Millisecond Forums

Keyboard input display issue after converting Inquisit Lab->Web

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic32275.aspx

By inquisituser22 - 10/5/2021

Hello,
After pausing data collection with our Inquisit Lab experiment due to the pandemic, we are considering starting again but with Inquisit Web instead. I made the necessary changes to convert from Inquisit 5 to Inquisit 6, but one issue I am noticing (in both 5 and 6) is that where participants are supposed to fill in a missing letter, instead the correct letter is being displayed! Is there a way with Inquisit Web for participants to have all letters of the alphabet available to them, not only the correct response? Screenshot attached, and here is our experiment launch link: 

https://mili2nd.co/2w3b

Thank you for any guidance

inquisituser22 - 10/5/2021
Hello,
After pausing data collection with our Inquisit Lab experiment due to the pandemic, we are considering starting again but with Inquisit Web instead. I made the necessary changes to convert from Inquisit 5 to Inquisit 6, but one issue I am noticing (in both 5 and 6) is that where participants are supposed to fill in a missing letter, instead the correct letter is being displayed! Is there a way with Inquisit Web for participants to have all letters of the alphabet available to them, not only the correct response? Screenshot attached, and here is our experiment launch link: 

sorry attaching the screenshot again
By Dave - 10/5/2021

Hello,

Which response options are available is determined by /validresponse. Defining all letters of the alphabet , i.e. 26 options, will not look well on touch-input devices. You'll be better served by collecting the letter response per an <openended> element instead of a regular <trial>.

Dave - 10/5/2021
Hello,

Which response options are available is determined by /validresponse. Defining all letters of the alphabet , i.e. 26 options, will not look well on touch-input devices. You'll be better served by collecting the letter response per an <openended> element instead of a regular <trial>.

Thank you for the quick reply! For this type of trial I actually have "correctresponse" instead of "validresponse" as shown below. 

<trial practicescenarios2>
/ stimulusframes = [1=practicescenarios2, reminder1]
/ correctresponse = ("i")
/ responsetrial = ("i", compquestionpracticescenarios2)
/ errormessage = true(error, 200)
/ response = correct </trial>

If you would still recommend the <openended> element, would that be something like this:

<openended practicescenarios2>
/ stimulusframes=[1=practicescenarios2, reminder1]
/ correctresponse=("i")
</openended>

Thanks again!
By Dave - 10/5/2021

Dave - 10/5/2021
Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply! For this type of trial I actually have "correctresponse" instead of "validresponse" as shown below. 

If you would still recommend the <openended> element, would that be something like this:

/ correctresponse=("i")
</openended>

Thanks again!

> For this type of trial I actually have "correctresponse" instead of "validresponse" as shown below.

There is no instead. /validresponse defines the available response options. /correctresponse defines which of those are correct. I.e. suppose you wanted to offer all vowels in the alphabet as options, then

/ validresponse = ("a", "e", "i", "o", "u")
/ response = correct
</trial>

> If you would still recommend the <openended> element, would that be something like this:

It would look something like this:

<openended practicescenarios1>
/ stimulusframes = [1=practicescenarios1, reminder1]
/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
/ correctresponse = ("a")
/ responsetrial = ("a", compquestionpracticescenarios1)
/ response = correct
</openended>

You can try that out here, I've modified the practice trials: https://mili2nd.co/n53b

On touch input devices, this will call up the on-screen keyboard:

Dave - 10/5/2021
Dave - 10/5/2021
Hello,

/ correctresponse=("i")
</openended>

Thanks again!

> For this type of trial I actually have "correctresponse" instead of "validresponse" as shown below.

There is no instead. /validresponse defines the available response options. /correctresponse defines which of those are correct. I.e. suppose you wanted to offer all vowels in the alphabet as options, then

/ response = correct
</trial>

> If you would still recommend the <openended> element, would that be something like this:

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
/ response = correct
</openended>

You can try that out here, I've modified the practice trials: https://mili2nd.co/n53b

Thank you so much for this example, very helpful. It looks like you might be on a device with a large screen like an iPad? I'm testing with an iPhone 11 and the response option issue is definitely alleviated, but the only issue now is that it seems cumbersome for participants as it default to opening the keyboard immediately, which takes up half the screen so you can't read the paragraph anymore. Would there be a way for both to remain visible (keyboard and paragraph of text)? Attached screenshot of the same screen you have in your screenshot.

Thanks again
By Dave - 10/5/2021

Dave - 10/5/2021
Dave - 10/5/2021
Hello,

/ correctresponse=("i")
</openended>

Thanks again!

