Millisecond Forums

Feasibility auto-selection of stimuli, based on participant rating?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic35605.aspx

By mrl253 - 8/17/2023

Hello, my lab and I are hoping to run a study, and would appreciate some input on the feasibility. Below is the design we hope to achieve.

The study has two parts. In part one, each participant is presented with a list of ~100 words (randomly selected within list) and will be asked to rate the words on a few dimensions.
Using the participant’s ratings of the words, we will select only a few words based on the participant’s evaluation (ex: the word with the highest rating in a dimension) to be presented to the same participant in the second part of the study.
In other words, the specific words presented to a participant in part two depends on the same participant’s ratings of said words in part one.

What we’re hoping for input on is this; is it possible for Inquisit 6 to automatically select words based on each individual participant’s responses and then present those idiosyncratic words to the same participant, in parts 1 and 2 respectively?

Thank you.
By Dave - 8/17/2023

mrl253 - 8/17/2023
Hello, my lab and I are hoping to run a study, and would appreciate some input on the feasibility. Below is the design we hope to achieve.

The study has two parts. In part one, each participant is presented with a list of ~100 words (randomly selected within list) and will be asked to rate the words on a few dimensions.
Using the participant’s ratings of the words, we will select only a few words based on the participant’s evaluation (ex: the word with the highest rating in a dimension) to be presented to the same participant in the second part of the study.
In other words, the specific words presented to a participant in part two depends on the same participant’s ratings of said words in part one.

What we’re hoping for input on is this; is it possible for Inquisit 6 to automatically select words based on each individual participant’s responses and then present those idiosyncratic words to the same participant, in parts 1 and 2 respectively?

Thank you.

Yes, that should be perfectly possible. Here https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic2698.aspx is a discussion of something like this from many years ago, you can certainly build something much more elaborate and elegant today, given that Inquisit's capabilities have evolved since then.