Offline mode in Inquisit Web

Author
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I have an 11-session experiment run via batch script and would preferably tell participants once at the beginning to switch the experiment in Inquisit Player to "offline mode" rather than all 11 times. Is this possible, or does functionality only exist for it each session? Could this be added to the next software update if not?

Thank you
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
inquisituser22 - 4/26/2022
Hello,
I have an 11-session experiment run via batch script and would preferably tell participants once at the beginning to switch the experiment in Inquisit Player to "offline mode" rather than all 11 times. Is this possible, or does functionality only exist for it each session? Could this be added to the next software update if not?

Thank you

Already answered here: https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34262.aspx

"If your set of scripts is stable, i.e. don't have to be changed around online anymore, you can also put the experiment into "offline" mode on any given device, in which case all materials (scripts, assets, etc. for all sessions) will donwloaded and persistently stored on the device, i.e. they don't have to be downloaded anew every time. "
inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

"If your set of scripts is stable, i.e. don't have to be changed around online anymore, you can also put the experiment into "offline" mode on any given device, in which case all materials (scripts, assets, etc. for all sessions) will donwloaded and persistently stored on the device, i.e. they don't have to be downloaded anew every time. "

Thanks for the fast reply, my coworker and I must be doing that wrong - we found that we had to select "Offline" every time for each new session on our devices?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Thanks for the fast reply, my coworker and I must be doing that wrong - we found that we had to select "Offline" every time for each new session on our devices?

Once a given study has been set to offline, it should stay offline on the device. Describe the exact steps you went through in detail, please.

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Once a given study has been set to offline, it should stay offline on the device. Describe the exact steps you went through in detail, please.

Here's what we tried:
Inquisit Player --> Tests Tab --> check "Offline" next to experiment title, then enter a session ID and run. Open the next session, Offline is no longer checked.
Dave
Dave
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Here's what we tried:
Inquisit Player --> Tests Tab --> check "Offline" next to experiment title, then enter a session ID and run. Open the next session, Offline is no longer checked.

(1) Did you wait for the materials to be fully downloaded to the device first? When you enable the offline box, it first turns grey while it's downloading the materials. Once the download has finished, it turns into a checkmark.
(2) As long as the device has an internet connection, you can still launch via the experiment's start page as usual, even if "offline" mode is engaged and take advantage of the automatic session management. I.e. you don't need to enter the session number manually if you don't want to

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Here's what we tried:

(1) Did you wait for the materials to be fully downloaded to the device first? When you enable the offline box, it first turns grey while it's downloading the materials. Once the download has finished, it turns into a checkmark.
(2) As long as the device has an internet connection, you can still launch via the experiment's start page as usual, even if "offline" mode is engaged and take advantage of the automatic session management. I.e. you don't need to enter the session number manually if you don't want to

1) Thank you I didn't realize that with the checkmarks, will do. 

2) Also I am optimistically intrigued by #2 - are you by chance saying we could resolve the issue where we need participants to enter their own session ID in Inquisit Player for every session after they've jumped ahead, as long as the experiment is in online mode?

3) Is my understanding correct that participants might be able to accidentally uncheck 'offline mode' for all participants doing the experiment since its just managed through an individual's app, rather than the study settings on the website?
Dave
Dave
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Here's what we tried:

2) Also I am optimistically intrigued by #2 - are you by chance saying we could resolve the issue where we need participants to enter their own session ID in Inquisit Player for every session after they've jumped ahead, as long as the experiment is in online mode?

3) Is my understanding correct that participants might be able to accidentally uncheck 'offline mode' for all participants doing the experiment since its just managed through an individual's app, rather than the study settings on the website?

FWIW, I've put your study into offline mode on one of my devices and it works just fine.

I can run every session, and offline mode remains engaged.

I don't understand 2). What I'm saying is, even if the study is set to offline on a device (as in the above screenshot), it can be launched via

https://mili2nd.co/eo6b?subjectid=test&groupid=1

and the server will take care of the automatic session management. You can, as before, override that by entering a session number directly in the player and launching from there.

Re. 3), offline mode is a local, on-device setting. Whoever controls the device can enable or disable offline mode at will.
inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Here's what we tried:

FWIW, I've put your study into offline mode on one of my devices and it works just fine.

I don't understand 2). What I'm saying is, even if the study is set to offline on a device (as in the above screenshot), it can be launched via

and the server will take care of the automatic session management. You can, as before, override that by entering a session number directly in the player and launching from there.

Re. 3), offline mode is a local, on-device setting. Whoever controls the device can enable or disable offline mode at will.

Ok thanks for these clarifications and for testing it. I guess it was because we didn't wait for it to download and become a checkmark before. so:

For 2) my understanding from our prior discussions was that once you override session management by entering a session number directly into the player, participants (let's say you jumped to session 6) who then need to do session 7 would need to directly enter that into the player the next time, versus the server or device storing the information that the participant had already done session 6 and should now do session 7, as opposed to starting them automatically back at session 1. I Wwas becoming intrigued from your prior post that "offline mode" would then remember they were at session 7 instead of bouncing them back to session 1?

3) So each participant sets offline mode once on their own device, but it doesn't control it across all participants' devices then, right?
Dave
Dave
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Dave - 4/26/2022
Hello,

Thank you

Here's what we tried:

Ok thanks for these clarifications and for testing it. I guess it was because we didn't wait for it to download and become a checkmark before. so:

For 2) my understanding from our prior discussions was that once you override session management by entering a session number directly into the player, participants (let's say you jumped to session 6) who then need to do session 7 would need to directly enter that into the player the next time, versus the server or device storing the information that the participant had already done session 6 and should now do session 7, as opposed to starting them automatically back at session 1. I Wwas becoming intrigued from your prior post that "offline mode" would then remember they were at session 7 instead of bouncing them back to session 1?

3) So each participant sets offline mode once on their own device, but it doesn't control it across all participants' devices then, right?

Re. 2), as long as you launch via the online start page, the server does the session management. If you override via the player, that does not change the session status server-side. Offline mode changes nothing about this.

Re. 3), yes. Everybody controls their own device, not others' devices.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search