Communicate to another program on the same machine

Author
KatrinaMcDonough
Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

I would like to send real time information from a task in inquisit to another program (using python) on the same computer. Specifically, I would like to send timing information to a python script outside inquisit that controls a robotic device that we want to interact with the task. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Katrina
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
KatrinaMcDonough - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

I would like to send real time information from a task in inquisit to another program (using python) on the same computer. Specifically, I would like to send timing information to a python script outside inquisit that controls a robotic device that we want to interact with the task. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Katrina

You can try something like creating a virtual serial port, having your Inquisit script send TTL signals to that port, having the Python script read from the port and acting on that information.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

Thanks,
Katrina

You can try something like creating a virtual serial port, having your Inquisit script send TTL signals to that port, having the Python script read from the port and acting on that information.

Another potential option: Run a local web server in Python and you should be able to have the Inquisit script send requests to that local web server with <html> elements; your Python script should be able to read in that information and control the robotic device accordingly.
Edited 2 Years Ago by Dave
KatrinaMcDonough
KatrinaMcDonough
Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)Partner Member (576 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 10/25/2022
Hello, 

Thanks,
Katrina

We created a virtual serial port as suggested and this works great, thanks!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search