How to get three stimuli to present at the same time? (Crowding Task)

Author
lirpa
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all!
I'm very new to Inquisit and struggling to find the problem (although it is probably very obvious) in my code.

I'm trying to get a target letter to present simultaneously with a left and right flanker along the horizontal. Whilst the code launches, it only presents one letter.

Here's an excerpt of an example trial and how the stimuli are defined (note: size, colour, etc are all kept the same and defined in a defaults section). The target letter is a "c" presented on the right side of the screen, and the aim is to have it flanked by two other letters (selected at random from "C", "D", "S", and "V.") These flankers are supposed to present 1 unit of target width away from the target along the horizontal.

I'm thinking it may be because i'm lacking something which instructs inquisit to select the Righttarget_Lflanker1 at (and Rflanker) at random from the /items? Or because /items isn't valid under a text element so i need /select somewhere? I'm really not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

<text Right_C>
/items = ("C")
/position = (66.57%, 50%)
</text>

<text right_target>
/items = ("C","D","S","V")
</text>

<text Righttarget_Lflanker1>
/position = (text.right_target.hposition - 1*text.right_target.width, 50%)
</text>

<text Righttarget_Rflanker1>
/position = (text.right_target.hposition + 1*text.right_target.width, 50%)
</text>

<trial CD1_RT_C>
/ stimulustimes = [1=text.fixation; 1000=Right_C, Righttarget_Lflanker1, Righttarget_Rflanker1; 1100 =clearscreen]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ validresponse = ("c", "d", "s", "v")
/ correctresponse = ("c")
/ posttrialpause = 500
</trial>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
lirpa - 7/19/2022
Hi all!
I'm very new to Inquisit and struggling to find the problem (although it is probably very obvious) in my code.

I'm trying to get a target letter to present simultaneously with a left and right flanker along the horizontal. Whilst the code launches, it only presents one letter.

Here's an excerpt of an example trial and how the stimuli are defined (note: size, colour, etc are all kept the same and defined in a defaults section). The target letter is a "c" presented on the right side of the screen, and the aim is to have it flanked by two other letters (selected at random from "C", "D", "S", and "V.") These flankers are supposed to present 1 unit of target width away from the target along the horizontal.

I'm thinking it may be because i'm lacking something which instructs inquisit to select the Righttarget_Lflanker1 at (and Rflanker) at random from the /items? Or because /items isn't valid under a text element so i need /select somewhere? I'm really not sure.

<text Right_C>
/items = ("C")
</text>

<text right_target>
</text>

</text>

</text>

<trial CD1_RT_C>
/ stimulustimes = [1=text.fixation; 1000=Right_C, Righttarget_Lflanker1, Righttarget_Rflanker1; 1100 =clearscreen]
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 500
</trial>

Your <text right_target> has no defined width, it's zero, so this is bound to fail:

</text>

</text>

Your flankers will thus both end up in the same position as <text right_target>, i.e. the stimuli all cover each other up.

Define a /size in <text right_target>.
lirpa
lirpa
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 7/19/2022
lirpa - 7/19/2022
Hi all!

<text Right_C>
/items = ("C")
</text>

<text right_target>
</text>

</text>

</text>

<trial CD1_RT_C>
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ posttrialpause = 500
</trial>

Your <text right_target> has no defined width, it's zero, so this is bound to fail:

</text>

</text>

Your flankers will thus both end up in the same position as <text right_target>, i.e. the stimuli all cover each other up.

Define a /size in <text right_target>.

Thankyou so much Dave, that did the trick!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search