Millisecond Forums

varying text with the use of bold and italic

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic2620.aspx

By elkec - 3/23/2009

hey everybody,

I have text who has different aspects in bold or italic  (see below)

Gelieve eerst onderstaande tekst te lezen alvorens de vragen te beantwoorden. Het is van groot belang voor het verder verloop van het onderzoek dat u deze tekst nauwkeurig en grondig leest. Bedankt!

Begin deze maand verscheen er een artikel in de Journal of Marketing Research dat het gedrag van mensen nagaat tijdens het invullen van een vragenlijst. Dit onderzoek bracht enkele baanbrekende bevindingen aan het licht.

Zo wordt er bijvoorbeeld aangetoond dat respondenten een afkeer hebben van de standaard eenduidige en welomschreven vragen waar slechts één antwoordmogelijkheid een aanvaardbare optie is.

Now, I can't find right now how this can be done in inquisit.

Can somebody help me?

By Dave - 3/24/2009

Hi Elke,

to the best of my knowledge, you can't have different formatting options (i.e. some words in bold, others in italics, etc.) within a single <text> element. BTW, this is a rather general limitation found in basically every experimental package (E-Prime, SuperLab, etc.). With that said, here are a few workaround strategies:

(1) Use multiple <text> elements and align them properly. However, this is a tedious strategy if you're dealing with long segments of text that require a pretty complex layout.

(2) Prepare the text with all the desired formatting in your favorite word processor (OpenOffice Writer, MS Word, AbiWord, etc.). Then make a screenshot / export the text as a picture file and use Inquisit's <picture> element to display it.

(3) If you want to display nicely formatted text on an instruction page, use Inquisit's <htmlpage> element rather than the standard <page> element. Again, prepare your text with a word processor of your choosing and then export it to HTML (all major word processors have built-in support for this).

Hope this helps,
~Dave
By elkec - 3/24/2009

hey dave,

the picture solution worked best!

thanks a lot

kind regards,

elke