Millisecond Forums

Subject id from .txt file

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic3910.aspx

By peppo - 2/16/2010

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to string together different experiments (authorware and inquisit), with inquisit coming last. I want inquisit to use an id number that was specified earlier in the experiment.

I've tried to use authorware to start inquisit with an id number like this:

"C:\.......\script.exe 22"

but this way every participant in inquisit gets the same number. I can't get the subject id variable between the "" in authorware..

Perhaps it is possible to start inquisit with a subject id read from a text file? That way I could have authorware create a .txt with the subject id, and have inquisit read that file..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Peppo.

By Dave - 2/16/2010

Authorware should be able to append a variable (i.e. the id collected earlier) to a batch call. I'd try something like

JumpOut("C:\Program Files\Millisecond Software\Inquisit 3\Inquisit.exe", "C:\Experiments\MyExperiment.exp"; VariableNameToPass)

where 'VariableNameToPass' is the variable that holds the participant ID collected earlier.

If this doesn't work, I'd create a simple Windows text file containing the following line

"C:\Program Files\Millisecond Software\Inquisit 3\Inquisit.exe" "C:\Experiments\MyExperiment.exp" %1

and save it as 'startexp.bat' in the same direcory as the Authorware file. Then the first command would simplify to

JumpOut(FileLocation^"\\startexp.bat"; VariableNameToPass)

Some useful links:

Once you've worked out a solution, please post it here. Others will appreciate it.

~Dave

By peppo - 2/17/2010

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply! :D I used the .bat to get it to work! :)

I almost figured it out myself, except that I used this:

JumpOut("\\startexp.bat"; VariableNameToPass)

Which didn't work, now I've just used the following (difference is in the two backslashes, which Is stupid anyway :p):

JumpOut("startexp.bat"; VariableNameToPass)

(the .bat is in the same directory..)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Peppo

so, a recap on the solution for future readers:

• create a .bat file (using notepad) which contains the program and script, and %1, like so:

• "C:\Program Files\Millisecond Software\Inquisit 3\Inquisit.exe" "C:\Experiments\MyExperiment.exp" %1

• Save this as startexp.bat and use this to start your inquisit experiment in authorware (or other software for that matter..)

• Save the subject id in a variable (in this example: VariableNameToPass)

• line to start in authorware:

• JumpOut(FileLocation^"\\startexp.bat"; VariableNameToPass)

By Dave - 2/17/2010

Great! And thanks for posting a detailed outline of your solution -- I'm sure other users will find this very helpful.

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave