Millisecond Forums

How to force a response in likert scale or slider questions

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26781.aspx

By gsu - 4/10/2019

Hello,
Is there a way to ensure that the participant’s response to a slider or a likert scale is within a certain range so that we can be sure that they respond to the question?
Thanks!

By Dave - 4/10/2019

gsu - Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Hello,
Is there a way to ensure that the participant’s response to a slider or a likert scale is within a certain range so that we can be sure that they respond to the question?
Thanks!

You'll have to be more specific than that. What do you mean by "within a certain range" precisely? Since you define the number of points on a slider or likert yourself, it's not obvious what you mean by that.
By gsu - 4/10/2019

Dave - Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Hello,
Thanks!

You'll have to be more specific than that. What do you mean by "within a certain range" precisely? Since you define the number of points on a slider or likert yourself, it's not obvious what you mean by that.

So let's say I have a 7-point likert scale. Can I say that their responses need to be between 1 and 7 so that they can't skip without selecting a response? Or is there another way to warn them if they don't select a response?
By Dave - 4/10/2019

Dave - Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Hello,
Thanks!

So let's say I have a 7-point likert scale. Can I say that their responses need to be between 1 and 7 so that they can't skip without selecting a response? Or is there another way to warn them if they don't select a response?

If you use <likert> trials, there is no way to move on without providing a response. If you are operating in a <survey> / <surveypage> context, you can use <radiobuttons> as a likert-style equivalent and set the question's /required attribute to true to force a response.