Dot Probe Experiment Wanted Please!

Author
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi Lucy,

There are a lot of columns that I am unsure about

Inquisit's default data recording scheme is described in the documentation (http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v2/html/language/datarecording.htm; for details on each column see http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v2/html/language/attributes/columns.htm).

A few additional comments on my part:

I need to see the participants reaction times from when the dot appeared to when they gave a response

Participant's reaction times are contained in the data file's 'latency' column. However, as I mentioned earlier, you should double-check if your <trial> elements start recording those reaction times at the right moment (-> my previous bit about the '/ responsetime' attribute), i.e. at the same time the dots appear (2000ms, if I remember correctly).

I also need to see if they gave the correct response (a or l).

The key pressed is recorded in the 'response' column. However, note that Inquisit does not record the "literal" key value (a or l), but the corresponding keyboard scancode (http://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v2/html/language/scancodes.htm). The 'correct' column would usually indicate whether the given response was correct, however you need to define the '/ correctresponse' attribute in your <trial> elements for this to work (otherwise Inquisit can't know which of the available, "valid" responses is to be scored as correct).

Regards,

~Dave

Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv
Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks Dave,

Those links are really useful.

I changed each trial to show a response time at 2000:

<trial f1aCOMPneutral*>

/ pretrialpause = 500

/ stimulustimes = [1= focuspoint; 500 = rectangle_pic; 1000=f1compassionleft_pic,f1neutralright_pic; 1500 = rectangleright_pic, rectangleleft_pic; 2000= replace(target1left, target2left); 2500 = rectangleright_pic, rectangleleft_pic]

/ inputdevice = keyboard

/ responsetime = 2000

/ validresponse = ("a", "l")

/ posttrialpause = 180

</trial>

I also specified earlier in my trials document that when it was target1left or target1right the correct response was 'a' and when it was target2left or target2right the correct response was 'l'. Do I need to add this into the the main trial section too? The problem is because I've asked it to randomly put a '..' or ':' on the left or right hand side I won't know if the correct response is 'a' or 'l'.

Here is where I defined the targets earlier in the file:

<trial target1left>

/stimulustimes = [1=target1left]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("a")

</trial>

<trial target2left>

/stimulustimes = [1=target2left]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("l")

</trial>

(same for right)

/ posttrialpause = 180

</trial>

Thanks,

Lucy

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

The problem is because I've asked it to randomly put a '..' or ':' on the left or right hand side I won't know if the correct response is 'a' or 'l'.

Then you'll have to score correct vs. incorrect responses post-hoc (i.e. based on the dot position during data preparation / analysis in Excel, SPSS or whatever).

Running out of valedictions,

~Dave

Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv
Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4K reputation)

Hi Dave,

Is there no way Inquisit can know that whenever the target has a '1' in it the correct response is 'a' and when it's a '2' the correct response is 'l'?

If not is there any point me putting this in?:

<trial target1left>

/stimulustimes = [1=target1left]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("a")

</trial>

<trial target2left>

/stimulustimes = [1=target2left]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("l")

</trial>

<trial target1right>

/stimulustimes = [1=target1right]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("a")

</trial>

<trial target2right>

/stimulustimes = [1=target2right]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("l")

</trial>

/ posttrialpause = 180

</trial>

Dave
Dave

Sorry, obviously I'm missing something. However, how about you just take the pragmatic way and generate a few test data sets to check if the correct / incorrect scoring, etc. is working as you intended? If so, perfect. If not, figure out in which cases it doesn't work and debug from there.

~Dave

Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv

Hi,

I had a go at the experiment and answered incorrectly for the first 3 trials and then correctly for the next 3, however in the correct column in the output it just says 0 for each one.

I'll just have to go through by hand and write down if the response was correct or not if it's not possible to use the code I wrote defining the correct response in each instance.

Thanks

Lucy.

Dave
Dave

I had a go at the experiment and answered incorrectly for the first 3 trials and then correctly for the next 3, however in the correct column in the output it just says 0 for each one.

This really sounds like you haven't defined any '/ correctresponse' attribute for these <trial> elements. I suggest you review these parts of the script.

~Dave

Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv

Hi,

So is this not correct?:

(I can't specify which is the correct response in each trial because I don't know whether the : or the .. is going to be selected (I want it to be random)).

I assumed that if I defined the correct response for each of the 4 targets, then when they were called in the individual trial the correct response would be known....

<trial target2right>

/stimulustimes = [1=target2right]

/inputdevice = keyboard

/correctresponse = ("l")

</trial>

Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv

Hi,

Also another output question,

Can I just delete the columns where I've put a question mark? I can't see what use they have....

I have highlighted some things I am still not sure about in yellow.

Thanks,

Lucy.

Attachments
OUTPUT.xls (353 views, 33.00 KB)
Lucy and Shiv
Lucy and Shiv

Do I need to say something like I've put in bold? Obviously that's not right but is it something like that?

If not please could you help me find out how Inquisit can locate my previous definitions of the correct responses...

Just looked into writing the correct response column by hand but it will take me ages, 112 trials x 150 participants!

Thanks

<trial f1aCOMPneutral*>

/ pretrialpause = 500

/ stimulustimes = [1= focuspoint; 500 = rectangle_pic; 1000=f1compassionleft_pic,f1neutralright_pic; 1500 = rectangleright_pic, rectangleleft_pic; 2000= replace(target1left, target2left); 2500 = rectangleright_pic, rectangleleft_pic]

/ inputdevice = keyboard

/ responsetime = 2000

/ correctresponse = [(target1left, target1right = 'a'; target2left, target2right = 'l')]

/ posttrialpause = 180

</trial>

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search