Millisecond Forums

show each sentence word by word in rsvp-task

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34731.aspx

By AchimS - 9/16/2022

Hi,

as a beginner with programming experiments I'm stuck at the following problem:
I want to set up an experiment, in which I want to show in total 60 sentences to the test persons, while each sentence should be displayed word-by-word.
I already searched for an answer in this forum and found among other things the task I attached, but the problem ist, that in this script, there is only one list of letters, that is used in each trial, and the amount of letters is always the same (which is important to note, because of /trialduration, which will be not always the same in my experiment).

So can anyone tell me, how to adapt this script to my need, which is concretely:
In each of the 60 trials (1 trial = 1 sentence) I want to display every word for 300ms.

I would be so thankfull, if there is help outside!

Have a nice day!
By Dave - 9/16/2022

AchimS - 9/16/2022
Hi,

as a beginner with programming experiments I'm stuck at the following problem:
I want to set up an experiment, in which I want to show in total 60 sentences to the test persons, while each sentence should be displayed word-by-word.
I already searched for an answer in this forum and found among other things the task I attached, but the problem ist, that in this script, there is only one list of letters, that is used in each trial, and the amount of letters is always the same (which is important to note, because of /trialduration, which will be not always the same in my experiment).

So can anyone tell me, how to adapt this script to my need, which is concretely:
In each of the 60 trials (1 trial = 1 sentence) I want to display every word for 300ms.

I would be so thankfull, if there is help outside!

Have a nice day!

The script you attached is not suitable.
Instead. you'll want to work through either the self-paced reading script available in the library, which can be easily changed to do machine-paced reading (300 ms per word).
https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/selfpacedreading
By AchimS - 9/16/2022

Dave - 9/16/2022

Instead. you'll want to work through either the self-paced reading script available in the library, which can be easily changed to do machine-paced reading (300 ms per word).

Thanks, that might help a lot! Can you tell me, how to display all words at the same position?
By Dave - 9/16/2022

AchimS - 9/16/2022
Dave - 9/16/2022

Thanks, that might help a lot! Can you tell me, how to display all words at the same position?

See attached.
By AchimS - 9/17/2022

Dave - 9/16/2022
AchimS - 9/16/2022
Dave - 9/16/2022

See attached.

This is awesome, thank you!!
By AchimS - 11/18/2022

Hi,

I took the script Dave postet on this thread and worked further on it. Now I am stuck at two main challenges:

1. There are experimental- and filler-items. The exp-items show the whole sentence and then ask, if the last word was oder wasn't blue. If the sentence is a filler-item (in item.stroop all items from /57 to /112), the text stops after the targetword (which is defined for each sentence in item.targetword), then shows the same question as for the exp-items and then should display the rest of the sentence, before moving on to the next item. Showing the rest of the sentence is where I don't know how to code it. Can anyone help me with that?

2. There are control-questions (see "Kontrolle" beginning in line 1443), which are showed after a certain amount of items. I have a problem with coding the correctanswer. It should be true, if the item from item.stroop matches with the issue, the question is about. The first issue (line1490) belongs to the first 4 stroop-items, the second to item 5-8 and so on. Is there also a way to help me?

I would really apprechiate it, if there's a pro out there who wants to help me!
Thanks very much in advance!
By Dave - 11/18/2022

AchimS - 11/18/2022
Hi,

I took the script Dave postet on this thread and worked further on it. Now I am stuck at two main challenges:

1. There are experimental- and filler-items. The exp-items show the whole sentence and then ask, if the last word was oder wasn't blue. If the sentence is a filler-item (in item.stroop all items from /57 to /112), the text stops after the targetword (which is defined for each sentence in item.targetword), then shows the same question as for the exp-items and then should display the rest of the sentence, before moving on to the next item. Showing the rest of the sentence is where I don't know how to code it. Can anyone help me with that?

2. There are control-questions (see "Kontrolle" beginning in line 1443), which are showed after a certain amount of items. I have a problem with coding the correctanswer. It should be true, if the item from item.stroop matches with the issue, the question is about. The first issue (line1490) belongs to the first 4 stroop-items, the second to item 5-8 and so on. Is there also a way to help me?

AchimS - 11/18/2022
Hi,

> 1. There are experimental- and filler-items. The exp-items show the whole sentence and then ask, if the last word was oder wasn't blue. If the sentence is a filler-item (in item.stroop all items from /57 to /112), the text stops after the targetword (which is defined for each sentence in item.targetword), then shows the same question as for the exp-items and then should display the rest of the sentence, before moving on to the next item. Showing the rest of the sentence is where I don't know how to code it. Can anyone help me with that?

In <trial Qtrialstroop>, you need to /branch back to trial.MWtrialstroop if the sentence isn't finished yet.

> 2. There are control-questions (see "Kontrolle" beginning in line 1443), which are showed after a certain amount of items. I have a problem with coding the correctanswer. It should be true, if the item from item.stroop matches with the issue, the question is about. The first issue (line1490) belongs to the first 4 stroop-items, the second to item 5-8 and so on. Is there also a way to help me?

Not sure what you're unclear about here. Be more specific, please.
By Dave - 11/18/2022

Dave - 11/18/2022
AchimS - 11/18/2022
Hi,

AchimS - 11/18/2022
Hi,

> 1. There are experimental- and filler-items. The exp-items show the whole sentence and then ask, if the last word was oder wasn't blue. If the sentence is a filler-item (in item.stroop all items from /57 to /112), the text stops after the targetword (which is defined for each sentence in item.targetword), then shows the same question as for the exp-items and then should display the rest of the sentence, before moving on to the next item. Showing the rest of the sentence is where I don't know how to code it. Can anyone help me with that?

In <trial Qtrialstroop>, you need to /branch back to trial.MWtrialstroop if the sentence isn't finished yet.

> 2. There are control-questions (see "Kontrolle" beginning in line 1443), which are showed after a certain amount of items. I have a problem with coding the correctanswer. It should be true, if the item from item.stroop matches with the issue, the question is about. The first issue (line1490) belongs to the first 4 stroop-items, the second to item 5-8 and so on. Is there also a way to help me?

Not sure what you're unclear about here. Be more specific, please.

I've added some comments to you script (attached below). These point out some flaws and things you need to consider. The code is left as-is, among other things because the script is a bit of a mess (no offense intended), which makes it difficult to guess what certain bits of code you added are intended to do in the first place (in some cases, there's code in places where it does not belong and cannot possibly "do" anything).

One further suggestion: Scale things down while you work out the kinks. There's no reason to deal with dozens or hundreds of items while you still develop the basic trial flow. Surely, a dozen items or so will suffice (a couple experimental, a couple fillers, with and without control questions). Once you have that going, scaling up and adding more items is easy.
By AchimS - 11/21/2022

Dave - 11/18/2022
I've added some comments to you script (attached below). These point out some flaws and things you need to consider. The code is left as-is, among other things because the script is a bit of a mess (no offense intended), which makes it difficult to guess what certain bits of code you added are intended to do in the first place (in some cases, there's code in places where it does not belong and cannot possibly "do" anything).

One further suggestion: Scale things down while you work out the kinks. There's no reason to deal with dozens or hundreds of items while you still develop the basic trial flow. Surely, a dozen items or so will suffice (a couple experimental, a couple fillers, with and without control questions). Once you have that going, scaling up and adding more items is easy.

Thanks very much for the comments. It'll help improving my skills and working effectively on the script.