Last frame of Movie/Video play (.mp4) Window 10 Inquisit 5.0.14.0 (Build 4291)

Author
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
kev_dent - 3/27/2020
I wonder if the movie window could be hidden or overwitten with a new stimulus just in the way we use a blank screen to clear everything before presenting new stimuli in a trial?

No, there's no way to do that.
kev_dent
kev_dent
Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I wonder if the movie window could be hidden or overwitten with a new stimulus just in the way we use a blank screen to clear everything before presenting new stimuli in a trial?

kev_dent
kev_dent
Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)
Ok sure this is test script that I'm only just starting to develop.
I will try the block suggestion and see how that works.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 3/27/2020
kev_dent - 3/27/2020

Hmmm, thats interesting.
Yes I set the background to red to illustrate the issue.
Do you know why the software behaves in this way?
Does this mean that inquist 5 is unable to display an image on the very next frame after a movie has played.
Is it possible to find out what the duration of the lag is?

Wait, nevermind -- I missed something about your script.

You're seeing the red flash because you're not running the trials in a block. If you do

<block example>
/ trials = [1=encode_interfere]
</block>

you wont see the red screen color flash between the two trials.

> Do you know why the software behaves in this way?

The long and short of it is that the video window has to be made to go away, and that takes at least a single display frame.
Dave
Dave
kev_dent - 3/27/2020

Hmmm, thats interesting.
Does this mean that inquist 5 is unable to display an image on the very next frame after a movie has played.

Wait, nevermind -- I missed something about your script.

You're seeing the red flash because you're not running the trials in a block. If you do

<block example>
/ trials = [1=encode_interfere]
</block>

you wont see the red screen color flash between the two trials.

kev_dent
kev_dent

Hmmm, thats interesting.

Dave
Dave
kev_dent - 3/27/2020
Dave - 3/27/2020

> there is always a very brief pause when the screen is blank and presented in the default screen colour.

That is because some stimulus or all the stimuli are erased. Make sure their /erase attributes are all set to false.

Shows the same behaviour even when the /erase of everything is false

Here is the script I am playing with:

<defaults>
/ screencolor = (255, 0, 0)
</defaults>

<video interference>
/ items = ("DVN1.mp4", "DVN2.mp4", "DVN3.mp4", "DVN4.mp4",, "DVN5.mp4")
/ erase = false
/ size=(960, 960)
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = (0, 0, 0)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<item stimulus>
/1="flagbwhite.bmp"
/2="spikebwhite.bmp"
/3="moonbwhite.bmp"
/4="fstarbwhite.bmp"
/5="heartbwhite.bmp"
/6="rhombwhite.bmp"
/7="diabwhite.bmp"
/8="arrbwhite.bmp"
/9="squbwhite.BMP"
/10="nbwhite.BMP"
/11="tribwhite.BMP"
/12="vabwhite.BMP"
/13="cirbwhite.BMP"
/14="crobwhite.BMP"
/15="mushbwhite.BMP"
/16="stabwhite.BMP"
</item>

<picture stimulus1>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (30, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<picture stimulus2>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (50, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<picture stimulus3>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (80, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<trial encode_interfere>
/stimulustimes = [0=blank,stimulus1,stimulus2,stimulus3;1000=interference]
/trialduration = 0
/validresponse = (0)
/ branch = [trial.recall]
</trial>

<trial recall>
/ stimulusframes = [1=blank,stimulus2]
/ validresponse = ("a", "b")
</trial>

Then there's nothing that can be done. You can set the screencolor to black, then at least you won't get any easily noticeable flash.
kev_dent
kev_dent
Dave - 3/27/2020

> there is always a very brief pause when the screen is blank and presented in the default screen colour.

That is because some stimulus or all the stimuli are erased. Make sure their /erase attributes are all set to false.

Shows the same behaviour even when the /erase of everything is false

Here is the script I am playing with:

<defaults>
/ screencolor = (255, 0, 0)
</defaults>

<video interference>
/ items = ("DVN1.mp4", "DVN2.mp4", "DVN3.mp4", "DVN4.mp4",, "DVN5.mp4")
/ erase = false
/ size=(960, 960)
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (50, 50)
</video>

<shape blank>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = (0, 0, 0)
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<item stimulus>
/1="flagbwhite.bmp"
/2="spikebwhite.bmp"
/3="moonbwhite.bmp"
/4="fstarbwhite.bmp"
/5="heartbwhite.bmp"
/6="rhombwhite.bmp"
/7="diabwhite.bmp"
/8="arrbwhite.bmp"
/9="squbwhite.BMP"
/10="nbwhite.BMP"
/11="tribwhite.BMP"
/12="vabwhite.BMP"
/13="cirbwhite.BMP"
/14="crobwhite.BMP"
/15="mushbwhite.BMP"
/16="stabwhite.BMP"
</item>

<picture stimulus1>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (30, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<picture stimulus2>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (50, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<picture stimulus3>
/items = stimulus
/ position = (80, 50)
/ erase = false
</picture>

<trial encode_interfere>
/stimulustimes = [0=blank,stimulus1,stimulus2,stimulus3;1000=interference]
/trialduration = 0
/validresponse = (0)
/ branch = [trial.recall]
</trial>

<trial recall>
/ stimulusframes = [1=blank,stimulus2]
/ validresponse = ("a", "b")
</trial>

Dave
Dave
kev_dent - 3/27/2020
I too am trying to implement this solution.
I wish to present some shapes for a participant to remember, then play a movie, then present some shapes that are either same or different from the original ones.
When I set this up as suggested using a Branch after the movie is done and before the shapes appear the second time there is always a very brief pause when the screen is blank and presented in the default screen colour.
I can not seem to get the shapes to appear the second time immediately after the movie with no gap.
Can you help.

kev_dent
kev_dent
I too am trying to implement this solution.
I wish to present some shapes for a participant to remember, then play a movie, then present some shapes that are either same or different from the original ones.
When I set this up as suggested using a Branch after the movie is done and before the shapes appear the second time there is always a very brief pause when the screen is blank and presented in the default screen colour.
I can not seem to get the shapes to appear the second time immediately after the movie with no gap.
Can you help.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search