Millisecond Forums

Movies not playing after upgrade to inquisit 6

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic33857.aspx

By kev_dent - 1/30/2022

I'm having an issue getting movies to play in Inquisit 6.
I have some experiments that use movies that worked in Inquisit 5.
Now in Inquisit 6 the movies just display a black window the same size as the intended movie.
This does not seem to be a codec issue since the movies play in other software on my system.
Can anybody help me to get the movies to play
By kev_dent - 1/31/2022

After converting the movies using 3rd party software to .mpg format, they do play in inquisit 6 but they stutter badly.
The original movies work fine in inquisit 5, is there a way to get the movies to work better in inquisit 6, or should I just downgrade to inquisit 5?
By Dave - 1/31/2022

kev_dent - 1/31/2022
After converting the movies using 3rd party software to .mpg format, they do play in inquisit 6 but they stutter badly.
The original movies work fine in inquisit 5, is there a way to get the movies to work better in inquisit 6, or should I just downgrade to inquisit 5?

> The original movies work fine in inquisit 5, is there a way to get the movies to work better in inquisit 6.

This is most likely a codec issue. How are the original videos (not the MPEG transcodes) encoded to begin with and what operating system are you working under?
By kev_dent - 1/31/2022

Hi the original videos are MPEG-4 movie.
These work ok in inquisit 5 but running exactly the same experiment that works fine in inquisit 5 shows a black screen in inquisit 6.
I'm working on a Mac running Monterrey.
Seems odd that they should be fine in version 5 but not 6?
By Dave - 1/31/2022

kev_dent - 1/31/2022
Hi the original videos are MPEG-4 movie.
These work ok in inquisit 5 but running exactly the same experiment that works fine in inquisit 5 shows a black screen in inquisit 6.
I'm working on a Mac running Monterrey.
Seems odd that they should be fine in version 5 but not 6?

M1 processor or Intel?
By kev_dent - 1/31/2022

Currently working on an M1pro processor.
I have not tested on intel yet.
By Dave - 1/31/2022

We know of a Qt bug that affects video display on M1 processors. There is a tentative fix / workaround in the latest Inquisit 6 release (6.5.2; https://www.millisecond.com/download/ ), so if you haven't tried that yet, please do. It would be good to know whether that resolved the problem on your M1pro.

By kev_dent - 1/31/2022

After upgrading to 6.5.2 the original movies now play.
By Dave - 1/31/2022

kev_dent - 1/31/2022
After upgrading to 6.5.2 the original movies now play.

Thanks for letting us know.