Millisecond Forums

Inquisit web slow to download the file

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic30537.aspx

By tecnika - 1/18/2021

Hello, when running an online experiment in Inquisit web it takes a long time to download the file (it stay a while in the starting screen when the "Loading files..." writing appears). I am wondering what is the best way to reduce the loading time? The experiment has quite a number of heavy images so it is this a possible cause?

By Dave - 1/18/2021

tecnika - 1/18/2021
Hello, when running an online experiment in Inquisit web it takes a long time to download the file (it stay a while in the starting screen when the "Loading files..." writing appears). I am wondering what is the best way to reduce the loading time? The experiment has quite a number of heavy images so it is this a possible cause?

> The experiment has quite a number of heavy images so it is this a possible cause?

Yes. The only way to speed things up, then, is to reduce the file sizes of the images (lowering resolution, applying some amount of JPG compression) as much as possible.
By a.wertgen - 1/20/2021

I have a smiliar issue. I have a web experiment (programmed in Inquisit 5; https://mili2nd.eu/amxb) with a lot of images (130 to be precise). In sum these images are not that big (~ 14MB). I just tried to run it to see if everything works as planned but the experiment doesnt seem to start (Inquisit Player doesnt open the file). Might that have to do with the number of images or is the problem somewhere else? My browser (firefox) as well as IQ Player are up to date (6.3.4) and I can run the experiment on my computer just fine.

Thanks in advance!
By Dave - 1/20/2021

a.wertgen - 1/20/2021
I have a smiliar issue. I have a web experiment (programmed in Inquisit 5; https://mili2nd.eu/amxb) with a lot of images (130 to be precise). In sum these images are not that big (~ 14MB). I just tried to run it to see if everything works as planned but the experiment doesnt seem to start (Inquisit Player doesnt open the file). Might that have to do with the number of images or is the problem somewhere else? My browser (firefox) as well as IQ Player are up to date (6.3.4) and I can run the experiment on my computer just fine.

Thanks in advance!

The script is fine, but there's some weird launch issue with Firefox that I need to get to the bottom of in more detail (it's not specific to your experiment's start page, it appears to affect all). I can launch the script fine in other browsers (e.g. Edge or Chrome). We'll figure out why Firefox balks and get that fixed as quickly as possible.
By Dave - 1/20/2021

Dave - 1/20/2021
a.wertgen - 1/20/2021

Thanks in advance!

The script is fine, but there's some weird launch issue with Firefox that I need to get to the bottom of in more detail (it's not specific to your experiment's start page, it appears to affect all). I can launch the script fine in other browsers (e.g. Edge or Chrome). We'll figure out why Firefox balks and get that fixed as quickly as possible.

The Firefox launch issue should be resolved as of the time of writing.
By a.wertgen - 1/20/2021

Dave - 1/20/2021
Dave - 1/20/2021
a.wertgen - 1/20/2021

Thanks in advance!

The Firefox launch issue should be resolved as of the time of writing.
That was fast, thank you very much!
By rhollett - 1/12/2022

Hi,

I have a very image-heavy experiment with over 1200 files uploaded to my Inquisit web license in total. However, not all the images are used for each administration. I use a selection script and a batch file to allow participants to select their preferred version of the experiment, each of which involve less than 150 jpg images (around 40KB each - or around 6MB). However, the load time is insanely slow, probably because the player is downloading every single file in the web experiment, rather than just the one's needed for the version selected by the participant. I think the image files are already sufficiently compressed but the download time in testing seems ridiculous given my internet speed (literally waiting 10-15minutes in Chrome).

Is there any way I can improve the efficiency of this delivery? Obviously I cannot deploy this experiment the way it is and using multiple web licenses seems inefficient (and expensive) given how many versions there are. 

Thanks in advance.
By Dave - 1/12/2022

rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

I have a very image-heavy experiment with over 1200 files uploaded to my Inquisit web license in total. However, not all the images are used for each administration. I use a selection script and a batch file to allow participants to select their preferred version of the experiment, each of which involve less than 150 jpg images (around 40KB each - or around 6MB). However, the load time is insanely slow, probably because the player is downloading every single file in the web experiment, rather than just the one's needed for the version selected by the participant. I think the image files are already sufficiently compressed but the download time in testing seems ridiculous given my internet speed (literally waiting 10-15minutes in Chrome).

