Millisecond Forums

single target IAT (another poor fool who is confused about d scores)

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic5062.aspx

By dan finkel - 10/24/2010

Hi,

I have browsed the forums in great depth looking for the knowledge I seek regarding d scores, so please rest assured that I made sure this question wasn't answered elsewhere before I posted (I think)...

I am running an edited version of the single target IAT template posted on the website, with the only major change to the script being a shift from 8 to 4 items.  I am a total IAT newbie - though after browsing these forum posts I now understand what the D score is, how is computed etc.  My understanding is that the column labeled "expressions.d" should be reporting a total D score for each participant - I can't find it!  I see d scores for each target/attribute, but no big daddy grand master D (though it is reported to each participant on the screen after they finish the task).  could you please help me figure out where this D is being recorded in the .dat file?  here is my script for your perusal...

thanks,

dan

By Dave - 10/24/2010

Heya,

How about you also post one of your data files and also tell us which Inquisit version you're using?

~Dave

By dan finkel - 10/24/2010

Sure - and thanks for quick response:

using inquisit 3.0.4.0, and here is a data file

kept browsing and found possible solution (haven't tried it yet, but anyway) - could it be that i could just remove the following

/recorddata = false

from within the "summary" block?

thanks again,

dan

By Dave - 10/25/2010

Well, the data file you posted clearly contains a record of big ol' D, so I'm a bit confused now. It's the rightmost column labeled 'expressions.d' (how unoriginal; also see http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic3444.aspx). Maybe open your data file in a spreadsheet app (e.g. Excel) to see the columns properly separated?

~Dave

By dan finkel - 10/25/2010

hi again - yes, i see a list of numbers in that column (and yes i have opened them in excel to see them all nice and orderly).  it looks to me (and again i don't know what i am doing) like each of the numbers in that column is associated with a particular word?  or is this just the running calculation of D, so the last number in the column is in fact the "total" d, so to speak?

thanks,

dan

By Dave - 10/25/2010

or is this just the running calculation of D, so the last number in the column is in fact the "total" d, so to speak?

Precisely. This is also covered in the thread I linked in my previous reply.

~Dave

By dan finkel - 10/25/2010

ok - thanks for the clarification (and isn't it wonderful that everything is working as it should?)

By Dave - 10/25/2010

and isn't it wonderful that everything is working as it should?

Yep, that's nice for a change.

By Lisa Z. - 12/17/2017

Hello,

we are also running an edited version of the single target IAT template posted on the website. The only major change to the script is, that we use only one sequence of blocks: there are two blocks in the original script, namely "latdiffa:difference in mean latencies of the first blocks (first compatible and first incompatible block)" and "latdiffb:difference in mean latencies of the second blocks (second compatible and second incompatible block)". Now two questions: first, can we still use the SPSS syntax provided on the website? Second, which d-scores are calculated by Inquisit, is this the D-600? 

Thank you in advance!

Lisa