hungry donkey getting more hungry: feedback problem

Author
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Is this a bug? Well, not exactly although it's not ideal either. Intuitively, both of these conditionsal statements should evaluate to true, so it's a matter of having the response property return different values depending on whether it's being compared with a string or a number. As of yet, no other property works that way, and it would require some mucking around with the expression evaluator to do this properly. I'll certainly put it on my list of possible features for a future release.

Sorry for somewhat falsely labeling this as a bug, Sean. I would have expected the expressions to work because within a trial using keypress responses noted as "literal" values the following syntax will function properly:

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [0=sometext]
/
validresponse = ("a", "b")
/ responsetrial = ("a", happytrial)
/
responsetrial = ("b", sadtrial)
</trial>

I understand that Inquisit records the scankeys in its datafile, but I wasn't aware that - after a keypress response trial has finished - only the scankey will be availble as response-property at runtime. Might it be possible - again - to tackle this problem by adding a new property to the trial element that returns the "literal" key value instead of the scankey value? However, I personally think that this is a minor issue at best.

Cheers,
~Dave

HTibboel
HTibboel
Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thank you all for your valuable comments and tips!! My hungry donkey task works now!

However, we still have one problem. We first have an habituation block where the participants have to practice. During this block the amount of losses and gains are already calculated. When the first real block begins (the actual experiment) we would like to start from 0. Is it possible to set the score back to zero somehow? I have tried to work with onblockend, but that didn't work...

Greetz

Kasia

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Glad to hear it's basically working now. For resetting the scores, using '/ onblockend' generally seems to be the right idea. So, I suppose there's just some minor error somewhere in the syntax. If you'd again like to upload your updated script, I'll take a look.

~Dave

HTibboel
HTibboel
Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)Expert (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dear Dave,

Thank you!!! Well, the file is uploaded on the following link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VAM5O4TI

The habituation/try out block is depicted as Hungry Donkey0. When I tried out the following, it didn't work:

<block hungry_donkey0>

/ trials = [1-5 = noreplacenorepeat (trial_ID1, trial_ID2, trial_ID3, trial_ID4, trial_ID5, trial_ID6, trial_ID7, trial_ID8, trial_ID9, trial_ID10)]

/ onblockend = [values == 00]

</block>

Furthermore, we downloaded at one computer the tryout version of Inquisit 3.00. We tried to run this experiment but then we got the notification that their is a port problem (we need that for measurement of the physiological data).

Parallel port operation failed.

Line Number: 200

File: .\DirLptPort.cpp

Status Code: 9996

Error Message: 'No device handle'

Do you know what this imply? Because on the other computer everything works ...

Thank you again!! Regards,

Kasia

Dave
Dave
Okay. This is fairly easy. You have these <values> in your script in order to keep track of gains/losses:

<values>
/ currenttotal = 0
/ previoustotal = 0
/ gain = 0
/ loss = 0
</values>

Now, after subjects have finished the habituation block, you'll want to reset all these values to zero. The correct syntax will look like this:

<block hungry_donkey0>
[...]
/ onblockend = [values.currenttotal = 0; values.previoustotal = 0; values.gain = 0; values.loss = 0]
</block>

As you can see, you have to specifically tell Inquisit the "name" of each <values> entry to reset. One further note: Assigning a value is done by using a single "=" sign. On the other hand, the double "==" sign is a logical operator used for evaluating the "Truth" of comparisons. That's that.

The port problem is a different story. Here are some basic things to check on: First, make sure that the computer really has a physical parallel port (i.e. crawl behind it and see if it's there). Also check the Windows device manager and see if you can find a correctly installed parallel port. Then start Inquisit and run the Parallel Port Monitor from the Tools menu. Switch through the port numbers and look for an entry that displays a non-zero value under port address (e.g. "378" or "3BC" on some systems). Once you have this, change the <port> elements in your script to use the correct port number (right now, they're referencing LPT1).

Best,
~Dave

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)

FYI - we've posted a new Hungry Donkey Task for Inquisit 3 to our task library. You can download it here:

http://www.millisecond.com/download/samples/v3/HungryDonkeyTask/default.aspx

-Sean

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search