Is there any way I can improve the efficiency of this delivery? Obviously I cannot deploy this experiment the way it is and using multiple web licenses seems inefficient (and expensive) given how many versions there are. 

Thanks in advance.

> However, the load time is insanely slow, probably because the player is downloading every single file in the web experiment, rather than just the one's needed for the version selected by the participant.

The way you've implemented the selection, every file has to be downloaded. If you can move the selection outside Inquisit, you can treat each version as its own condition and run only that condition based on the selection. Then only the files applicable to that version would have to be downloaded. I.e.

<batch cider>
/ subjects = (1 of 9)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ file = "DART_cider.iqx"
</batch>

<batch beer>
/ subjects = (2 of 9)
/ file = "DART_beer.iqx"
</batch>

<batch whiskey>
/ subjects = (9 of 9)
/ file = "DART_premix_whiskey.iqx"
</batch>

with

where

https://mili2nd.co/cj5b?version=1 would launch the cider version.
https://mili2nd.co/cj5b?version=2 would launch the beer version, and so forth.
By seandr - 1/12/2022

I'll add that we did A LOT of download optimization work in Inquisit 6. Download times, especially for large numbers of files, should be a fraction of what they were with Inquisit 5. You might consider upgrading, if that is an option.

-Sean
By Dave - 1/12/2022

seandr - 1/12/2022
I'll add that we did A LOT of download optimization work in Inquisit 6. Download times, especially for large numbers of files, should be a fraction of what they were with Inquisit 5. You might consider upgrading, if that is an option.

-Sean

Adding: If upgrading is an option, using a conditional <include> to administer the different item sets based on a parameter value would be available as an alternative way of setting this up under Inquisit 6. This would leave the selection process within Inquisit (no need for separate conditions) and would only require the download of the files applicable to the selected version. Inquisit 5's conditional <include> capabilities are more limited than Inquisit 6's, so this is not feasible under Inquisit 5.
By rhollett - 1/12/2022

seandr - 1/12/2022

-Sean

Thanks Sean. Good to know.

I'll certainly consider it when some funding comes along.
By rhollett - 1/12/2022

rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dave - 1/12/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

> However, the load time is insanely slow, probably because the player is downloading every single file in the web experiment, rather than just the one's needed for the version selected by the participant.

The way you've implemented the selection, every file has to be downloaded. If you can move the selection outside Inquisit, you can treat each version as its own condition and run only that condition based on the selection. Then only the files applicable to that version would have to be downloaded. I.e.

<batch cider>
/ subjects = (1 of 9)
</batch>

<batch beer>
/ subjects = (2 of 9)
/ file = "DART_beer.iqx"
</batch>

<batch whiskey>
/ subjects = (9 of 9)
</batch>

with

where

Thanks for those suggestions Dave.

Participants will arrive at this experiment from Qualtrics (previously from Sona) and then back to Qualtrics/Sona for auto course credit allocation (passing the ID along the chain). I have found this to work well for other experiments.

I suspect I can handle the selection in Qualtrics using embedded data for the groupnumber and pass that along with their ID number to facilitate this batch option that you suggest?

Cheers,

Ross
By Dave - 1/12/2022

rhollett - 1/13/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dave - 1/12/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

<batch cider>
/ subjects = (1 of 9)
</batch>

<batch beer>
/ subjects = (2 of 9)
/ file = "DART_beer.iqx"
</batch>

<batch whiskey>
/ subjects = (9 of 9)
</batch>

with

where

Participants will arrive at this experiment from Qualtrics (previously from Sona) and then back to Qualtrics/Sona for auto course credit allocation (passing the ID along the chain). I have found this to work well for other experiments.

I suspect I can handle the selection in Qualtrics using embedded data for the groupnumber and pass that along with their ID number to facilitate this batch option that you suggest?

Cheers,

Ross

> I suspect I can handle the selection in Qualtrics using embedded data for the groupnumber and pass that along with their ID number to facilitate this batch option that you suggest?

Yes, absolutely. Since your participants start off in Qualtrics anyway, that is the ideal solution.
By rhollett - 1/12/2022

Dave - 1/13/2022
rhollett - 1/13/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dave - 1/12/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

<batch cider>
/ subjects = (1 of 9)
</batch>

<batch beer>
/ subjects = (2 of 9)
/ file = "DART_beer.iqx"
</batch>

<batch whiskey>
/ subjects = (9 of 9)
</batch>

with

where

Cheers,

Ross

> I suspect I can handle the selection in Qualtrics using embedded data for the groupnumber and pass that along with their ID number to facilitate this batch option that you suggest?

