Millisecond Forums

time-sharing

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic36058.aspx

By luis - 3/8/2024

Dear all,
I am using INQUISIT mostly to run verbal Stroop tasks with SPEECH RECOGNITION, and I have experienced certain troubles with the Speech Recognition Engine. I turned to the VOICE RECORD, and I think that this provides a more reliable way of registering responses, while still providing an efficient way to analyze them. However, I have noticed that the scheduled trial timing varies from trial to trial, as if the program was stopping to access the disk and record the responses. The response-to-stimulus interval is important for my research, and thus I would like to know if there could a way to optimize time-sharing, for instance by forcing the system to access the disk during non-active intervals (e.g., during the presentation of the fixation point). I know this is a rather technical question, and I would like to think that this is only my impression and that the problem does not exist, but I need to know if the problem is real and if there could be a solution to it.
Thank you very much for your support,
Luis
By Dave - 3/8/2024

luis - 3/8/2024
Dear all,
I am using INQUISIT mostly to run verbal Stroop tasks with SPEECH RECOGNITION, and I have experienced certain troubles with the Speech Recognition Engine. I turned to the VOICE RECORD, and I think that this provides a more reliable way of registering responses, while still providing an efficient way to analyze them. However, I have noticed that the scheduled trial timing varies from trial to trial, as if the program was stopping to access the disk and record the responses. The response-to-stimulus interval is important for my research, and thus I would like to know if there could a way to optimize time-sharing, for instance by forcing the system to access the disk during non-active intervals (e.g., during the presentation of the fixation point). I know this is a rather technical question, and I would like to think that this is only my impression and that the problem does not exist, but I need to know if the problem is real and if there could be a solution to it.
Thank you very much for your support,
Luis

Disk access is always costly and will of course affect timing. To reduce variance, set a sufficiently long /posttrialpause in your trials.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtocontroltiming.htm