Millisecond Forums

Use of the spacebar to progress

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic7865.aspx

By jm2209 - 4/16/2012

Hi Sean,

I am having a few difficulties with the timings (standard IAT) and was hoping you could offer some advice. Firstly, can't seem to get the IAT to monitor the time properly, as the data just repeatedly shows the start time for the participant, rather than real time data.  Secondly, I would also like to fix the amount of time that the instructions are shown, as I need to plot the results against real time physiology data. 

Having had a look around the forum, I have managed to make the instructions auto advance after 30 seconds (sorry I can't remember the term used on here) and removed the text mentioning the spacebar, I am unable to stop its functionality, to stop any issues if pressed accidentally.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

John

By Dave - 4/16/2012

Having had a look around the forum, I have managed to make the instructions auto advance after 30 seconds (sorry I can't remember the term used on here) and removed the text mentioning the spacebar, I am unable to stop its functionality, to stop any issues if pressed accidentally.

You need to define either a proper /timeout or /trialduration for the <instructions> trial to advance after 30 seconds. You also need to remove the spacebar from the trial's /validresponse and only allow 'noresponse'. See the various tutorials included in the documentation for an introduction to Inquisit's basic language structure and functionality.

I am having a few difficulties with the timings (standard IAT) and was hoping you could offer some advice. Firstly, can't seem to get the IAT to monitor the time properly, as the data just repeatedly shows the start time for the participant, rather than real time data.

The 'time' column shows the time the experiment was started. It does not update and isn't supposed to (see the documentation for the <data> element and the /columns attribute for details). You'll want to make careful use of the 'elapesedtime' and/or 'currenttime' properties and log them to the data file (again, see the appropriate documentation topics for more details).

Regards,

~Dave