Adding a Y/N response with feedback a la IAT, and if/then clauses

Author
briancjo
Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Master Dave,

RE: htmlpage size.

I have an htmlpage of instructions. is there a way to make the center window larger. i tried canvassize in defaults but no changes.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
What you are looking for is the /windowsize attribute in the <instruct> element:

<instruct>
/ windowsize = (90%, 90%)
</instruct>

gwat
gwat
Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)Partner Member (793 reputation)
I am new to Inquisit and am trying to code a word completion task.  I have found some useful hints here and elsewhere and am using a survey page with a sequence of captions (for revealed text) and textboxes (for hidden characters - that the user has to fill in).   For example, the target might be constucted as <INQU>[_]<S>[_]<T>  where the <..>'s are captions and  the[_]'s are textboxes, and  which displays as INQU_S_T.

My current problem is that I can't find how to set the cursor (which can be tabbed from textbox to textbox) back to the first textbox after creating the target word.

It would also be useful if I could set CapsLock on, but this is not so important.

Cheers
Geoffrey Watson, 
QUT, Brisbane

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
> My current problem is that I can't find how to set the cursor (which can be tabbed from textbox to textbox) back to the first textbox after
> creating the target word.

I don't understand the problem. Please illustrate with a code example and provide a more detailed explanation (e.g. what does "creating the target word" mean?).

briancjo
briancjo
Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)
I am trying to setup likert scales. I am setting up the frames to ask one question at a time on the screen to  help the subject focus and not get lost in the inordinate amount of questions.
I need to have an input to skip the question if necessary, so I wanted to make a 0 value, which it the reference library states it can, but i get an error that the likert somlikert is missing a quote, number, whatever. i am aware that a zero "skip" value is against likert if you were wondering.
so now i have it as point 6 which is not ideal. any thoughts/help?

Dave
Dave
> I need to have an input to skip the question if necessary, so I wanted to make a 0 value, which it the reference library states it can, but i get
> an error that the likert somlikert is missing a quote, number, whatever. i am aware that a zero "skip" value is against likert if you were
> wondering.so now i have it as point 6 which is not ideal.

This description does not make much sense without you showing some actual code and explaining how you envision a 'zero "skip" value' to work. I'm also not sure what you are referring to with "so I wanted to make a 0 value, which it the reference library states it can". Please point to what you are referring to. Which topic in the reference library (?) are you talking about?

Dave
Dave
While I'm still unclear about what exactly you want to do, perhaps some of this may be helpful.

#1: If you want to stick with using <likert>s, you can do something like this:

<block someblock>
/ trials = [1-2 = somelikert]
</block>

<likert somelikert>
/ stimulusframes = [1=somequestion]
/ anchors = [1="Good"; 5="Bad"]
/ numpoints = 6
/ anchorwidth = 8%
/ buttonvalues = [1="1"; 2="2"; 3="3"; 4="4"; 5="5"; 6="X"]
/ position = (50%, 60%)
</likert>

<text somequestion>
/ items = ("Cat?", "Dog?")
</text>

#2: Alternatively, build your own likert-type scale using standard <trial>, <text>, etc. elements and give it a dedicated "skip" response.

<block someblock>
/ trials = [1-2 = somelikert]
</block>

<trial somelikert>
/ posttrialpause = 200
/ stimulusframes = [1=somequestion, lanchor, ranchor, line, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 00]
/ validresponse = ("01","02","03","04","05","00")
/ inputdevice = mouse
</trial>

<text somequestion>
/ items = ("Cat?", "Dog?")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<text lanchor>
/ items = ("Bad")
/ position = (25%, 52.5%)
</text>

<text ranchor>
/ items = ("Good")
/ position = (75%, 52.5%)
</text>

<shape line>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = black
/ size = (50%, 1%)
/ position = (50%, 60%)
</shape>

<text 01>
/ items = ("1")
/ size = (4%, 0.04px*display.canvaswidth)
/ position = (25%, 60%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<text 02>
/ items = ("2")
/ position = (37.5%, 60%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<text 03>
/ items = ("3")
/ position = (50%, 60%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<text 04>
/ items = ("4")
/ position = (62.5%, 60%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<text 05>
/ items = ("5")
/ position = (75%, 60%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<text 00>
/ items = ("SKIP")
/ size = (5%, 5%)
/ position = (50%, 70%)
/ txbgcolor = grey
/ vjustify = center
</text>

briancjo
briancjo
Here is the code

<text Panas>
/size = (500, 100)
/items = panas
/position = (50, 50)
/vjustify = center
/select = sequence
</text>

<item Panas>
/1 = "sad"
/2 = "calm"
/3 = "afraid"
/4 = "lonely"
/5 = "happy"
/6 = "hostile"
/7 = "relaxed"
/8 = "irritable"
/9 = "angry"
/10 = "fearless"
/11 = "disgusted with self"
/12 = "active"
/13 = "guilty"
/14 = "tired"
/15 = "distressed"
/16 = "excited"
/17 = "scornful"
/18 = "alert"
/19 = "upset"
/20 = "ashamed"
/21 = "scared"
/22 = "angry at self"
/23 = "enthusiastic"
/24 = "nervous"
/25 = "sleepy"
/26 = "determined"
/27 = "alone"
/28 = "jittery"
/29 = "lively"
/30 = "inspired"
/31 = "concentrating"
/32 = "dissatisfied with self"
/33 = "disgusted"
/34 = "attentive"
/35 = "sluggish"
/36 = "blameworthy"
/37 = "strong"
/38 = "proud"
/39 = "interested"
/40 = "loathing"
/41 = "bold"
</item>

<likert Panas>
/ anchors = [1="Very Slighty or Not At All";
2="A Little";
3="Moderately";
4="Quite a Bit";
5="Extremely";
6="Skip"]
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2%, true)
/ stimulusframes = [1 = panas]
/ mouse=false
/ numpoints=6
/ position= (50, 80)
</likert>

<block likertPanas>
/ preinstructions=(rate_panas)
/ trials = [1-41 = panas]
</block>

-------
These are the "remarks" re: anchors in the documentation:
This attribute assigns text labels to points on the Likert scale. Labels can be specified for any subset of points. The labels can be any string of text including blanks. Only one label can be assigned to a given point on the scale, and labels can not be assigned to points less than 0 or greater than the number of points specificed in the numpoints attribute.
------
It says labels cannot be assigned to points less than 0. That implies that points can be equal to 0? However whenever I try to assign
0=Skip, it will not let me and says that a number, point, label is missing when I check the code.

Right now, I have 6=Skip, which if i do averages and subjects skip will muck the data. obviously i can clean the data first, but i'm wondering if there is a shortcut.
So Is there a way to assign a value of zero to skip through the anchor element, OR is there a way i can add a button to skip the question, hence setting that button "Skip" equal to 0 on the stimulusframe that has the normal 5 pt likert scale.

simply, can i have the normal 5 pt likert scale with a addition button called "skip"

Dave
Dave
See the two examples in my previous reply for what you can do.

As detailed in the 1st example, if you want to stick to <likert>, you'll want to use the /buttonvalues attribute. If you want to set the 6th point to zero, you do

/ buttonvalues = [1="1"; 2="2"; 3="3"; 4="4"; 5="5"; 6="0"]
Edited 8 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search