Yes, absolutely. Since your participants start off in Qualtrics anyway, that is the ideal solution.

Excellent. I appreciate the prompt and helpful advice.
By rhollett - 1/13/2022

Dave - 1/13/2022
rhollett - 1/13/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dave - 1/12/2022
rhollett - 1/12/2022
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

<batch cider>
/ subjects = (1 of 9)
</batch>

<batch beer>
/ subjects = (2 of 9)
/ file = "DART_beer.iqx"
</batch>

<batch whiskey>
/ subjects = (9 of 9)
</batch>

with

where

Cheers,

Ross

By rhollett - 1/13/2022

Hi Dave,

OK so I have shifted the selection into qualtrics and this appears to be working fine using the following URL to pass the subjectid and groupnumber (instead of "version") from Qualtrics. Both these data are also correctly recorded in the Inquisit web files afterwards.

mili2nd.co/cj5b?groupnumber=${gr://SC_9M3MPkfzJ5g9f02/Score}&subjectid=${e://Field/subjectid}

However, the Inquisit web player still seems to be downloading excessive files (somewhere around 600, according to the loading window) before starting up.

Each "file" (script/version) only requires about 140 files to run so it is still appears to be downloading a lot of files before starting up.

I am wondering if it is still running through multiple batches before starting up? Perhaps my batch script is not set up correctly?
By Dave - 1/14/2022

rhollett - 1/14/2022
Hi Dave,

OK so I have shifted the selection into qualtrics and this appears to be working fine using the following URL to pass the subjectid and groupnumber (instead of "version") from Qualtrics. Both these data are also correctly recorded in the Inquisit web files afterwards.

mili2nd.co/cj5b?groupnumber=${gr://SC_9M3MPkfzJ5g9f02/Score}&subjectid=${e://Field/subjectid}

However, the Inquisit web player still seems to be downloading excessive files (somewhere around 600, according to the loading window) before starting up.

Each "file" (script/version) only requires about 140 files to run so it is still appears to be downloading a lot of files before starting up.

I am wondering if it is still running through multiple batches before starting up? Perhaps my batch script is not set up correctly?

> However, the Inquisit web player still seems to be downloading excessive files (somewhere around 600, according to the loading window) before starting up.

The number you see in the loading window is not the number of downloaded files. Rather, it's something akin to number of preparatory steps taken, which includes -- among other things -- parsing the elements, downloading the files, processing the files into memory, and so forth. If you set things up as sketched out at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost33664.aspx , then only the files pertaining to the applicable condition are downloaded and processed.
By rhollett - 1/16/2022

Dave - 1/14/2022
rhollett - 1/14/2022
Hi Dave,

> However, the Inquisit web player still seems to be downloading excessive files (somewhere around 600, according to the loading window) before starting up.

The number you see in the loading window is not the number of downloaded files. Rather, it's something akin to number of preparatory steps taken, which includes -- among other things -- parsing the elements, downloading the files, processing the files into memory, and so forth. If you set things up as sketched out at https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost33664.aspx , then only the files pertaining to the applicable condition are downloaded and processed.

OK that makes sense. I ended up compressing the jpgs (and pngs) even further so that entire exp is approx 40% smaller but it made no difference. Load time is still 1.5-2 mins with around 600 steps).

Looks like Inquisit 6 is probably going to be the best option moving forward.

Thanks again for your assistance.

By seandr - 1/17/2022

Interesting, I'd expect at least a modest improvement from reducing file sizes. Inquisit 6 is definitely much faster with experiments involving large numbers of files. If it would help, I can set you up with a trial license for Inquisit Web so you can test it out. Email sales@millisecond.com if you'd like to try that.

-Sean
By rhollett - 1/17/2022

seandr - 1/17/2022
Interesting, I'd expect at least a modest improvement from reducing file sizes. Inquisit 6 is definitely much faster with experiments involving large numbers of files. If it would help, I can set you up with a trial license for Inquisit Web so you can test it out. Email sales@millisecond.com if you'd like to try that.

-Sean

Hi Sean,

Great, thanks for the offer. I would really appreciate the trial to test it out.