Millisecond Forums

Adding a sound to the Approach Avoidance Task (AAT)

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic35053.aspx

By Edd - 12/23/2022

I need help with the Approach Avoidance Task (AAT). This task consists of using a joystick to push or pull an image on the screen. When pushing the image, it reduces in size, and when pulling the image, it increases in size. I want to add a sound that plays when the image appears on the screen, and I want the volume of the sound to decrease when pushing the image and increase when pulling the image.
By Dave - 12/23/2022

Edd - 12/23/2022
I need help with the Approach Avoidance Task (AAT). This task consists of using a joystick to push or pull an image on the screen. When pushing the image, it reduces in size, and when pulling the image, it increases in size. I want to add a sound that plays when the image appears on the screen, and I want the volume of the sound to decrease when pushing the image and increase when pulling the image.

> I want to add a sound that plays when the image appears on the screen, and I want the volume of the sound to decrease when pushing the image and increase when pulling the image.

That will not be possible to implement.
By Edd - 1/12/2023

Dave - 12/23/2022
Edd - 12/23/2022

> I want to add a sound that plays when the image appears on the screen, and I want the volume of the sound to decrease when pushing the image and increase when pulling the image.

What bad news. But, is it possible to justactivate the sound when pushing or pulling the joystick?
By Dave - 1/12/2023

Edd - 1/12/2023
Dave - 12/23/2022
Edd - 12/23/2022

What bad news. But, is it possible to justactivate the sound when pushing or pulling the joystick?

Not really. Each "zoom" step in AAT is a single trial and each such trial will be extremely short -- to short to play any sort of sound, and there is no way to keep the sound playing across multiple trials. Once the trial that initiated the sound's playback ends, the sound ends.
By Edd - 1/21/2023

Dave - 1/12/2023
Edd - 1/12/2023
Dave - 12/23/2022
Edd - 12/23/2022

Not really. Each "zoom" step in AAT is a single trial and each such trial will be extremely short -- to short to play any sort of sound, and there is no way to keep the sound playing across multiple trials. Once the trial that initiated the sound's playback ends, the sound ends.

I have been thinking of a solution, so I have a question. Would it be possible to establish bilateral communication between Inquisit and other software, such as Matlab or Python, in order to output the sound through the other software?
By Dave - 1/23/2023

Edd - 1/21/2023
Dave - 1/12/2023
Edd - 1/12/2023
Dave - 12/23/2022
Edd - 12/23/2022

I have been thinking of a solution, so I have a question. Would it be possible to establish bilateral communication between Inquisit and other software, such as Matlab or Python, in order to output the sound through the other software?

Possibly you can do something along the lines sketched out here:
https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic34890.aspx