Millisecond Forums

Inquisit 3 does not read data file (using SPSS syntax)

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic22275.aspx

By jweyant - 8/14/2017

I am at a loss and I am hoping someone can help me.  Back in 2003 I wrote a version of the implicit association test and I was successful analyzing  d scores with the SPSS syntax file I downloaded for the University of Washington.  Since then , our Inqusit program has since been upgraded to version 3 (I do understand that the current version is 5  but the IAT still works) .  The problem is using the D_biep syntax (upgraded on the University of waking on site, I believe in 2007) I cannot get the SPSS syntax to read the data.  Right after the syntax command  GET TRANSLATE FILE = 'HispIAT.dat /TYPE=TAB /MAP / FIELDNAMES .  , I get the error message "SPSS Statistics couldn't open the specified file".  I have tried a number of things, such as running the original syntax file, but to no avail. Can anyone help?  I just need the D_biep scores. 

Thanks
By Dave - 8/15/2017

jweyant - Tuesday, August 15, 2017
I am at a loss and I am hoping someone can help me.  Back in 2003 I wrote a version of the implicit association test and I was successful analyzing  d scores with the SPSS syntax file I downloaded for the University of Washington.  Since then , our Inqusit program has since been upgraded to version 3 (I do understand that the current version is 5  but the IAT still works) .  The problem is using the D_biep syntax (upgraded on the University of waking on site, I believe in 2007) I cannot get the SPSS syntax to read the data.  Right after the syntax command  GET TRANSLATE FILE = 'HispIAT.dat /TYPE=TAB /MAP / FIELDNAMES .  , I get the error message "SPSS Statistics couldn't open the specified file".  I have tried a number of things, such as running the original syntax file, but to no avail. Can anyone help?  I just need the D_biep scores. 

Thanks

Current versions of SPSS will require you to provide the _full path_ to any data files you wish to read and write:
https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost22045.aspx
Note that this is due to changes in how SPSS works, not due to changes in Inquisit.

Hope this helps!
By jweyant - 8/15/2017

Dave - Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Thanks

Current versions of SPSS will require you to provide the _full path_ to any data files you wish to read and write:
Note that this is due to changes in how SPSS works, not due to changes in Inquisit.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I will try the complete paths.  However, I have one question first.  When I clicked on the link explaining about full paths it seems that not only is the suggestion to use the full path but also the name of the data file changed from "Data_Analysis.dat"  to "MergedData.dat"  I am confused by this.  Is this necessary or a typo?  
By Dave - 8/15/2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I will try the complete paths.  However, I have one question first.  When I clicked on the link explaining about full paths it seems that not only is the suggestion to use the full path but also the name of the data file changed from "Data_Analysis.dat"  to "MergedData.dat"  I am confused by this.  Is this necessary or a typo?  

It's not a typo, because that is the name of the file at issue in the linked thread. You need to enter the name of _your_ data file.
By jweyant - 8/16/2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

It's not a typo, because that is the name of the file at issue in the linked thread. You need to enter the name of _your_ data file.

I tried using full paths and I still get an error message that SPSS cannot read the data.  I have attached my SPSS syntax file and the SPSS output and I am hoping you can tell me where I have gone wrong.  I am at a loss.
By Dave - 8/16/2017

jweyant - Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

I tried using full paths and I still get an error message that SPSS cannot read the data.  I have attached my SPSS syntax file and the SPSS output and I am hoping you can tell me where I have gone wrong.  I am at a loss.

You seem to have extraneous whitespace in various of your commands.

GET TRANSLATE FILE = 'C: \Users\Social Lab\Desktop\Weyant 2017\HispIAT.dat'

There should be no space after 'C:', i.e. it ought to be 'C:\Users\...', not 'C: \Users\...'
By jweyant - 8/16/2017

Dave - Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

There should be no space after 'C:', i.e. it ought to be 'C:\Users\...', not 'C: \Users\...'

