Millisecond Forums

Multiple Ports

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic2560.aspx

By Kasia - 3/12/2009

Dear inquisit-experts!

I'm confronted with another problem in inquisit. I have to connect 2 ports: the laptop on which the inquisit file runs, further the inquisit file sends a marker to another computer which elicits shocks in the subjects, and a second marker is sent to a psychophysiological equipment.

My question is: how to combine those two ports. Can it be as simple as this:

<port W>

/ numitems = 1

/ port = com2 (i.e. the shock computer)

/ port = com1 (i.e. the physio computer)

/ subport = data

/ items = ("01000001")

/ select = sequence

</port>

or will this elicit interference?

Hope you can help me on this!

A huge thanx in advance!

Greetz

Kasia

By Dave - 3/12/2009

Hey Kasia,

although I've never had to do anything like that in Inquisit, I've got some thoughts for you that might help.

In general, addressing multiple ports in a single Inquisit script shouldn't be a problem. I don't see why it would be, at least. But in order to do this, my best guess is that you'll have to define seperate <port> elements for each physical port you're trying to address. So, the code snippet you posted should probably be changed to something like:

<port W_COM1>
/ numitems = 1
/ port  = com1 (i.e. the physio computer)
/ subport = data
/ items = ("01000001")
/ select = sequence
</port>

<port W_COM2>

/ numitems = 1

/ port  = com2 (i.e. the shock computer)

/ subport = data

/ items = ("01000001")

/ select = sequence

</port>

And then, of course, you'll have to include both <port> stimuli in your trials. I'd also like to add that I find administering (electrical?) shocks to subjects highly unethical! Unless they deserve it, of course...;-)

Regards,
~Dave

P.S.: And please keep us posted on the outcome of this. The experiences you make in the process of setting this up might help others.
By seandr - 3/12/2009

Dave is correct as usual, and there should be no problem sending signals through different parallel and/or serial ports using a separate <port> element for each one.

Are you really going to shocking participants? Wow, psychological research sure has gotten more fun since I was in graduate school. [:)]

-Sean

By Kasia - 3/12/2009

Thanx for the tips! You rule :-)

and my participants not, so that's why I shock them ;-)

No, no worries about those shocks, the subjects themselves can choose how far they want to go with the intensity of those shocks :-)

I'll let you know if it works!

Regards,

Kasia

ps: Maybe you remember the hungry donkey questions? well: it all worked out well thanks to you guys!