Millisecond Forums

Batching Semi-Random Tests

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34056.aspx

By elrpo - 3/16/2022

Hi,
This is my first time using Inquisit, and I've had a look through the documentation but I'm unsure if I have found the correct answer.

I am trying to run 5 tests in one battery. The first is the Colour Word Stroop, the remaining 4 are all set up as surveys.
I need to run the stroop first in all participants, and one specific survey last for all participants.
However, I need the remaining 3 tests to run in random order. All participants complete all tests.

I tried group assignment, but then realised that was for Inquisit V6. Unfortunately my access is only for V5, and from what I can see this can't be done in V5 - at least not in the batch file.

Is there another roundabout way that I could achieve the same outcome? I have read a little about potentially turning the tests into experiments but I'm a little confused on if this is possible, and how to actually do so.

Thank you so much for any guidance you can give!
By Dave - 3/16/2022

elrpo - 3/16/2022
Hi,
This is my first time using Inquisit, and I've had a look through the documentation but I'm unsure if I have found the correct answer.

I am trying to run 5 tests in one battery. The first is the Colour Word Stroop, the remaining 4 are all set up as surveys.
I need to run the stroop first in all participants, and one specific survey last for all participants.
However, I need the remaining 3 tests to run in random order. All participants complete all tests.

I tried group assignment, but then realised that was for Inquisit V6. Unfortunately my access is only for V5, and from what I can see this can't be done in V5 - at least not in the batch file.

Is there another roundabout way that I could achieve the same outcome? I have read a little about potentially turning the tests into experiments but I'm a little confused on if this is possible, and how to actually do so.

Thank you so much for any guidance you can give!

Define three <batch> elements, all three will be executed in order:

// runs first, administers stroop
<batch a>
/ file = "stroop.iqx"
</batch>

// runs second, randomizes order of three surveys
<batch b>
/ file = "survey1.iqx"
/ file = "survey2.iqx"
/ file = "survey3.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

// runs last, administers final survey
<batch c>
/ file = "survey4.iqx"
</batch>

By elrpo - 3/16/2022

Far out. Astoundingly simple, thank you 😅 I can't believe I didn't think of doing it that way 🤣 thank you so much Dave!