Thank you.  I will take the spaces out and give it a whirl.
By jweyant - 8/17/2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Following your suggestion, I took out spaces in the syntax file where it seemed to make sense to do so (copy attached) and got fewer errors in the SPSS output than before I (see attached SPSS output file), still I have not gotten usable output.  It seems the problem is with the DESCRIPTIVES ALL command, but I do not know which one because that command is in multiple lines of the SPSS syntax file (lines 45, 135, and 149). Can (will) you help me get workable output.  I just need a D_biep score for each subject.  
Thank you, 
Jim
By Dave - 8/17/2017

jweyant - Thursday, August 17, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Following your suggestion, I took out spaces in the syntax file where it seemed to make sense to do so (copy attached) and got fewer errors in the SPSS output than before I (see attached SPSS output file), still I have not gotten usable output.  It seems the problem is with the DESCRIPTIVES ALL command, but I do not know which one because that command is in multiple lines of the SPSS syntax file (lines 45, 135, and 149). Can (will) you help me get workable output.  I just need a D_biep score for each subject.  
Thank you, 
Jim

> [I] got fewer errors in the SPSS output than before I (see attached SPSS output file)

What you attached is not an SPSS output file. It's the syntax file. It does not contain any error messages.

> It seems the problem is with the DESCRIPTIVES ALL command, but I do not know which one
> because that command is in multiple lines of the SPSS syntax file (lines 45, 135, and 149).

The SPSS output (which you did not attach) will _tell_ you which line(s) a given error pertains to. Study where the error(s) occur(s) and go from there.
By jweyant - 8/17/2017

Dave - Thursday, August 17, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

> [I] got fewer errors in the SPSS output than before I (see attached SPSS output file)

What you attached is not an SPSS output file. It's the syntax file. It does not contain any error messages.

> It seems the problem is with the DESCRIPTIVES ALL command, but I do not know which one
> because that command is in multiple lines of the SPSS syntax file (lines 45, 135, and 149).

The SPSS output (which you did not attach) will _tell_ you which line(s) a given error pertains to. Study where the error(s) occur(s) and go from there.

Dave,
Ooops my bad.  I meant to attach the SPSS output file with the error messages (I am trying to attach it now -- perhaps it is in the wrong format to attach).  I have been working with SPSS since the 1970s .  Indeed I teach, and have taught for years, a college class in advanced statistics using SPSS.  I cannot figure out what the error message means. That is why I am asking for your help. I copied and pasted the entire content of the SPSS output file below.  Can (will) you help me out?

Jim

DESCRIPTIVES ALL.

>Error # 105. Command name: DESCRIPTIVES
>This command is not valid before a working file has been defined.
>Execution of this command stops.

By Dave - 8/17/2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

Dave,
Ooops my bad.  I meant to attach the SPSS output file with the error messages (I am trying to attach it now -- perhaps it is in the wrong format to attach).  I have been working with SPSS since the 1970s .  Indeed I teach, and have taught for years, a college class in advanced statistics using SPSS.  I cannot figure out what the error message means. That is why I am asking for your help. I copied and pasted the entire content of the SPSS output file below.  Can (will) you help me out?

Jim

DESCRIPTIVES ALL.

>Error # 105. Command name: DESCRIPTIVES
>Execution of this command stops.

is the clue. See e.g. last reply in http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Running-Syntax-td1086202.html . You need to make sure you have the correct data set open _and_ active. You can name and activate data sets using the DATASET NAME and DATASET ACTIVATE commands, cf. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLVMB_21.0.0/com.ibm.spss.statistics.help/syn_dataset_activate.htm
By jweyant - 8/28/2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

