. if your data file is stored on your Desktop, for example,

ought to read

SPSS output/data files throughout the syntax. Also, you must store files in places where Windows actually allows SPSS to read and write files -- which is usually not the case for the SPSS installation directory. Use a suitable location like your Desktop or "My Files" directory instead.

THANK YOU!
Will try this and get back to you if I have any question :)
By AndresCorredor - 7/12/2017

Hello,

Kindest regards,
Andres

ought to read

Hello,

I have been trying to use the script, and I have been able to get to some point. 
Nevertheless, after the following command in line 113, I think somehting is not working (I must have done something wrong, hence, the info I get is not usefull):

IF (PAIRING = 1) N1 = NTRIALS .
IF (PAIRING = 2) N2 = NTRIALS .
IF (PAIRING = 1) M1 = MEAN_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 2) M2 = MEAN_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 1) ERR1 = MEAN_ERR .
IF (PAIRING = 2) ERR2 = MEAN_ERR .
IF (PAIRING = 1) SD1 = SD_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 2) SD2 = SD_LAT .

After runing these comands I get the following error summary:

SAVE OUTFILE = 'H:\#Classes\PS497 Dissertation\Data Analysis\IAT\BIEP.ALL_MEANS&SDs.SAV' .

>Error # 4285 in column 23. Text: NTRIALS
>Incorrect variable name: either the name is more than 64 characters, or it is
>not defined by a previous command.

I dont really know where to go from here. I really appreciate your help!

Best,
Andres
By Dave - 7/12/2017

AndresCorredor - Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Hello,

Kindest regards,
Andres

ought to read

Hello,

I have been trying to use the script, and I have been able to get to some point. 
Nevertheless, after the following command in line 113, I think somehting is not working (I must have done something wrong, hence, the info I get is not usefull):

IF (PAIRING = 2) N2 = NTRIALS .
IF (PAIRING = 1) M1 = MEAN_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 2) M2 = MEAN_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 1) ERR1 = MEAN_ERR .
IF (PAIRING = 2) ERR2 = MEAN_ERR .
IF (PAIRING = 1) SD1 = SD_LAT .
IF (PAIRING = 2) SD2 = SD_LAT .

After runing these comands I get the following error summary:

SAVE OUTFILE = 'H:\#Classes\PS497 Dissertation\Data Analysis\IAT\BIEP.ALL_MEANS&SDs.SAV' .

>Error # 4285 in column 23. Text: NTRIALS
>Incorrect variable name: either the name is more than 64 characters, or it is
>not defined by a previous command.

I dont really know where to go from here. I really appreciate your help!

Best,
Andres

Double-check any and all changes you made to the syntax, make sure the variables are defined properly / exist and are named correctly (here: NTRIALS),  and make sure the correct data set is open / active in SPSS before executing the commands.