Millisecond Forums

Dot Probe

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic35453.aspx

By So_Leonie - 6/15/2023

Hi, 

I'm using the Dot Probe task on Inquisit 6. I'd like to add an HTML page at a few points during the task that will ask the user a question. However, being an Inquisit beginner, I would need some advice on how and in which section I can add the HTML page to the script.

Thanks a lot!
By Dave - 6/15/2023

So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

I'm using the Dot Probe task on Inquisit 6. I'd like to add an HTML page at a few points during the task that will ask the user a question. However, being an Inquisit beginner, I would need some advice on how and in which section I can add the HTML page to the script.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, your description is too vague to provide any concrete guidance. For starters, it's not clear what "at a few points during the task" is supposed to mean. Second, a HTML page is not suitable for "asking the user a question" assuming that you want the participant to actually provide a response to said question and record that answer. So, what kind of question do you want to ask and what's the format supposed to be? A text box? A selection from a dropdown? Something else?

Finally, which dot probe? There isn't a single one, there are multiple: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/dotprobe

You ought to say which one of those you are working with.
By So_Leonie - 6/15/2023

Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, your description is too vague to provide any concrete guidance. For starters, it's not clear what "at a few points during the task" is supposed to mean. Second, a HTML page is not suitable for "asking the user a question" assuming that you want the participant to actually provide a response to said question and record that answer. So, what kind of question do you want to ask and what's the format supposed to be? A text box? A selection from a dropdown? Something else?

Finally, which dot probe? There isn't a single one, there are multiple: https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/dotprobe

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I'd like the question to appear 4 times during the task. The task is divided into 80 trials, so once after 20 trials, once after 40, once after 60 and once at the very end.
For the question type, I'd like to ask a question and the user must answer on a scale from 0% to 100%, on a visual scale if possible, but this could be a selection from a dropdown.
Finally, I use the "Alcohol Dot Probe" task.

Thank you.
By Dave - 6/15/2023

So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

I'd like the question to appear 4 times during the task. The task is divided into 80 trials, so once after 20 trials, once after 40, once after 60 and once at the very end.
For the question type, I'd like to ask a question and the user must answer on a scale from 0% to 100%, on a visual scale if possible, but this could be a selection from a dropdown.

Thank you.

For the question / visual scale, add a <slidertrial> to the script:

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/elements/slidertrial.htm

<slidertrial questiontrial>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.category = "question";
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=clearscreen, question]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ labels = ("0%", "100%")
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
/ posttrialpause = parameters.iti
</slidertrial>

<text question>
/ items = ("Your question goes here")
</text>

From <trial Alcohol> and <trial Filler>, /branch to the slidertrial you added whenever values.trialcount is a multiple of 20.

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    if (mod(values.trialcount, 20) == 0) {
        return slidertrial.questiontrial;
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

That's all there is to it.

By So_Leonie - 6/15/2023

Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/elements/slidertrial.htm

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

From <trial Alcohol> and <trial Filler>, /branch to the slidertrial you added whenever values.trialcount is a multiple of 20.

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Great, it works!
Thanks a lot.
By So_Leonie - 6/22/2023

Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I want to do exactly the same thing (add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during each task), but with the tasks "The Attentional Network Task as originally developed by Fan et al (2002)" and "the Approach Avoidance Task (joystick version)". I tried to modify the script so that it works, but I have not managed.

Is it complicated for you to give me the scripts for these two tasks?

Thank you very much!
By Dave - 6/22/2023

So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I want to do exactly the same thing (add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during each task), but with the tasks "The Attentional Network Task as originally developed by Fan et al (2002)" and "the Approach Avoidance Task (joystick version)". I tried to modify the script so that it works, but I have not managed.

Thank you very much!

You'll need to be more specific re. what exactly you did, then I can tell you what you did wrong.
By So_Leonie - 6/22/2023

Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

You'll need to be more specific re. what exactly you did, then I can tell you what you did wrong.

I used the codes you provided above, so the script related to the question, and the /branch for the trial part by changing the multiple. I didn't do anything else differently.

Thanks.
By Dave - 6/22/2023

So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

I used the codes you provided above, so the script related to the question, and the /branch for the trial part by changing the multiple. I didn't do anything else differently.

Thanks.

You cannot paste code that applies to one script into another, entirely different script and expect that to work. You need to first understand how that other script works and then make changes applicable to how that other script works. There's a user manual and there are comments throughout each script that explain the basic trial flow etc.

Where did you put the /branch? On what did you base the multiple? The values.trialcount variable exists in the dot probe script, it does not exist in every other script.

