Millisecond Forums

Multiple sessions per subject, three different versions, one link?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34311.aspx

By LNM - 5/11/2022

Hi all,

We will be using Inquisit Web and each subject will do the task three times, with several months in between. Each session has a different script (A, B or C) and we would like to counterbalance the order of the scripts. 
We have to use fixed subject numbers (entered manually). For example:

Subject "2345": session 1 = A, session 2 = B, session 3 = C.
Subject "3451": session 1 = B, session 2 = C, session 3 = A.
Subject "8902": session 1 = C, session 2 = A, session 3 = B.
and so on.

In the manual I read "Inquisit Web tracks the session number for each participant automatically so that the first time a participant runs the experiment, their session number is 1, the second time is 2, etc", does this mean that Inquisit would recognize this fixed subject number after the first session?

And in general: is there a way to create one link that encompasses all of this, without having to enter anything else manually (such as session number, group etc)? I've read similar topics and it seems the only option is to use separate links, but maybe I'm missing something. Any help is much appreciated!
By Dave - 5/11/2022

LNM - 5/11/2022
Hi all,

We will be using Inquisit Web and each subject will do the task three times, with several months in between. Each session has a different script (A, B or C) and we would like to counterbalance the order of the scripts. 

and so on.

In the manual I read "Inquisit Web tracks the session number for each participant automatically so that the first time a participant runs the experiment, their session number is 1, the second time is 2, etc", does this mean that Inquisit would recognize this fixed subject number after the first session?

And in general: is there a way to create one link that encompasses all of this, without having to enter anything else manually (such as session number, group etc)? I've read similar topics and it seems the only option is to use separate links, but maybe I'm missing something. Any help is much appreciated!

> [...] does this mean that Inquisit would recognize this fixed subject number after the first session?

Yes.

> And in general: is there a way to create one link that encompasses all of this, without having to enter anything else manually (such as session number, group etc)? I've read similar topics and it seems the only option is to use separate links, but maybe I'm missing something. Any help is much appreciated!

Counterbalancing the order of scripts is a between-subjects manipulation. With three orders, you'll have to do something like this:

main batch script:
<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
/ file = "order1_batch.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = "order2_batch.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
/ file = "order3_batch.iqx"
</batch>

with the order batch scripts specifying the session-based order, i.e.

order1_batch.iqx
Order 1: A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

order2_batch.iqx
Order 2: B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

order3_batch.iqx
Order 3: C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

The group ID used to select the applicable order you can pass in via URL parameter, i.e. there is no need for participants to enter it, it will simply be part of the link you give out to them.

That is: Give participants who you want to complete order #1 (A->B->C) across their trhee sessions a link of the following form:
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=1
All participants who are supposed to complete order #2 (B->C->A) get
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=2
and all participants who are supposed to complete order #3 would receive
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=3

By LNM - 5/11/2022

Dave - 5/11/2022
LNM - 5/11/2022
Hi all,

and so on.

> [...] does this mean that Inquisit would recognize this fixed subject number after the first session?

Yes.

> And in general: is there a way to create one link that encompasses all of this, without having to enter anything else manually (such as session number, group etc)? I've read similar topics and it seems the only option is to use separate links, but maybe I'm missing something. Any help is much appreciated!

Counterbalancing the order of scripts is a between-subjects manipulation. With three orders, you'll have to do something like this:

main batch script:
<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
/ file = "order1_batch.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = "order2_batch.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
/ file = "order3_batch.iqx"
</batch>

with the order batch scripts specifying the session-based order, i.e.

order1_batch.iqx
Order 1: A -> B -> C
<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

order2_batch.iqx
Order 2: B -> C -> A
<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

order3_batch.iqx
Order 3: C -> A -> B
<batch>
/ file = "c.iqx"
/ sessions = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ sessions = (2 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "b.iqx"
/ sessions = (3 of 3)
</batch>

The group ID used to select the applicable order you can pass in via URL parameter, i.e. there is no need for participants to enter it, it will simply be part of the link you give out to them.

That is: Give participants who you want to complete order #1 (A->B->C) across their trhee sessions a link of the following form:
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=1
All participants who are supposed to complete order #2 (B->C->A) get
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=2
and all participants who are supposed to complete order #3 would receive
mili2nd.co/ab12?groupid=3

That's very helpful, thank you for your quick reply!