/ response = correct
</trial>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
/ response = correct
</openended>

Thank you so much for this example, very helpful. It looks like you might be on a device with a large screen like an iPad? I'm testing with an iPhone 11 and the response option issue is definitely alleviated, but the only issue now is that it seems cumbersome for participants as it default to opening the keyboard immediately, which takes up half the screen so you can't read the paragraph anymore. Would there be a way for both to remain visible (keyboard and paragraph of text)? Attached screenshot of the same screen you have in your screenshot.

Thanks again

> It looks like you might be on a device with a large screen like an iPad?

The screenshot is from a Samsung phone with less screen estate than most iPhones.

> Would there be a way for both to remain visible (keyboard and paragraph of text)?

Well, you have to design for it, i.e. adjust sizes and positions of the various elements involved as needed.
By Dave - 10/5/2021

Dave - 10/5/2021
Dave - 10/5/2021
Dave - 10/5/2021
Hello,

/ correctresponse=("i")
</openended>

Thanks again!

/ response = correct
</trial>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
/ response = correct
</openended>

Thanks again

> It looks like you might be on a device with a large screen like an iPad?

The screenshot is from a Samsung phone with less screen estate than most iPhones.

> Would there be a way for both to remain visible (keyboard and paragraph of text)?

Well, you have to design for it, i.e. adjust sizes and positions of the various elements involved as needed.

If you want to, you can also delay the time when the on-screen keyboard pops up and the openended starts accepting responses per /beginresponsetime. E.g. if you wanted to give participants 5 seconds to read the paragraph before they can answer, you would do something like

/ beginresponsetime = 5000
/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
/ response = correct
</openended>
By inquisituser22 - 10/14/2021

Thank you very much!
By inquisituser22 - 12/13/2021

inquisituser22 - 10/14/2021
Thank you very much!

Hello,
We have now adjusted sizes and positions on our task so that it is appropriate for Inquisit Web with different devices vs Inquisit Lab with computer only. However, we are receiving feedback from test participants that the keyboard feature for open ended questions is not ideal because they can no longer reference what they read above the keyboard, which reminds them of how to answer.

Instead of shifting the focus of the screen down to the keyboard, is it possible to allow for both the text above with the openended prompt and the keyboard to be displayed simultaneously? Here is our current code. Thank you!

<defaults>
/ fontstyle = ("Hiragino Sans", 8%, false, false, false, false)
/ txcolor = (white)
/ screencolor = black
/ canvassize = (100%, 100%)
</defaults>

**********************************DATA SPECIFICATIONS**************************

<text error> / items = ("X") / color = (255, 0, 0) / numitems = 1 / </text>

<data>
/ columns = (subject date time build blocknum blockcode trialcode trialnum stimulus response latency correct response correct)
</data>

<text reminder1>
/ numitems = 1
/ items = ("Please type the missing letter.")
/ fontstyle = ("Hiragino Sans", 8%, false, true, false, false, 5, 0)
/ size = (95%, 50%)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<text reminder2>
/ numitems = 1
/ items = ("Please answer based on the previous scenario.

Press Y for 'Yes' and N for 'No'.")
/ size = (80%, 12%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<page pretraining1>
PRACTICE SESSION INSTRUCTIONS:
Please try to imagine yourself in the following scenarios.
There will be word fragments to complete;
you will need to type the correct missing letter
to proceed on the keypad which will pop up automatically.
</page>

<page pretraining2>
After reading the scenarios, a question to make sure you understood
the scenario will appear. You won't be able to proceed until responding correctly.
^^
You will need to press Y for 'Yes' and N for 'No'.
</page>

<block practice>
/ preinstructions = (pretraining1, pretraining2)
/ trials = [1-3 = random(practicescenarios1, practicescenarios2, practicescenarios3)]
</block>

PRACTICE SCENARIOS

<text practicescenarios1>
/ items = ("PRACTICE SESSION:
You decide to go to the movies with your friends. You get to the theater and there is a long line. Because of the line, you are l_te.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ fontstyle = ("Hiragino Sans", 8%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ numitems = 1 </text>

<text compquestionpracticescenarios1>
/ items = ("Did you make it to the movie on time?")
/ fontstyle = ("Hiragino Sans", 8%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ beginresponsetime = 7000
/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

<trial compquestionpracticescenarios1>
/ stimulusframes = [1=compquestionpracticescenarios1, reminder2]
/ correctresponse = ("n")
/ validresponse = ("y", "n")

<text practicescenarios2>
You have some free time in your afternoon, so you go grocery shopping. You think you have bought everything you need. When you get home, you realize you forgot the m_lk.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

