Millisecond Forums

App not available

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34736.aspx

By empra-uulm - 9/19/2022

Hi,

we have the Inquisit app (5.6.1) installed on 50+ Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 11). Some weeks ago, I was able to update the app to the newest version on one of the tablets.
Now, I cannot find the app in the playstore anymore. Neither to update it on devices where it's already installed, nor to install it on devices where it's not installed yet. Using the apk didn't work either.

As far as I understand it, the tablet meets all requirements (Android > 7.1, ARM, Open GL 3).
Any idea what might be the reason?

Best
Luc

By Dave - 9/19/2022

empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Hi,

we have the Inquisit app (5.6.1) installed on 50+ Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 11). Some weeks ago, I was able to update the app to the newest version on one of the tablets.
Now, I cannot find the app in the playstore anymore. Neither to update it on devices where it's already installed, nor to install it on devices where it's not installed yet. Using the apk didn't work either.

As far as I understand it, the tablet meets all requirements (Android > 7.1, ARM, Open GL 3).

Best
Luc

The app continues to be available in the Google Play store as usual, so I'm not sure what the issue with those tablets may be.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.millisecond.InquisitPlayer

I can locate it just fine on my Samsuing device in the Play Store as well:

You may want to check the parental control settings in the Play Store app (Settings -> Family -> Parental Controls). If you have age restrictions enabled for apps, you might not be able to locate the Inquisit app in the Play Store because it gets filtered out.

Dave - 9/19/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Hi,

Best
Luc

The app continues to be available in the Google Play store as usual, so I'm not sure what the issue with those tablets may be.

You may want to check the parental control settings in the Play Store app (Settings -> Family -> Parental Controls). If you have age restrictions enabled for apps, you might not be able to locate the Inquisit app in the Play Store because it gets filtered out.

This is really weird. The parental control settings are switched off. I can find and install it on my phone (Google Pixel). I'll send an update if I find a solution.

By Dave - 9/19/2022

empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Dave - 9/19/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Hi,

Best
Luc

This is really weird. The parental control settings are switched off. I can find and install it on my phone (Google Pixel). I'll send an update if I find a solution.

Very strange. We'll continue to investigate as well.
By erikb - 9/19/2022

Which country / region Google Play Store are you using?

Also, are these tablets registered/administered under any enterprise Google Play account? I believe the Google Play enterprise accounts that manage devices with an organization may set limitations on what app may be installed, including if apps that require certain permissions.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

Erik - 9/19/2022

Also, are these tablets registered/administered under any enterprise Google Play account? I believe the Google Play enterprise accounts that manage devices with an organization may set limitations on what app may be installed, including if apps that require certain permissions.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

Thanks for looking into it!
We're in Germany/the German Play Store. I made sure that's the case by adding German payment details.
It's a normal Google account as anyone can create.
By empra-uulm - 9/21/2022

empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Erik - 9/19/2022

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

We're in Germany/the German Play Store. I made sure that's the case by adding German payment details.

We're on to something. If we use another account on the same tablet the app is available. Google must have changed something along the way. We'll certainly figure that out. Thanks for your help
By empra-uulm - 9/21/2022

empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Erik - 9/19/2022

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

We're on to something. If we use another account on the same tablet the app is available. Google must have changed something along the way. We'll certainly figure that out. Thanks for your help

We use the same Google account on 50+ tablets. Is there any limit how many times the same Google account can access the app from your side?
By erikb - 9/21/2022

empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Erik - 9/19/2022

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

We use the same Google account on 50+ tablets. Is there any limit how many times the same Google account can access the app from your side?

I've double checked our settings on the play store and we don't impose any limits on the number of times it can be installed. If Google suddenly thinks your account is 'under age' in your region it might prevent you from seeing/installing the app.
Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik
By Dave - 9/21/2022

Erik - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Erik - 9/19/2022

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

I've double checked our settings on the play store and we don't impose any limits on the number of times it can be installed. If Google suddenly thinks your account is 'under age' in your region it might prevent you from seeing/installing the app.
Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

As Eric noted, we don't impose limits, but Google may (without telling you). There's conflicting information online, for example https://support.google.com/work/android/thread/57683723/user-or-device-accounts-for-enrolment?hl=en states a 10-device limit for regular Google accounts as well as managed Google Play user accounts (the underlying technical documentation does not state 10 devices as a hard limit, but rather as a best practice; https://developers.google.com/android/work/play/emm-api/user-accounts ). Other sources suggest that Google imposes variable limits, depending on how it thinks you are using your account (cf. https://phandroid.com/2020/07/06/how-many-android-devices-for-each-google-account/ ). I would try creating another Google account and moving a few of the devices that right now refuse to discover or install the app over to the new account and see if that fixes the problem on those devices.
By empra-uulm - 10/11/2022

Dave - 9/21/2022
Erik - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/21/2022
empra-uulm - 9/19/2022
Erik - 9/19/2022

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

Thanks and Enjoy,
Erik

As Eric noted, we don't impose limits, but Google may (without telling you). There's conflicting information online, for example https://support.google.com/work/android/thread/57683723/user-or-device-accounts-for-enrolment?hl=en states a 10-device limit for regular Google accounts as well as managed Google Play user accounts (the underlying technical documentation does not state 10 devices as a hard limit, but rather as a best practice; https://developers.google.com/android/work/play/emm-api/user-accounts ). Other sources suggest that Google imposes variable limits, depending on how it thinks you are using your account (cf. https://phandroid.com/2020/07/06/how-many-android-devices-for-each-google-account/ ). I would try creating another Google account and moving a few of the devices that right now refuse to discover or install the app over to the new account and see if that fixes the problem on those devices.

Just to end this thread: We created three new google accounts and used them on the tablets where the app wasn't available. This isn't a proper solution but it works.
Interestingly, if both the old and new account are logged in on the same device, the app is available via the new account but not the old one.

Thanks for the help!