can I screen out participants

Author
BG_CQU
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good Evening

I need to redirect participants who don't fit certain demographic criteria at the beginning of the survey to a screen out page via a URL. Can anyone suggest a way that I can do this. I don't mind if the participant has to click the link themselves.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Belinda.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
You can use standard conditional logic in your script to do that. Set the defaults.finishpage property to the desired value (the screen out URL) and terminate the script if the screen out condition is met.

BG_CQU
BG_CQU
Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2K reputation)
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I have looked at the documentation regarding conditional logic and can only find where it applies to trials in an experiment rather than answers to survey questions. I wondered whether my best option was to use the 'stop' branching technique, so that if participants select a particular answer the script is stopped and they are sent to the finish URL that I will program when I put the survey/task on the millisecond website.

I was unable to find an example of syntax for this command, I'm wondering if you could provide me with one. This is the question that requires it: (if participants select "no", they need to be screened out)

<radiobuttons consent>
/caption = "I have read and understood the information sheet and agree to participate in the study"
/ options = ("No","Yes")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

Thanks!!
Belinda
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
A <surveypage> is a kind of <trial> element, i.e., what applies to <trial> elements in terms of conditional logic and event attributes applies to <surveypage>s and their questions as well. You'd essentially do something along the following lines:

<surveypage screenoutpage>
/ ontrialend = [if(radiobuttons.consent.response=="No") {defaults.finishpage="http://www.example.com"; script.abort(); }]
/ questions = [1=consent]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons consent>
/caption = "I have read and understood the information sheet and agree to participate in the study"
/ options = ("No","Yes")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

BG_CQU
BG_CQU
Thanks again for the quick reply!

At this point, with the syntax inserted, the survey continues to the end regardless of whether I select "yes" or "no" to the consent question.

Will this only work when I have the survey and task launched on the millisecond website (and have therefore specified a 'finishpage') or should it be working now using just the stand alone trial version of Inquisit?

Belinda.

<surveypage screenoutpage1>
/ ontrialend = [if(radiobuttons.consent.response=="No") {defaults.finishpage="www.websiteaddress.com"; script.abort(); }]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons consent>
/ options = ("No","Yes")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

Dave
Dave
#1: Inquisit Lab will *not* redirect you to any URL and isn't supposed to. That'll only work on the web.
#2: If have, of course, tested the code and verified it works under the current Inquisit release (4.0.8.0). If you are using an outdated version, please update your installation. Here's a bit of runnable example code:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=screenoutpage1; 2=mytrial]
</block>

/ ontrialend = [if(radiobuttons.consent.response=="No") {defaults.finishpage="http://www.websiteaddress.com"; script.abort(); }]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons consent>
/ options = ("No","Yes")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("The consent response was <%radiobuttons.consent.response%>. If you selected 'No' on the previous page, you should not be seeing this.")
</text>

Select 'No' and the script will terminate. Select 'Yes' and you'll see the message.

BG_CQU
BG_CQU
Thanks heaps Dave!!

One minor issue with this that I can't seem to rectify is that it places a 1 at the top left corner of the screen (see below) that might be a bit confusing to participants - any way I can get rid of it?

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/uploads/images/f2bdcedc-8789-471c-a591-ac78.png
Belinda
Dave
Dave
Sure. Set the <surveypage>'s /showpagenumbers attribute to false:

/ ontrialend = [if(radiobuttons.consent.response=="No") {defaults.finishpage="http://www.websiteaddress.com"; script.abort(); }]
/ showpagenumbers = false
</surveypage>

If you also want to get rid of the question numbering, do the same with the /showquestionnumbers attribute.

/ showquestionnumbers = false
</surveypage>

BG_CQU
BG_CQU
Brilliant! Thank you for all your help!
BG_CQU
BG_CQU
Ah...sorry...me again :)

This was all working very well on the stand alone version, but now I have uploaded the script to the website it's not functioning as hoped. If the participant selects "no" to consent question, the screen out page just aborts the script - no re-direct to URL. I have attached the syntax with the actual website I require the redirect to below, can you see why this might not be working?

<block screen1>
/ trials = [1=screenoutpage]
</block>

<surveypage screenoutpage>
/ ontrialend = [if(radiobuttons.consent.response=="No") {defaults.finishpage="http://www.myopinions.com.au/Surveys/RewardSurvey.aspx?codes=spsqiogaap&id=<id"; script.abort();}]
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ finishlabel = "Next"
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons consent>
/ options = ("No","Yes")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search