Millisecond Forums

block vs experiment

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic31246.aspx

By anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021

Hi,

I am having some trouble with my study. So I have finished programming it and when I run a block individually, the positions of the stimulus are what I intended it to be.
However, when I run the entire study (consisting of 4 blocks), the positions of the stimulus on each trial go very wrong and end up all over the place.
I feel like it may be because of the way I implemented the lists, but I am not sure why that would be affecting the stimulus' position.

Any help would be appreciated! I attached the script for reference.
By Dave - 4/5/2021

anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021
Hi,

I am having some trouble with my study. So I have finished programming it and when I run a block individually, the positions of the stimulus are what I intended it to be.
However, when I run the entire study (consisting of 4 blocks), the positions of the stimulus on each trial go very wrong and end up all over the place.
I feel like it may be because of the way I implemented the lists, but I am not sure why that would be affecting the stimulus' position.

(1) If you need to share a script that requires external files to run, always provide those files along with the script please.
(2) Please take the time to actually explain what you "intended [the positions] to be" and in what way, specifically, "[the positions] on each trial go very wrong." I do not know what this is supposed to actually mean.

Also, your <expt> doesn't actually run any blocks. Why is that?
By anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021

Dave - 4/5/2021
anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021
Hi,

(1) If you need to share a script that requires external files to run, always provide those files along with the script please.
(2) Please take the time to actually explain what you "intended [the positions] to be" and in what way, specifically, "[the positions] on each trial go very wrong." I do not know what this is supposed to actually mean.

My apologies. I have attached a shortened version of the script with the files.

I have arranged each trial to have one stimulus be positioned at 50% of the y axis. When I run the block one at a time, it does this. But when I run the experiment, it does not - there is no one stimulus that stays at 50% of the y axis.
By Dave - 4/5/2021

anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021
Dave - 4/5/2021
anisa_khalfan - 4/5/2021
Hi,

My apologies. I have attached a shortened version of the script with the files.

I have arranged each trial to have one stimulus be positioned at 50% of the y axis. When I run the block one at a time, it does this. But when I run the experiment, it does not - there is no one stimulus that stays at 50% of the y axis.

> I have arranged each trial to have one stimulus be positioned at 50% of the y axis.
> But when I run the experiment, it does not - there is no one stimulus that stays at 50% of the y axis.

If a given stimulus's y position was changed in a previous block, it will not revert back to the center position in the next block by itself. You have to set it back to that position /onblockbegin.