Millisecond Forums

Editing HTM files from Millisecond IAT library

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25549.aspx

By Psych_Josh - 9/17/2018

Dear Inquisit Forum,

I am adapting one of the IAT scripts from the Millisecond library (ageiat.iqx) to my experiment, which involves using different stimuli. I have inputted my own image stimuli as the target stimuli, but I do not wish to have any attribute stimuli/items, only the attribute labels ("I like" and "I don't like"; hence the lack of need for attribute items).

Everything is fine, and I have adapted the script well enough, except that I cannot seem to edit .htm file that serves as an instruction screen and comes with most if not all of the IAT scripts in the library, of which displays the stimuli the participant will see throughout the experiment. I have tried all the suggestions Google seems to have on offer to edit an .htm file in order to simply remove the attribute items from the .htm file, but it seems that every .htm file that comes with the IAT scripts from the Millisecond library is 'locked', and that creating a duplicate or unlocking it in any way turns this (File 1 (commas/spaces show where attribute items were previously, and are no longer present because I removed them from the script)) into this (File 2). The original .htm file looks like this (File 3), and I simply want to remove the

<%item.attributeA.item(1)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(2)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(3)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(4)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(5)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(6)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(7)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(8)%>

and 

<%item.attributeB.item(1)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(2)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(3)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(4)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(5)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(6)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(7)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(8)%>

from the file so that in File 1, the commas are no longer present, and nor do I receive any error messages saying it was unable to locate <%item.attributeA.item(1)%> etc. 

I am admittedly very unknowledgeable about editing .htm code so I apologise in advance if I have overlooked something simple.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if I have not been clear enough.

Josh

By Dave - 9/17/2018

Psych_Josh - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Dear Inquisit Forum,

I am adapting one of the IAT scripts from the Millisecond library (ageiat.iqx) to my experiment, which involves using different stimuli. I have inputted my own image stimuli as the target stimuli, but I do not wish to have any attribute stimuli/items, only the attribute labels ("I like" and "I don't like"; hence the lack of need for attribute items).

Everything is fine, and I have adapted the script well enough, except that I cannot seem to edit .htm file that serves as an instruction screen and comes with most if not all of the IAT scripts in the library, of which displays the stimuli the participant will see throughout the experiment. I have tried all the suggestions Google seems to have on offer to edit an .htm file in order to simply remove the attribute items from the .htm file, but it seems that every .htm file that comes with the IAT scripts from the Millisecond library is 'locked', and that creating a duplicate or unlocking it in any way turns this (File 1 (commas/spaces show where attribute items were previously, and are no longer present because I removed them from the script)) into this (File 2). The original .htm file looks like this (File 3), and I simply want to remove the

<%item.attributeA.item(1)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(2)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(3)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(4)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(5)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(6)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(7)%>, <%item.attributeA.item(8)%>

and 

<%item.attributeB.item(1)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(2)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(3)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(4)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(5)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(6)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(7)%>, <%item.attributeB.item(8)%>

from the file so that in File 1, the commas are no longer present, and nor do I receive any error messages saying it was unable to locate <%item.attributeA.item(1)%> etc. 

I am admittedly very unknowledgeable about editing .htm code so I apologise in advance if I have overlooked something simple.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if I have not been clear enough.

Josh

The files are not "locked" in any way, you can edit them like any other HTML file. Make sure you edit them using a simple text editor like Notepad under Windows or TextEdit under OSX (here make sure you set TextEdit to show the actual HTML source code and not render the HTML; see https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-configure-textedit-for-coding-html--mac-44786 ). Otherwise, if you edit them using Word or some other "Rich Text" editor, that programm will convert the < > characters into HTML encoding (&lt and &gt), and then they will no longer function.
By Psych_Josh - 9/17/2018

Hi Dave,

Thanks - your link was the first to suggest Displaying the files as HTML code instead of formatted text, which has worked.

N.B. Opening the .htm file in TextEdit, which I had done previously, opens the file and displays the filename with ' - locked' afterwards, giving the impression it is locked, which I presume is down to it being displayed in formatted text.

Thanks again,
Josh