By Dave - 6/22/2023

Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

You cannot paste code that applies to one script into another, entirely different script and expect that to work. You need to first understand how that other script works and then make changes applicable to how that other script works. There's a user manual and there are comments throughout each script that explain the basic trial flow etc.

Where did you put the /branch? On what did you base the multiple? The values.trialcount variable exists in the dot probe script, it does not exist in every other script.

So, let's start with the ANT.

You say " I want to [...] add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during [...] task."

What does 10 times mean here? The ANT has a practice block, which consists of 24 rounds. It has a test block, which consists of 96 rounds. The task runs 3 instances of said test block, so  there are a total of 288 test rounds.

Does the "10 times" include the practice rounds or are you only talking about the test rounds?

The basic trial flow (this is the same for each cue condition -- nocue, centercue, doublecue, or spatialcue) is this (note that this is all explained in the comments throughout the script's  code):

cue trial -> cue trial2 -> ITI trial for the test rounds (so e.g. trial.nocue -> trial.nocue2 -> trial.iti).

For the practice rounds it's

cue trial -> cue trial 2 -> practice feedback trial -> ITI trial (so e.g. trial.centercue -> trial.centercue2 -> trial.practice_feedback -> trial.iti).

Where in that sequence do you want to go to your added scale trial?

For the test rounds: Before the ITI trial? After the ITI trial?

For the practice rounds, if at all: Before the feedback trial? After the feedback trial? After the ITI trial?
By So_Leonie - 6/26/2023

Dave - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

You say " I want to [...] add a question/visual scale from 0 to 100%, 10 times during [...] task."

What does 10 times mean here? The ANT has a practice block, which consists of 24 rounds. It has a test block, which consists of 96 rounds. The task runs 3 instances of said test block, so  there are a total of 288 test rounds.

Does the "10 times" include the practice rounds or are you only talking about the test rounds?

The basic trial flow (this is the same for each cue condition -- nocue, centercue, doublecue, or spatialcue) is this (note that this is all explained in the comments throughout the script's  code):

cue trial -> cue trial2 -> ITI trial for the test rounds (so e.g. trial.nocue -> trial.nocue2 -> trial.iti).

cue trial -> cue trial 2 -> practice feedback trial -> ITI trial (so e.g. trial.centercue -> trial.centercue2 -> trial.practice_feedback -> trial.iti).

For the practice rounds, if at all: Before the feedback trial? After the feedback trial? After the ITI trial?

Thanks for the information. I now understand that I need to adapt the codes specifically for the ANT. I apologize for not providing enough information.

I now understand the sequence, but is there a way for the scale to appear randomly regardless of the type of trial (nocue, centercue, etc.) and without following any particular multiple or order ?
By Dave - 6/26/2023

So_Leonie - 6/26/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I now understand that I need to adapt the codes specifically for the ANT. I apologize for not providing enough information.

I now understand the sequence, but is there a way for the scale to appear randomly regardless of the type of trial (nocue, centercue, etc.) and without following any particular multiple or order ?

Well, what does "randomly" mean? Based on what?
By So_Leonie - 6/26/2023

Dave - 6/26/2023
So_Leonie - 6/26/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

Based on nothing in particular. For example, the scale would appear randomly, in other words never at the same time from one run to the next, 5 times per test block (96 rounds), for a total of 15 times for all test rounds (288). Does it make sense?
By Dave - 6/26/2023

So_Leonie - 6/26/2023
Dave - 6/26/2023
So_Leonie - 6/26/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/22/2023
So_Leonie - 6/22/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Dave - 6/15/2023
So_Leonie - 6/15/2023
Hi, 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<trial Alcohol>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

<trial Filler>
/ branch = [
    }
]
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much!

Thanks.

Based on nothing in particular. For example, the scale would appear randomly, in other words never at the same time from one run to the next, 5 times per test block (96 rounds), for a total of 15 times for all test rounds (288). Does it make sense?

Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, that's possible. First, add a new variable (in <values>) that indicates whether the scale should be shown (1) or not (0). Then set up a list that contains 5 x the number 1 and 91 x the number 0. At the start of each test round, draw a number from that list and store it in the variable. If the variable is 1, /branch to the scale trial.
By siceta - 7/3/2023

Hi @Dave

Thank you so much for your help! I’m working with @So_Leonie on the ANT script adaptation (based on the English first script on https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/ant ).