Dave,
I have not been able to get SPSS to read my data file from my IAT.  I am not sure but I think the problem may be using an old IAT and newer SPSS syntax.  I am guessing there is a mismatch of some kind.  However, since I have not run my experiment (I have been testing the SPSS syntax with a test data set),  I have decided to use the BriefIAT downloaded from the Millisecond website ( of course modifying for my attributes and targets).  That way I intend to analyze the data  with the SPSS syntax for the BriefIAT which  I also downloaded from Millisecond. I have been able to modify the IAT for my test by editing the download and substituting my attributes and targets.  Since I have six,instead of four, attributes  A and B and six Targets A and B I simply added attributes and targets in the  BriefIAT, as numbers 5 and 6.  This seems to work.  I have just one minor question.  Even with the additional attributes and targets nn the instructions for each set of trials the IAT lists four instead of 6 attributes/targets.  So the question is can I , if if so how do I, get it to list all 6?
Best,
jweyant

By Dave - 8/28/2017

jweyant - Monday, August 28, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

Dave,
I have not been able to get SPSS to read my data file from my IAT.  I am not sure but I think the problem may be using an old IAT and newer SPSS syntax.  I am guessing there is a mismatch of some kind.  However, since I have not run my experiment (I have been testing the SPSS syntax with a test data set),  I have decided to use the BriefIAT downloaded from the Millisecond website ( of course modifying for my attributes and targets).  That way I intend to analyze the data  with the SPSS syntax for the BriefIAT which  I also downloaded from Millisecond. I have been able to modify the IAT for my test by editing the download and substituting my attributes and targets.  Since I have six,instead of four, attributes  A and B and six Targets A and B I simply added attributes and targets in the  BriefIAT, as numbers 5 and 6.  This seems to work.  I have just one minor question.  Even with the additional attributes and targets nn the instructions for each set of trials the IAT lists four instead of 6 attributes/targets.  So the question is can I , if if so how do I, get it to list all 6?
Best,
jweyant

> Even with the additional attributes and targets nn the instructions for each set of trials the IAT lists four instead of 6 attributes/targets.  
> So the question is can I , if if so how do I, get it to list all 6?

You can. You need to modify add items 5 and 6 to the respective <item> elements responsible for the instructions. I:e.

<item attributeAFocusInstruct>
/ 1 = "<%item.attributeALabel.1%>~n<%item.attributeA.1%> <%item.attributeA.2%> <%item.attributeA.3%> <%item.attributeA.4%>"
</item>

<item targetAFocusInstruct>
/ 1 = "<%item.targetALabel.1%>~n<%item.targetA.1%> <%item.targetA.2%> <%item.targetA.3%> <%item.targetA.4%>"
</item>

<item targetBFocusInstruct>
/ 1 = "<%item.targetBLabel.1%>~n<%item.targetB.1%> <%item.targetB.2%> <%item.targetB.3%> <%item.targetB.4%>"
</item>

need to read

/ 1 = "<%item.attributeALabel.1%>~n<%item.attributeA.1%> <%item.attributeA.2%> <%item.attributeA.3%> <%item.attributeA.4%> <%item.attributeA.5%> <%item.attributeA.6%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetALabel.1%>~n<%item.targetA.1%> <%item.targetA.2%> <%item.targetA.3%> <%item.targetA.4%> <%item.targetA.5%> <%item.targetA.6%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetBLabel.1%>~n<%item.targetB.1%> <%item.targetB.2%> <%item.targetB.3%> <%item.targetB.4%> <%item.targetB.5%> <%item.targetB.6%>"
</item>

By jweyant - 8/29/2017

Dave - Monday, August 28, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

Dave,
Best,
jweyant

> Even with the additional attributes and targets nn the instructions for each set of trials the IAT lists four instead of 6 attributes/targets.  

You can. You need to modify add items 5 and 6 to the respective <item> elements responsible for the instructions. I:e.

