Can I disable "next" button on openended for a duration of time?

Author
Bibliophelia
Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Monday, July 16, 2018
Bibliophelia - Monday, July 16, 2018
Hi Dave & other admins,

I hope it's okay I respond to this threat even though it's Inquisit 3, I work with Inquisit 4.

I already got great help from Dave and was hoping you could help me with a similar issue here. I want to disable the Next button (in my case, labeled "Make Decision") until participants have clicked on at lost 4 cells (that is, completed at least 4 trials within my experimental block).

I successfully added the following code, which collects the number of trials completed:

/ontrialend = [values.count_All = values.count_A1Weather + values.count_A2Sights + values.count_A3Price + values.count_A4Dining + values.count_A5Five + values.count_A6Six + values.count_B1Weather + values.count_B2Sights + values.count_B3Price + values.count_B4Dining + values.count_B5Five + values.count_B6Six + values.count_C1Weather + values.count_C2Sights + values.count_C3Price + values.count_C4Dining + values.count_C5Five + values.count_C6Six + values.count_D1Weather + values.count_D2Sights + values.count_D3Price + values.count_D4Dining + values.count_D5Five + values.count_D6Six + values.count_E1Weather + values.count_E2Sights +
values.count_E3Price + values.count_E4Dining + values.count_E5Five +values.count_E6Six]

However, I am not sure where to insert "[if (values.count_All >= 4) ...]" etc. into my code to connect the variable "values.count_All" to my Next button. Or would it be better to use "/isvalidresponse"? My code already has "/validresponse", so I am not sure how to go about adding "/isvalidresponse" as well. I know they can be used together.

I tried adding the if command to the following line but it only influences the concat, not that the participant is being send to the next page:

/ontrialend = [if (trial.decisionboard.response == "finish" && values.count_All >= 4) {values.viewingorder = concat(values.viewingorder, "decision")}]

I'm attaching the code. I'm sure this is easy to fix, I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks again so much! This forum is a lifesaver!

Best,
Julia

Yes, you will need to use /isvalidiresponse for this. You cannot handle this with /ontrialend.

Hi there,

sorry for asking yet again but for me, neither /isvalidresponse nor /iscorrectresponse works for me.

When I set /isvalidresponse  = [values.count_All >= 4], nothing can be clicked or interacted with. I cannot move forward and need to end the task with Control + Q.
When I set /iscorrectresponse  = [values.count_All >= 4], I can interact with everything but will be able to move forward without completing at least 4 trials.

I am certain this must be easy to accomplish, so what am I doing wrong?

Thank you again,
Julia

Bibliophelia
Bibliophelia
Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)Partner Member (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Bibliophelia - Tuesday, July 24, 2018
Dave - Monday, July 16, 2018
Bibliophelia - Monday, July 16, 2018
Hi Dave & other admins,

I hope it's okay I respond to this threat even though it's Inquisit 3, I work with Inquisit 4.

I already got great help from Dave and was hoping you could help me with a similar issue here. I want to disable the Next button (in my case, labeled "Make Decision") until participants have clicked on at lost 4 cells (that is, completed at least 4 trials within my experimental block).

I successfully added the following code, which collects the number of trials completed:

/ontrialend = [values.count_All = values.count_A1Weather + values.count_A2Sights + values.count_A3Price + values.count_A4Dining + values.count_A5Five + values.count_A6Six + values.count_B1Weather + values.count_B2Sights + values.count_B3Price + values.count_B4Dining + values.count_B5Five + values.count_B6Six + values.count_C1Weather + values.count_C2Sights + values.count_C3Price + values.count_C4Dining + values.count_C5Five + values.count_C6Six + values.count_D1Weather + values.count_D2Sights + values.count_D3Price + values.count_D4Dining + values.count_D5Five + values.count_D6Six + values.count_E1Weather + values.count_E2Sights +
values.count_E3Price + values.count_E4Dining + values.count_E5Five +values.count_E6Six]

However, I am not sure where to insert "[if (values.count_All >= 4) ...]" etc. into my code to connect the variable "values.count_All" to my Next button. Or would it be better to use "/isvalidresponse"? My code already has "/validresponse", so I am not sure how to go about adding "/isvalidresponse" as well. I know they can be used together.

I tried adding the if command to the following line but it only influences the concat, not that the participant is being send to the next page:

/ontrialend = [if (trial.decisionboard.response == "finish" && values.count_All >= 4) {values.viewingorder = concat(values.viewingorder, "decision")}]

I'm attaching the code. I'm sure this is easy to fix, I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks again so much! This forum is a lifesaver!

Best,
Julia

Yes, you will need to use /isvalidiresponse for this. You cannot handle this with /ontrialend.

Hi there,

sorry for asking yet again but for me, neither /isvalidresponse nor /iscorrectresponse works for me.

When I set /isvalidresponse  = [values.count_All >= 4], nothing can be clicked or interacted with. I cannot move forward and need to end the task with Control + Q.
When I set /iscorrectresponse  = [values.count_All >= 4], I can interact with everything but will be able to move forward without completing at least 4 trials.

I am certain this must be easy to accomplish, so what am I doing wrong?

Thank you again,
Julia

In case somebody finds my post, I finally figured out how to do this!

1) I made a mistake in going through /ontrialend. Instead, I made sure that whenever I started a new trial (in my case, every trial was opening a pop-up box with information), my values.count_All variable was += 1. This variable counted my condition - how many pieces of information every participant had looked at.

2) I added a new branch to my experiment:

/branch = [if (trial.decisionboard.response == "finish" && values.count_All < 4) trial.decisionboard]

This branch forces participants to go back to my decision board unless they have opened at least four boxes with information.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search