<text compquestionpracticescenarios2>
/ items = ("Did you forget to buy the milk?")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
/ size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

<trial compquestionpracticescenarios2>
/ stimulusframes = [1=compquestionpracticescenarios2, reminder2]
/ correctresponse = ("y")

<text practicescenarios3>
You spend a long time working on a presentation late one night. As you finish up on the computer, you go to print out your work. You then realize you do not have any more p_per.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

<text compquestionpracticescenarios3>
/ items = ("Did you run out of ink?")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

<openended practicescenarios3>
/ stimulusframes = [1=practicescenarios3, reminder1]
/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ responsetrial = ("a", compquestionpracticescenarios3)
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

<trial compquestionpracticescenarios3>
/ stimulusframes = [1=compquestionpracticescenarios3, reminder2]
By Dave - 12/14/2021

inquisituser22 - 12/14/2021
Thank you very much!

Hello,
We have now adjusted sizes and positions on our task so that it is appropriate for Inquisit Web with different devices vs Inquisit Lab with computer only. However, we are receiving feedback from test participants that the keyboard feature for open ended questions is not ideal because they can no longer reference what they read above the keyboard, which reminds them of how to answer.

Instead of shifting the focus of the screen down to the keyboard, is it possible to allow for both the text above with the openended prompt and the keyboard to be displayed simultaneously? Here is our current code. Thank you!

<defaults>
/ txcolor = (white)
/ screencolor = black
</defaults>

<data>
/ columns = (subject date time build blocknum blockcode trialcode trialnum stimulus response latency correct response correct)
</data>

<text reminder1>
/ numitems = 1
/ size = (95%, 50%)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<text reminder2>
/ numitems = 1

/ size = (80%, 12%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<page pretraining1>
</page>

<page pretraining2>
the scenario will appear. You won't be able to proceed until responding correctly.
^^
</page>

<block practice>
/ trials = [1-3 = random(practicescenarios1, practicescenarios2, practicescenarios3)]
</block>

PRACTICE SCENARIOS

You decide to go to the movies with your friends. You get to the theater and there is a long line. Because of the line, you are l_te.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

You have some free time in your afternoon, so you go grocery shopping. You think you have bought everything you need. When you get home, you realize you forgot the m_lk.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
/ size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

You spend a long time working on a presentation late one night. As you finish up on the computer, you go to print out your work. You then realize you do not have any more p_per.")
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

Well, you have to design for this. That's really all I can say.
By inquisituser22 - 12/14/2021

Dave - 12/14/2021
Thank you very much!

Hello,

<defaults>
/ txcolor = (white)
/ screencolor = black
</defaults>

<data>
</data>

<text reminder1>
/ numitems = 1
/ size = (95%, 50%)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<text reminder2>
/ numitems = 1

/ size = (80%, 12%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<page pretraining1>
</page>

<page pretraining2>
^^
</page>

<block practice>
</block>

PRACTICE SCENARIOS

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
/ size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

Ok thank you, I can't figure out if there might be a way to have the keyboard take less space on the page or not automatically move the entire screen down to view it? thanks agai
By Dave - 12/14/2021

Dave - 12/14/2021
Thank you very much!

Hello,

<defaults>
/ txcolor = (white)
/ screencolor = black
</defaults>

<data>
</data>

<text reminder1>
/ numitems = 1
/ size = (95%, 50%)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<text reminder2>
/ numitems = 1

/ size = (80%, 12%)
/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
</text>

<page pretraining1>
</page>

<page pretraining2>
^^
</page>

<block practice>
</block>

PRACTICE SCENARIOS

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
/ size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ size = (100%, 0%)
/ position = (50%, 0%)
/ hjustify = left
/ numitems = 1 </text>

/ txbgcolor = black
/ txcolor = white
/ hjustify = center
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ numitems=1 </text>

/ mask = alphabetic
/ charlimit = 1
/ response = correct
size = (1%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 95%)
</openended>

Ok thank you, I can't figure out if there might be a way to have the keyboard take less space on the page or not automatically move the entire screen down to view it? thanks agai

> I can't figure out if there might be a way to have the keyboard take less space on the page

No. The on-screen keyboard is an OS (iOS, Android) UI element -- Inquisit does not control how much screen estate it takes up. As I've pointed out to you previously, you can delay the point in time when the on-screen keyboard appears per /beginresponsetime ( https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost32282.aspx ). Other than that, you simply have to design for it, i.e. figure out how much screen estate you have available and adjust any stimuli's sizes and positions accordingly.