Millisecond Forums

Inquisit SONA data collection question

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic35332.aspx

By sakm - 4/25/2023

I am connecting Inquisit to SONA as described in a previous forum post: https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26185.aspx

From what I understand, the SONA IDs will be recorded automatically. 

However, I will also have participants that do the experiment from outside SONA, using just the Millisecond link. In that case, what's the best way to record their participant numbers? Should I create a separate experiment for them? Will their participant numbers be recorded separately? Or should I just ask for SONA IDs within the experiment to avoid this problem?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks.
By Dave - 4/26/2023

sakm - 4/26/2023
I am connecting Inquisit to SONA as described in a previous forum post: https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26185.aspx

However, I will also have participants that do the experiment from outside SONA, using just the Millisecond link. In that case, what's the best way to record their participant numbers? Should I create a separate experiment for them? Will their participant numbers be recorded separately? Or should I just ask for SONA IDs within the experiment to avoid this problem?

I would create a separate experiment for them if you have that option. Then just let Inquisit generate random subject IDs. The reason why a separate experiment is preferable over anything else here is that SONA's crediting of course will not work for non-SONA IDs and participants that do not come from SONA would be confused b/c they'd be redirected to SONA and get an error at the end.
By sakm - 4/26/2023

Dave - 4/26/2023
sakm - 4/26/2023

I would create a separate experiment for them if you have that option. Then just let Inquisit generate random subject IDs. The reason why a separate experiment is preferable over anything else here is that SONA's crediting of course will not work for non-SONA IDs and participants that do not come from SONA would be confused b/c they'd be redirected to SONA and get an error at the end.

Thanks a lot Dave!
By sakm - 4/26/2023

Dave - 4/26/2023
sakm - 4/26/2023

Apologies, still have a question related to this. If participants are automatically redirected to SONA once they complete a study, I assume they are automatically granted credit. However, I have an informed consent radio button within the script that uses abort.script() if the participant clicks on No. But this seems to just take participants to the end of script and thanks them for their participation. Is there any way to make sure these participants are not granted credit?
By Dave - 4/26/2023

sakm - 4/26/2023
Dave - 4/26/2023
sakm - 4/26/2023

Apologies, still have a question related to this. If participants are automatically redirected to SONA once they complete a study, I assume they are automatically granted credit. However, I have an informed consent radio button within the script that uses abort.script() if the participant clicks on No. But this seems to just take participants to the end of script and thanks them for their participation. Is there any way to make sure these participants are not granted credit?

A couple of options:
(1) Do the consent outside of th Inquisit, just like all the library demos do. You can upload a HTML file containing all the pre-study information and the launch page will display that along with accept / decline buttons.

The advantage here is that people who don't wish to participate won't even have to download, install, or start the app.

(2) If, for some reason, you must or absolutely want to do all the consent stuff in Inquisit, select the default finish page in the web settings. You run a bunch of tasks via a batch script, so use /onscriptend in the <batch> elements to set the defaults.finishpage to the SONA crediting URL for those participants who advanced to the end of the study. Something like this:

<batch a>
/ groups = (1 of 2)
/ file = "consentform.iqx"
/ file="JBTStudy-RP3.exp"
/ file = "CQCQ_Vanessa.iqx"
/ file = "ShiftingStandardsscript.iqx"
/file = "demographicsurvey.iqx"
/file = "ClosingandDebriefing_VanessaAda.iqx"
/ onscriptend = [
    if (batch.a.currentscript == "ClosingandDebriefing_VanessaAda.iqx") {
        defaults.finishpage = "https://radboud.sona-systems.com/webstudy_credit.aspx?experiment_id=12429&credit_token=1eb03e63c70a44f9b65c06bb3cbe1d3e&survey_code=<%script.subjectid%>";
    }
]
</batch>

<batch b>
/ groups = (2 of 2)
/ file = "consentform.iqx"
/ file="JBTStudy-RP3.exp"
/ file = "ShiftingStandardsscript.iqx"
/ file = "CQCQ_Vanessa.iqx"
/file = "demographicsurvey.iqx"
/file = "ClosingandDebriefing_VanessaAda.iqx"
/ onscriptend = [
    if (batch.b.currentscript == "ClosingandDebriefing_VanessaAda.iqx") {
        defaults.finishpage = "https://radboud.sona-systems.com/webstudy_credit.aspx?experiment_id=12429&credit_token=1eb03e63c70a44f9b65c06bb3cbe1d3e&survey_code=<%script.subjectid%>";
    }
]
</batch>

By AchimS - 11/3/2023

Hello Dave,
thank you for the description of the two options for this case.
I'm in the same situation as sakm was, with the difference, that in my script, the command abort.script() exists several times for attention checks. If the participants fail the checks, they shall not be granted credit in SONA. That's why I need to choose Option 2. Also there is only one script per batch.
So I have two questions:
1. Does it also work, if there is just one script per batch? Means that the participants really have to complete this single script to get the credit granted?
2. Which option do I choose in the setting wizard? If I understand correctly, I could choose the default page or a custom finish page on which I explain, why the script has aborted and that the credit has not been granted, right?

By Dave - 11/3/2023

AchimS - 11/3/2023
Hello Dave,
thank you for the description of the two options for this case.
I'm in the same situation as sakm was, with the difference, that in my script, the command abort.script() exists several times for attention checks. If the participants fail the checks, they shall not be granted credit in SONA. That's why I need to choose Option 2. Also there is only one script per batch.
So I have two questions:
1. Does it also work, if there is just one script per batch? Means that the participants really have to complete this single script to get the credit granted?
2. Which option do I choose in the setting wizard? If I understand correctly, I could choose the default page or a custom finish page on which I explain, why the script has aborted and that the credit has not been granted, right?

> 1. Does it also work, if there is just one script per batch? Means that the participants really have to complete this single script to get the credit granted?

Just add a second "dummy" script that does nothing -- have it be just a single block running a single trial that takes no input and times out after a short time: Participants who complete the 1st script (with the attention checks) successfully will reach that 2nd script and can then be redirected to the crediting URL. Participants who fail the attention checks in the first script will never get to the 2nd one and thus will not be redirected to the crediting URL.

> 2. Which option do I choose in the setting wizard? If I understand correctly, I could choose the default page or a custom finish page on which I explain, why the script has aborted and that the credit has not been granted, right?

Yes, either of those two options should work (leaving it set to the default page definitely does).