Millisecond Forums

Escape to Quit

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34144.aspx

By sadler@clicktherapeutics.com - 4/4/2022

Hello,

I know about quit commands, but I was wondering if there's a way to turn the escape key into an exit from the program, either using quit commands or script abort functions? From what I can tell, quit commands require a two-key combination, and the script abort would only exit whatever phase of the experiment you're currently on, not the entire program.

Thank you!
By Dave - 4/4/2022

Sam - 4/4/2022
Hello,

I know about quit commands, but I was wondering if there's a way to turn the escape key into an exit from the program, either using quit commands or script abort functions? From what I can tell, quit commands require a two-key combination, and the script abort would only exit whatever phase of the experiment you're currently on, not the entire program.

Thank you!

Using /quitcommand: No. It requires at least a two-key combination.

Using script.abort(), possibly, that would depend on your script and how/where you want to call script.abort().

Regarding " the script abort would only exit whatever phase of the experiment you're currently on", it depends on where you've defined /quitcommand. If you define in it a <batch> script's <defaults>, it should terminate everything.

<defaults>
/ quitcommand = (SHIFT+1) // SHIFT + ESC
</defaults>

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ file = "c.iqx"
</batch>
By sadler@clicktherapeutics.com - 4/4/2022

Thanks for confirming that! I suppose my other idea was to use a key press to "esc" to trigger a script.abort instead of using a quit command. But my experiment uses mouse input, not keyboard, so I don't think I can use a key to trigger a script.abort unless I use a quit command. 

Thank you again for your reply!
By Dave - 4/4/2022

Sam - 4/4/2022

Thanks for confirming that! I suppose my other idea was to use a key press to "esc" to trigger a script.abort instead of using a quit command. But my experiment uses mouse input, not keyboard, so I don't think I can use a key to trigger a script.abort unless I use a quit command. 

Thank you again for your reply!

>[...] my experiment uses mouse input, not keyboard, so I don't think I can use a key to trigger a script.abort

That is correct, the script would not recognize the escape key.