I created a list of 98 values (the first two are 0)

<list meta_list>
/ items = (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
</list>

I also created the slider trial based on your advice :

/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
/ items = ("Pour cette réponse, comment avez-vous trouvé votre rapidité à répondre ?
0% étant j’ai été particulièrement long à répondre,
100% étant j’ai été extrêmement rapide à répondre.")
</text>

And then in the BLOCKS section of the script I added to Bloc ANT the bellow lines :
<block ANT>
/ onblockbegin = [
    values.blockcount += 1;
    values.practice = 0;
]
/ branch = [
    if (list.meta_list.nextvalue == 1) {
        } else if (list.meta_list.nextvalue == 0) {
        return trials;
        };
]

/ trials = [1 = blockinfo; 2 = getReady; 3-98 = noreplace(nocue, centercue, doublecue, spatialcue)]
</block>

I was expecting to display my question in a predetermined order, regardless of the block's trial conditions.

However it doesn't work. Inquisit tells me that "trials" is not recognized. i understand why it doesn't recognize it but i don't know what to replace it with.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
By Dave - 7/3/2023

siceta - 7/3/2023
Hi @Dave

Thank you so much for your help! I’m working with @So_Leonie on the ANT script adaptation (based on the English first script on https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/ant ).

<list meta_list>
/ items = (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
</list>

/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
/ items = ("Pour cette réponse, comment avez-vous trouvé votre rapidité à répondre ?
</text>

And then in the BLOCKS section of the script I added to Bloc ANT the bellow lines :
<block ANT>
/ onblockbegin = [
    values.blockcount += 1;
    values.practice = 0;
]
/ branch = [
        return trials;
        };
]

/ trials = [1 = blockinfo; 2 = getReady; 3-98 = noreplace(nocue, centercue, doublecue, spatialcue)]
</block>

I was expecting to display my question in a predetermined order, regardless of the block's trial conditions.

However it doesn't work. Inquisit tells me that "trials" is not recognized. i understand why it doesn't recognize it but i don't know what to replace it with.

Thanks for your help!

(1) If you want a list to sample its items in sequential order, you need to set its /selectionmode to sequence.
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/selectionmode.htm

(2) Nothing belongs in the <block> section. As I explained upthread, you will want to add a new variable to the <values> element. You will want to sample a value from the list and store it in that variable at the start of each round, i.e. /ontrialbegin in <trial nocue>, <trial centercue>, <trial doublecue>, and <trial spatialcue>.

(3) Then you need to /branch to the question trial at the appropriate point in the trial sequence, which I also explained upthread.
By Dave - 7/3/2023

Dave - 7/3/2023
siceta - 7/3/2023
Hi @Dave

<list meta_list>
</list>

/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<block ANT>
/ onblockbegin = [
    values.blockcount += 1;
    values.practice = 0;
]
/ branch = [
        return trials;
        };
]

</block>

Thanks for your help!

(1) If you want a list to sample its items in sequential order, you need to set its /selectionmode to sequence.
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/selectionmode.htm

(2) Nothing belongs in the <block> section. As I explained upthread, you will want to add a new variable to the <values> element. You will want to sample a value from the list and store it in that variable at the start of each round, i.e. /ontrialbegin in <trial nocue>, <trial centercue>, <trial doublecue>, and <trial spatialcue>.

(3) Then you need to /branch to the question trial at the appropriate point in the trial sequence, which I also explained upthread.

Attached is an example implementation of what you colleague described ("For example, the scale would appear randomly, in other words never at the same time from one run to the next, 5 times per test block (96 rounds), for a total of 15 times for all test rounds (288)"), as I explained in my response. Work through the code until you understand what it does.

The question trial in this implementation is invoked after a given test round's ITI trial; see the /branch in <trial ITI>. Neither you nor your colleague ever clarified where, precisely, within a given test rounds trial sequence you want the question trial to occur. Again, please refer to my previous explanations upthread, where all of this is already covered.
By siceta - 7/10/2023

Dave - 7/3/2023
Dave - 7/3/2023
siceta - 7/3/2023
Hi @Dave

<list meta_list>
</list>

/ size = (80%, 15%)
/ range = (0, 100)
/ position = (50%, 75%)
</slidertrial>

<text question>
</text>

<block ANT>
/ onblockbegin = [
    values.blockcount += 1;
    values.practice = 0;
]
/ branch = [
        return trials;
        };
]

</block>

Thanks for your help!

Attached is an example implementation of what you colleague described ("For example, the scale would appear randomly, in other words never at the same time from one run to the next, 5 times per test block (96 rounds), for a total of 15 times for all test rounds (288)"), as I explained in my response. Work through the code until you understand what it does.

The question trial in this implementation is invoked after a given test round's ITI trial; see the /branch in <trial ITI>. Neither you nor your colleague ever clarified where, precisely, within a given test rounds trial sequence you want the question trial to occur. Again, please refer to my previous explanations upthread, where all of this is already covered.

thank you so much for your help!