Millisecond Forums

Rating images

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic33630.aspx

By shane - 12/27/2021

I have what seems to be an embarrassingly easy task, yet I cannot locate information on how to accomplish it.  I simply need to have participants rate individual faces on a Likert scale 1 to 7.  I've no problem doing that. However, within that tasks, what I cannot figure out how to do is to uncouple the labels from the scale itself.  That is, whenever anything such as position or anchor width are adjusted, the end-point labels and the numbers of the scale itself adjust in tandem. That, in turn, forces me to use an anchor width longer than I'd like in order to accommodate the end-point labels.  if I do not do that, the labels bleed over into the 1 and 7 numbers, rendering them unreadable.  In short, is there a way to decouple anchor labels from the numerical Likert scale values in terms of their locations relative to one another? See my code below. This results in the labels being fine, but the scale stretches the entire width of my 21" screen. I suppose another what to frame this is that the physical distance between each point on the scale seems to large for my preference. Thanks in advance!

<likert Trust>
/ stimulusframes = [1=face]
/ anchors = [1="Very Untrustworthy"; 7="Very Trustworthy"]
/ numpoints = 7
/ position = (50%, 60%)
/ anchorwidth = (11%)
</likert>
By Dave - 12/27/2021

shane - 12/27/2021
I have what seems to be an embarrassingly easy task, yet I cannot locate information on how to accomplish it.  I simply need to have participants rate individual faces on a Likert scale 1 to 7.  I've no problem doing that. However, within that tasks, what I cannot figure out how to do is to uncouple the labels from the scale itself.  That is, whenever anything such as position or anchor width are adjusted, the end-point labels and the numbers of the scale itself adjust in tandem. That, in turn, forces me to use an anchor width longer than I'd like in order to accommodate the end-point labels.  if I do not do that, the labels bleed over into the 1 and 7 numbers, rendering them unreadable.  In short, is there a way to decouple anchor labels from the numerical Likert scale values in terms of their locations relative to one another? See my code below. This results in the labels being fine, but the scale stretches the entire width of my 21" screen. I suppose another what to frame this is that the physical distance between each point on the scale seems to large for my preference. Thanks in advance!

<likert Trust>
/ stimulusframes = [1=face]
/ anchors = [1="Very Untrustworthy"; 7="Very Trustworthy"]
/ numpoints = 7
/ position = (50%, 60%)
/ anchorwidth = (11%)
</likert>

> In short, is there a way to decouple anchor labels from the numerical Likert scale values in terms of their locations relative to one another?

Don't use the <likert>'s /labels attribute then. Instead, create two <text> elements -- one to serve as the right label, the other to serve as the left label -- position them wherever you want them to, and display the two text elements per /stimulusframes.