Millisecond Forums

Communicate to another program on the same machine

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34887.aspx

By KatrinaMcDonough - 10/25/2022

Hello, 

I would like to send real time information from a task in inquisit to another program (using python) on the same computer. Specifically, I would like to send timing information to a python script outside inquisit that controls a robotic device that we want to interact with the task. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Katrina
By Dave - 10/25/2022

KatrinaMcDonough - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

I would like to send real time information from a task in inquisit to another program (using python) on the same computer. Specifically, I would like to send timing information to a python script outside inquisit that controls a robotic device that we want to interact with the task. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Katrina

You can try something like creating a virtual serial port, having your Inquisit script send TTL signals to that port, having the Python script read from the port and acting on that information.
By Dave - 10/25/2022

Dave - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

Thanks,
Katrina

You can try something like creating a virtual serial port, having your Inquisit script send TTL signals to that port, having the Python script read from the port and acting on that information.

Another potential option: Run a local web server in Python and you should be able to have the Inquisit script send requests to that local web server with <html> elements; your Python script should be able to read in that information and control the robotic device accordingly.
By KatrinaMcDonough - 10/26/2022

Dave - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

Thanks,
Katrina

We created a virtual serial port as suggested and this works great, thanks!