HOW TO RUN RANDOMLY BLOCKS IN AN EXPERIMENT?

Author
dilemma
Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)Respected Member (356 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there 
so below is my script...I want the experiment to run all the blocks but to run them randomly.
I tried the “random” and “noreplace” function but it does not work as it does only choose randomly one of the two blocks, while I want it to run all the blocks but in a random order the only time it works is in the last option that I reported (with nothing in front) but the problem it will run the blocks in the order that I have written them which is not what I want as it needs to be random!
Please advice for help!

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (intro1)
/ blocks = [ 1=noreplace(1a,1b); 2= 6; 3=noreplace(2a_1, 2a_2, 2a_3, 2a_4, 2a_5, 2a_6, 2a_7, 2a_8, 2a_9, 2a_10, 2a_11, 2a_12, 5a_1, 5a_2, 5a_3, 5a_4)]
/ postinstructions = (end)
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

<expt>
/ blocks = [ 1=random(1a,1b); 2= 6; 3=random(2a_1, 2a_2, 2a_3, 2a_4, 2a_5, 2a_6, 2a_7, 2a_8, 2a_9, 2a_10, 2a_11, 2a_12, 5a_1, 5a_2, 5a_3, 5a_4)]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

<expt>
/ blocks = [ 1=1a,1b; 2= 6; 3=2a_1, 2a_2, 2a_3, 2a_4, 2a_5, 2a_6, 2a_7, 2a_8, 2a_9, 2a_10, 2a_11, 2a_12, 5a_1, 5a_2, 5a_3, 5a_4]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
It only runs a single block because that's what you specified. Instead of

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=noreplace(a,b,c)]
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
/ blocks = [1-3=noreplace(a,b,c)]
</expt>

to run the 3 blocks a, b and c in random order.

Charlene_Wu
Charlene_Wu
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
Dave - 9/7/2015

<expt>
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
</expt>

Hi Dave,

I have a similar issue. In the <expt> of the file attached, you can see that I have 2 different EPTs, each with its own block. The first EPT has its orientation block (3 = orientationCvH), 2 rounds of the test block (4-5 = testCvH), and an end block (6 = endCvH). The other EPT is similar (7 = orientationVvS; 8-9 = testVvS;10 = endVvS). The EPTs need to remain in the same order of 1 orientation block + 2 test blocks + 1 end block.

I now wish to randomize these two EPTs such that some participants get blocks 3-6 first and others 3-10 first. I would like the rest of the script to stay the same.

How would I approach this? 

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Study 2_Test.iqx (343 views, 197.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 9/7/2015

<expt>
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
</expt>

Hi Dave,

I have a similar issue. In the <expt> of the file attached, you can see that I have 2 different EPTs, each with its own block. The first EPT has its orientation block (3 = orientationCvH), 2 rounds of the test block (4-5 = testCvH), and an end block (6 = endCvH). The other EPT is similar (7 = orientationVvS; 8-9 = testVvS;10 = endVvS). The EPTs need to remain in the same order of 1 orientation block + 2 test blocks + 1 end block.

I now wish to randomize these two EPTs such that some participants get blocks 3-6 first and others 3-10 first. I would like the rest of the script to stay the same.

Thank you in advance!

// CvH first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationCvH;
4-5 = testCvH;
6 = endCvH;
7 = orientationVvS;
8-9 = testVvS;
10 = endVvS;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
17 = FeelThermThreeGroup;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</expt>

// VvS first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationVvS;
4-5 = testVvS;
6 = endVvS;
7 = orientationCvH;
8-9 = testCvH;
10 = endCvH;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</expt>
Charlene_Wu
Charlene_Wu
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
Dave - 10/30/2020
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 9/7/2015

<expt>
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
</expt>

Hi Dave,

Thank you in advance!

// CvH first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationCvH;
4-5 = testCvH;
6 = endCvH;
7 = orientationVvS;
8-9 = testVvS;
10 = endVvS;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

// VvS first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationVvS;
4-5 = testVvS;
6 = endVvS;
7 = orientationCvH;
8-9 = testCvH;
10 = endCvH;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</expt>

Do I need to do anything to assign participants to different groups, or is it kind of automatic that they would just be randomly assigned to group 1 or ?
Charlene_Wu
Charlene_Wu
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 10/30/2020
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 9/7/2015

<expt>
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
</expt>

Hi Dave,

Thank you in advance!

// CvH first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationCvH;
4-5 = testCvH;
6 = endCvH;
7 = orientationVvS;
8-9 = testVvS;
10 = endVvS;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

// VvS first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationVvS;
4-5 = testVvS;
6 = endVvS;
7 = orientationCvH;
8-9 = testCvH;
10 = endCvH;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</expt>

Do I need to do anything to assign participants to different groups, or is it kind of automatic that they would just be randomly assigned to group 1 or ?

Sorry, group 1 or 2?
Dave
Dave
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 10/30/2020
Charlene_Wu - 10/30/2020
Dave - 9/7/2015

<expt>
</expt>

you ought to specify

<expt>
</expt>

Hi Dave,

Thank you in advance!

// CvH first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationCvH;
4-5 = testCvH;
6 = endCvH;
7 = orientationVvS;
8-9 = testVvS;
10 = endVvS;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</expt>

// VvS first
<expt>
/ blocks = [
1 = eligibility;
2 = Demo;
3 = orientationVvS;
4-5 = testVvS;
6 = endVvS;
7 = orientationCvH;
8-9 = testCvH;
10 = endCvH;
11 = ExplicitRate;
12 = AMPpractice;
13-15 = AMP;
16 = FeelThermConVio;
18 = thankyou;
19 = ineligible]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</expt>

Sorry, group 1 or 2?

If you're using Inquisit Lab, it prompts you for the group number when you run the script.

On the web, select either random or sequential group number generation in the web experiment's settings and indicate the number of groups as 2.

Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search