Millisecond Forums

making the mouse visible while a sound file plays

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic7263.aspx

By hannahr - 1/19/2012

hi,

i'd like to allow participants to move the mouse (and see the mouse on the screen) while i'm playing them a short sound file.  the goal of the experiment is to measure participants' anticipatory eye movements while they're listening to the sound file; they know they will have to click somewhere on the screen after the sound file is over and so i was hoping that if participants get visual feedback about where their mouse is they'll be more likely to move the mouse to the predicted location and therefore to LOOK where they anticipate they will be soon clicking.  but unfortunately, while the sound file is playing, the mouse disappears.

i saw this post (http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic4102.aspx#4102) about how to make the mouse invisible, but i can't figure out how to make the mouse *visible*. 

i'll paste a shortened version of our experiment below.  the script below displays an image and plays a sound.  when i run the script below the mouse only reappears after the sound file has played all the way through.

any suggestions for how to make the mouse visible throughout (even though participants' mouse clicks should still do nothing while the sound file is playing)?

thanks,

-hannah

<expt>

/ blocks = [1=mainBlock]

</expt>

<block mainBlock>

/ trials = [1 = playRecordingTrial]

</block>

<trial playRecordingTrial>

/ stimulustimes = [0=screenImage, recordingSampleSound]

/ timeout = 0

/ recorddata = false

</trial>

<sound recordingSampleSound>

/ erase = False

/ items = recordingSampleWavFile

/ playthrough = True

</sound>

<item recordingSampleWavFile>

/1 = "sample.wav"

</item>

<picture screenImage>

/ items = screenImage

/ position = (15, 45)

/ size = (1000, 1000)

/ halign = left

/ select = noreplace

/ erase = false

</picture>

<item screenImage>

/ 1 = "tube.jpg"

</item>

By Dave - 1/20/2012

<trial playRecordingTrial>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ stimulustimes = [0=screenImage, recordingSampleSound]
/ timeout = 0
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

works perfectly fine for me (and as expected), i.e., mouse cursor is visible during sound playback.

By hannahr - 1/20/2012

too easy!  yes, it works perfectly.  thanks for the quick rescue.