Millisecond Forums

How to randomly select file for experiment

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic28843.aspx

By thasyaaryanti - 4/23/2020

Hello,

I am trying to run an online experiment involving masked priming lexical decision task that uses a Latin Square design. Currently, I have four different word lists in four different .iqx files (list1.iqx, list2.iqx, list3.iqx, list4.iqx) and would like to assign participants to one of the four word lists randomly.

I am able to include the files to my main experiment script using the <include> function, but I am unsure on what else to code for the experiment to run with only one of the word list randomly when users participate in the experiment. If I am not mistaken the /precondition using script.subjectid uses the subjectid entered in the dialog box before the experiment begins to select the file, which I don't believe is entirely random.

Is there perhaps some other code I need to add to do this? This is my first time using Inquisit, so any help would be appreciated!

Thasya
By Dave - 4/24/2020

thasyaaryanti - 4/24/2020
Hello,

I am trying to run an online experiment involving masked priming lexical decision task that uses a Latin Square design. Currently, I have four different word lists in four different .iqx files (list1.iqx, list2.iqx, list3.iqx, list4.iqx) and would like to assign participants to one of the four word lists randomly.

I am able to include the files to my main experiment script using the <include> function, but I am unsure on what else to code for the experiment to run with only one of the word list randomly when users participate in the experiment. If I am not mistaken the /precondition using script.subjectid uses the subjectid entered in the dialog box before the experiment begins to select the file, which I don't believe is entirely random.

Is there perhaps some other code I need to add to do this? This is my first time using Inquisit, so any help would be appreciated!

Thasya

You say you're planning to run this online. That means you can use either subject ID or group ID in the <include> element's /precondition and simply set your web experiment to generate random subject or group IDs in its settings.
By thasyaaryanti - 4/24/2020

Dave - 4/24/2020
Hello,

Thasya

You say you're planning to run this online. That means you can use either subject ID or group ID in the <include> element's /precondition and simply set your web experiment to generate random subject or group IDs in its settings.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply.

I assume that the script for the subjectID in the <include> element would be something similar to this forum reply ? Also, may I know how does the web experiment generate random subject ID? I have yet to register my script, but does it or is it possible to set a range of values to randomly select from?

Sorry for all the questions.
By Dave - 4/24/2020

Dave - 4/24/2020
Hello,

Thasya

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply.

I assume that the script for the subjectID in the <include> element would be something similar to this forum reply ? Also, may I know how does the web experiment generate random subject ID? I have yet to register my script, but does it or is it possible to set a range of values to randomly select from?

You'll want to do something like this https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost19972.aspx

And in your web experiment's settings, select either sequential or random (without replacement) generation for the group ID, and indicate the number of groups as 4.

By thasyaaryanti - 4/24/2020

Dave - 4/24/2020
Dave - 4/24/2020
Hello,

Thasya

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply.

You'll want to do something like this https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost19972.aspx

Thank you so much!