Millisecond Forums

survey data file

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic28151.aspx

By ari.anna.89 - 1/23/2020

Hi everyone,
I created a survey in my experiment (some demographic questions before the real experiment begins)
Is there an option to prevent data from being saved in a separate file?
I already created all the output elements I need in the summarydata and I would not run my <surveypage> via a <block> element.

Thanks!
Arianna
By Dave - 1/23/2020

arianna.bagnis - 1/23/2020
Hi everyone,
I created a survey in my experiment (some demographic questions before the real experiment begins)
I already created all the output elements I need in the summarydata and I would not run my <surveypage> via a <block> element.

Thanks!
Arianna

<survey> elements will always produce a separate data file, because the data format is for <survey> elements is different -- one row per participant, all responses are columns, i.e. "wide" format -- from that of regular <block>s / <trial>s -- multiple rows per participant, one row per trials, i.e. "long" format.

If you want data from <surveypage>s captures in the general data file along with the <block>/<trial> data, you indeed need to run your <surveypage> elements via a <block>'s /trials attribute instead of via a <survey>'s /pages. (A <survey> is a special kind of <block>, whereas a <surveypage> is a special kind of <trial>.)
By ari.anna.89 - 1/24/2020

Dave - 1/23/2020
arianna.bagnis - 1/23/2020
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Arianna

<survey> elements will always produce a separate data file, because the data format is for <survey> elements is different -- one row per participant, all responses are columns, i.e. "wide" format -- from that of regular <block>s / <trial>s -- multiple rows per participant, one row per trials, i.e. "long" format.

If you want data from <surveypage>s captures in the general data file along with the <block>/<trial> data, you indeed need to run your <surveypage> elements via a <block>'s /trials attribute instead of via a <survey>'s /pages. (A <survey> is a special kind of <block>, whereas a <surveypage> is a special kind of <trial>.)

Thanks, Dave!
Actually, I could add the data from <surveypage> running its elements via <survey> by put this code:
dropdown.sex.response, textbox.age.response, textbox.nationality.response in <summarydata>.

I wish I hadn't the survey data file because it is redundant and I like having all my data in one single file.
Anyway, it doesn't matter, I can delete it manually.

Thanks for your help.