Emotional Stroop

Author
Igor Iarrobino
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everyone,

I am trying to modify an IQx script about emotional stroop to fit it right in our intensions.
It is quite hard to find a solution as I have to change a lot of specifics and I am pretty lost!

the experiment should run like this:
"Participants categorize words as "disgust/disgusto" feeling or a "fear/paura" feeling.
The words are presented at the center of images. The image either show a word congruent face emotion
(e.g. "disgsut" face paired with word "disgustato/nauseato/stomacato") or an incongruent one (e.g. "disgust face" paired with word "impaurito/intimorito/terorizzato").
Images depict disgust/disgusto and fear/paura emotions of Caucasian faces.
Participants work through 2 test blocks: one block presents an equal number of congruent and incongruent pairings. In one block, the participant have to respond to the emotional word.
In another block, the participant have to respond to the emotional face.
Block order is determined randomly.
In this script, the response button for 'disgust' is located on the left side and the response button for 'fear/paura' is located
on the right side of the screen."

Actually, I modified it a lot to follow our goals, but I would need a huge help now.

Could someone have  look at the script and suggest/write/modify in order to run it properly? I would appreciate a lot. Sorry beforehand. And thnk you very much before hand!
(and I would need some suggestions to have a leftfear(paura) script).
You can find attached the entire script I tried to modify.

Attachments
emostroop_leftdisgust_3.iqx (35 views, 60.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 7/18/2024

Please do not paste entire scrrpts into a post's body. This is error-prone and difficult to work with. Please also don't attach each and every individual file separately. Instead, please put everything -- the script and any files such as images that the script requires --- in a ZIP archive and attach the archive. Thanks.

Explain the reasoning behind your /branch logic in the various practice <block> elements. It makes no sense to me on its face. For example, what is

<block practice1>
/ onblockbegin = [
list.accuracy.reset();
list.latencies.reset();
values.practice1Runs += 1;
]
/ trials = [1 = getReady1; 2-7 = practice1]
/ branch = [
if (list.accuracy.mean < 1 && !monkey.monkeymode) {
return block.repeatPractice;
};
]
</block>

<block repeatPractice>
/ trials = [1=repeatPractice]
/ branch = [
if (values.practice2WRuns > 0) {
return block.practice2W;
} else {
return block.practice1;
};
]
</block>

supposed to do exactly and why? If performance in <block practice1> was inadequate, you /branch to <block repeatPractice>. So far, so good. But why should <block repeatPractice> ever have to then /branch to an entirely different block <block practice2W>? If you land in <block repeatPractice>, you always want to return to <block practice1>, that is the one that was failed.

If performance in <block practice1> is adequate, then no /branch to <block repeatPractice> occurs and that is exactly what you should want to happen.

The script then moves on to the next block specified in the <expt>'s /blocks, which is <block practice2WIntro>.

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
  if (computer.touch && !computer.haskeyboard) {
   text.continueButton_Pnd.skip = true;
   text.continueButton_intro.skip = true;
   text.continueButton_testblock.skip = true;
  };]

/ blocks = [
  1 = intro;
  2 = practice1Intro;
  3 = practice1;
  4 = practice2WIntro;