Millisecond Forums

Likert scale anchors

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic3616.aspx

By StudyGuy - 12/7/2009

Hello,

I want to have a likert scale that goes from 0 to 4, and I need to keep the scale numbers that way because there is a scoring protocol based on those numbers that I will need to do with the data. However, whenever I include the zero point in the scale, I try to run the sequence and it says "/ anchors: a quote, number or label is missing." I'm not sure why this is happening, since Help states that you can include a zero point in a likert scale. Here's what I have so far:

<likert pfq>

/ anchors = [0="Never"; 1="Rarely"; 2="Sometimes"; 3="Frequently"; 4="Continuously or almost continuously"]

/ stimulusframes = [1 = pfq]

/ mouse=false

/ numpoints=5

/ position= (50, 80)

</likert>

By Dave - 12/7/2009

Can't you just set it up like this?

<likert pfq>
/ anchors = [1="Never"; 2="Rarely"; 3="Sometimes"; 4="Frequently"; 5="Continuously or almost continuously"]
/ buttonvalues = [1="0"; 2="1"; 3="2"; 4="3"; 5="4"]
/ stimulusframes = [1 = pfq]
/ mouse = false
/ numpoints = 5
/ position= (50, 80)
</likert>

~Dave

By StudyGuy - 12/7/2009

I tried that, and the formatting works on the screen. However, the numerical keyboard does not indicate the correct values for responses. For example, when I want to enter a response of "0", I must press the "1" key, or when I want to enter a response of "1" I have to press the "2" key on the keyboard. Is there any way I can change the keyboard values?

By Dave - 12/7/2009

In this case, I would either switch to mouse input or build a 'custom' likert scale using the standard <trial> element. See the sample script available here: http://www.millisecond.com/download/samples/v2/CustomLikert/customlikert.zip. With the latter approach, I'd set '/ inputdevice = keyboard' and '/ validresponse = ("0", "1", "2", "3", "4")'. As you will notice, the data file will still not show the numerical values you want (0-4), but the respective keyboard scan codes (see http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v3/html/language/scancodes.htm). To remedy this problem, I would define a custom variable (<values> entry) and convert the scan codes to their respective numerical values via a few '/ ontrialend' attributes and log the variable in the data file (see <data> element). In sum:

<values>
/ likertresponse = ""
[...]
</values>

<trial customlikert>
[...]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ validresponse = ("0", "1", "2", "3", "4")
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.customlikert.response == 11) values.likertresponse = 0]
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.customlikert.response == 2) values.likertresponse = 1]
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.customlikert.response == 3) values.likertresponse = 2]
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.customlikert.response == 4) values.likertresponse = 3]
/ ontrialend = [if(trial.customlikert.response == 5) values.likertresponse = 4]
</trial>

<data>
/ columns = [..., values.likertresponse, ...]
[...]
</data>

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

By StudyGuy - 12/8/2009

Thanks! I went ahead and switched to mouse input, and now it seems to be working fine. So much for using the mysterious zero in the likert anchors :)

By Dave - 12/9/2009

So much for using the mysterious zero in the likert anchors

If this really bugs you, I recommend emailing support via support <at> millisecond.com. In any case, good you're up and running for now!

~Dave

By seandr - 12/9/2009

No need to email, I've noted this issue.

-Sean

By mcarr4 - 9/26/2012

Has this issue been resolved?

By seandr - 9/26/2012

Yes, this is fixed in the beta refresh (4.0.0.1).

-Sean

By mcarr4 - 9/27/2012

I still have an issue when I use this script:

<likert dreamq>

/anchors = [0= "no recall"; 1= "not at all";5= "moderate"; 9= "extremely"]

/stimulusframes = [1=dreamq]

/mouse = false

/fontstyle = ("Arial", 1.7%)

/numpoints = 10

/position = (50,60)

/pretrialpause = 500

</likert>