/ 1 = "<%item.attributeALabel.1%>~n<%item.attributeA.1%> <%item.attributeA.2%> <%item.attributeA.3%> <%item.attributeA.4%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetALabel.1%>~n<%item.targetA.1%> <%item.targetA.2%> <%item.targetA.3%> <%item.targetA.4%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetBLabel.1%>~n<%item.targetB.1%> <%item.targetB.2%> <%item.targetB.3%> <%item.targetB.4%>"
</item>

need to read

/ 1 = "<%item.attributeALabel.1%>~n<%item.attributeA.1%> <%item.attributeA.2%> <%item.attributeA.3%> <%item.attributeA.4%> <%item.attributeA.5%> <%item.attributeA.6%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetALabel.1%>~n<%item.targetA.1%> <%item.targetA.2%> <%item.targetA.3%> <%item.targetA.4%> <%item.targetA.5%> <%item.targetA.6%>"
</item>

/ 1 = "<%item.targetBLabel.1%>~n<%item.targetB.1%> <%item.targetB.2%> <%item.targetB.3%> <%item.targetB.4%> <%item.targetB.5%> <%item.targetB.6%>"
</item>

Hi Dave,

Using the feedback you gave me I was able to create a Brief IAT using the Millisecond download (with modifications to display 6 attributes/targets).  I tested it and the resulting Brief IAT works fine.  However when I use the SPSS syntax (also downloaded from Millisecond and with absolute paths) I get many error messages mostly indicating that I am attempting to use variables that are not defined.  At this point I am at my wits end.  Perhaps I can get our IT people to investigate and tell me what the problem is.  There may be another way I can get the information I need and perhaps you can help in this regard.  Reading other posts and replies under Inquisit 3 of the Millisecond site I saw that the data file created by Inquisit provides a "running D score for each trial" and the advice to get those D scores  by using the last entry of the last variable for each subject.  I have looked at the output file generated by inquisit and I can see those d scores (which may be the same ones I have been trying to get and translate with the SPSS syntax file).  So the questions I have for you are: (a) is it true that the Inquisit output file generated by the BriefIAT provides a running (I assume this means a cumulative or overall) D score for each subject and (b) which D score is it (D as is, Biep, etc.).  If the output provides a cumulative D score for each subject, then I can run my experiment and match up experimental conditions with the data provided.  By the way, I had already tried adding DATASET NAME and DATASET ACTIVATE commands to the SPSS syntax to no avail. Nevertheless,if the output file generated by the Brief IAT does provide overall D scores for each subject, then I do not think my SPSS syntax problem needs to be solved.
Best,
jweyant

By Dave - 8/30/2017

jweyant - Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Dave - Monday, August 28, 2017

Thanks

Hope this helps!

Dave,
Thank you, 
Jim

Dave,
Best,
jweyant

</item>

</item>

</item>

need to read

</item>

</item>

</item>

Hi Dave,

Using the feedback you gave me I was able to create a Brief IAT using the Millisecond download (with modifications to display 6 attributes/targets).  I tested it and the resulting Brief IAT works fine.  However when I use the SPSS syntax (also downloaded from Millisecond and with absolute paths) I get many error messages mostly indicating that I am attempting to use variables that are not defined.  At this point I am at my wits end.  Perhaps I can get our IT people to investigate and tell me what the problem is.  There may be another way I can get the information I need and perhaps you can help in this regard.  Reading other posts and replies under Inquisit 3 of the Millisecond site I saw that the data file created by Inquisit provides a "running D score for each trial" and the advice to get those D scores  by using the last entry of the last variable for each subject.  I have looked at the output file generated by inquisit and I can see those d scores (which may be the same ones I have been trying to get and translate with the SPSS syntax file).  So the questions I have for you are: (a) is it true that the Inquisit output file generated by the BriefIAT provides a running (I assume this means a cumulative or overall) D score for each subject and (b) which D score is it (D as is, Biep, etc.).  If the output provides a cumulative D score for each subject, then I can run my experiment and match up experimental conditions with the data provided.  By the way, I had already tried adding DATASET NAME and DATASET ACTIVATE commands to the SPSS syntax to no avail. Nevertheless,if the output file generated by the Brief IAT does provide overall D scores for each subject, then I do not think my SPSS syntax problem needs to be solved.
Best,
jweyant

Yes, the IAT scripts, including the Brief IAT, all automatically calculate D, and it is D_biep ("D with built-in error penalty"). If you're looking at the raw data file, the final D-score is in the final row for the given subject. If you're looking at the summary data file, it only contains the final D score.