Millisecond Forums

Preinstructions/Postinstructions

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic6310.aspx

By Malgo - 7/11/2011

Hello there,

I needed to include preinstructions and postinstructions in one block in an experiment and I wanted to include an image on both pages. As I found out, I could not have done it using a <preinstructions> option, because then I could use only <page> and thus I could use just a plain text.

Therefore, I included both preinstructions and postinstructions as a <surveypage> as one of the <trial> in this block. This means of course that I cannot collect data for all trials but I assumed that later in the analysis I would just omit those "empty" trials.

However, when I run experiment now, Inquisit informs me that: " Inquisit could not open the data file for writing. Inquisit was unable to save the data to: H:\Desktop\...dat"

Will these problems appear also later? and also pop up for participants? Should I change preinstructions to <preinstructions> again? If yes, is there any way of putting an image on the page?

Thank you in advance!

Malgo.

By Dave - 7/11/2011

Generally, if you require elaborate formatting (including mixing text and pictures) for instruction pages, use <htmlpage> instead of <page>. See the "Tower of London Task" available from the Task Library as an example.

However, when I run experiment now, Inquisit informs me that: " Inquisit could not open the data file for writing. Inquisit was unable to save the data to: H:\Desktop\...dat"

This is unrelated to the instructions issue. You either had the data file opened in another application when you ran the script, or you had stored the script in a location without write access, or you had not properly saved the script file before running.

Regards,

~Dave

By Malgo - 7/11/2011

I resolved the second problem. I simply indicated a file for data collection which I already deleted, so I just changed a file now.

I will try to use <htmlpage> instead. 

Thank you for help.